5,599,478 Members 40,302 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Should toolkits be banned?
Yes 15 23.81%
No 48 76.19%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Should toolkits be banned?

Tip us?

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1 View Post
I also see an opportunity for XDA, to have a deep database of solutions: I go to rockauto.com for truck parts->I select make, my model, my year, drill down to brakes, pads, semi-metallic. We could use a similar dichotomous tree/key approach for the everydayman to seek solutions to his issues. Once the data is acquired, it's a matter of efficient presentation, while currently we reinvent the wheel post by post. The information presented, ideally, should be instructive: issue description, how/why it could happen, solutions, with the user required to follow instructions to complete the solution.
This is an excellent idea. How could it be implemented? Who would create/maintain it?

NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK442 FK46 DALVIK XPOSED TWRP2734

The Following User Says Thank You to PhilipTD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wideasleep1
Old
(Last edited by wideasleep1; 5th February 2014 at 10:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD View Post
This is an excellent idea. How could it be implemented? Who would create/maintain it?
Well..just about anyone with the skill set could build and maintain it. Naturally I would want XDA to benefit, perhaps accessible with premium membership. I think it can be monetised, so why not make it self-supporting?

(I mean, a key or tree is essentially an 'if/then' format in its most basic form, and we fortunately have a lot of folks pre-disposed to that structure! )
B/W Sidekick/Color Sidekick2/TMO MDA/TMO Dash/G1/Nexus 1/Sensation/SGS3/Nexus 4/Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to wideasleep1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jjhiza
Old
Thanks Meter 2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1 View Post
I don't disagree, but if we keep the Toolkits and such in general access, that approach is a workable solution. In my experience, Wug, MSkip and others are desirous of helping their users, and would likely welcome it (as I said, to some degree they already attempt to compile and facilitate repetitive solutions).

I also see an opportunity for XDA, to have a deep database of solutions: I go to rockauto.com for truck parts->I select make, my model, my year, drill down to brakes, pads, semi-metallic. We could use a similar dichotomous tree/key approach for the everydayman to seek solutions to his issues. Once the data is acquired, it's a matter of efficient presentation, while currently we reinvent the wheel post by post. The information presented, ideally, should be instructive: issue description, how/why it could happen, solutions, with the user required to follow instructions to complete the solution.
That actually is a very legitimate solution, and I love your idea of monetizing it. I'm all for the spread of information and tools, but like I said, some people need to be saved from themselves. If developers (and xda in general) can benefit financially for providing/hosting their goods and services, I'd be all for it.

I'd also fully support xda or individual devs, if they wanted to create a "learning center" of sorts, with weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly live video feeds (Hangouts?), to instruct users on all aspects of the community... From proper rooting and flashing, to compiling kernels and ROMs, and building themes, or installing a Linux distro - I think many users would gladly pay for a service like that. It would spread information, engage the community in a way that simple tutorial threads and videos don't. It would also allow for non-English speaking users to (possibly) gain information in their native language, this making their experience easier, better, and more enjoyable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Nexus 5 Requiem 4.0 Alpha + Monarch Alpha 5
Galaxy Nexus Requiem 3.1 BLE retired

The Following User Says Thank You to jjhiza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_jordan_
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Tool kit it up.

I dont use em, but I enjoy reading bricked threads posted by those who do.

Still trying to figure out how some people can brick a nexus beyond fastboot revival.

The Following User Says Thank You to _jordan_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

t1.8matt
Old
Thanks Meter 388
I started off using toolkits for my Gnex and N7, but I had nothing but problems with them. After doing a lot of research reading guides by Jubakuba, Efrant and the like, after PROPERLY setting up the Android SDK and associated drivers, using fastboot and adb is a breeze. You get a great sense of self satisfaction after you properly execute a command and you see everything work. I won't even use the toolkits to install drivers anymore as you can find how to install them on Google in minutes, even being on Windows 8 (pain in the ass). Do I think toolkits should be banned, not really. I think it's neat the time and effort that goes into them. But as someone has said before, they should not be at the forefront of Android development forums. And as also said before, if someone who does use a toolkit and ends up messing their phone up, those problems should be posted in the TOOLKITS thread, not countless thread after thread of "Why did the toolkit brikz my phone, HALP?!?!?!" in the General and Q&A sections.
Google Nexus 5

Moto X DE

Nexus 7 1G
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t1.8matt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 559
wow.. deadbeats feeling proud they executed a simple fastboot command manually lol....'I'm so elite, must ban toolkits now!!!!!'.... is that the thought process?

try this one.. fastboot up own arse ego.img

only j/k

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7434
Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenie View Post
try this one.. fastboot up own arse ego.img
Thanks for this. Now I have a brick!

Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wideasleep1
Old
Thanks Meter 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Thanks for this. Now I have a brick!

Up own arse? Oi!
B/W Sidekick/Color Sidekick2/TMO MDA/TMO Dash/G1/Nexus 1/Sensation/SGS3/Nexus 4/Nexus 5

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10487

DONATE TO ME
OK guys that's as far as it goes.

Bat cave One

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

Tags
toolkits