Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,486 Members 41,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tried to mount R/W at boot; won't boot

Tip us?

rootSU
Old
(Last edited by rootSU; 7th June 2014 at 04:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10733
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretcb View Post
I do appreciate your insight, even if it is a little condescending.

I changed the permissions on build.prop because choosing the "Root Explorer" option on ES File Explorer did not alone allow me to edit build.prop, and I downloaded the other app, because I haven't been able to find the "Mount as r/w" option in the latest version of ES File Explorer - it likely still exists, but, I admit, I can't find it. I've checked again this morning, and still can't find it. Nonetheless, I remounted the /system as r/w using the term, verified that it had indeed happened, and I still could not save the build.prop (which, incidentally, is back to its default 0644 (rw_r__r__) since I flashed the phone last night). Just for completeness, I also changed build.prop to 666 (rw_rw_rw_) again just now, and still could not save build.prop.

I will keep working on it, and if you, or anyone else, has any further suggestions, they are more than welcome.
I don't know why I'm being condescending.

ES seems to have changed and removed the setting for mount r/w. It doesn't even prompt for root access so this probably isn't the tool for you.

Anyway, do NOT change permissions of files. Use a root explorer that works. i recommend "root explorer".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote:
That is it exactly. I'm glad to know, though, that I shouldn't choose such a low density on my spiffy new higher resolution device.
Because it is too small. You won't be able to see anything or touch anything.

dpi explanation

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51520848

Here is what 160 looks like on a screen with our resolution

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1349
So many Xposed modules.. I only have two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letharqy View Post
So many Xposed modules.. I only have two.
Haha. They're just the ones with a user interface

18 in total...

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Haha. They're just the ones with a user interface

18 in total...

A bit excessive, don't you think? On a custom ROM too.
Quote:
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letharqy View Post
A bit excessive, don't you think? On a custom ROM too.
No. I need them to give me the functions I need. It's no more excessive than having installed 18 apps to do what the OS doesn't

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
No. I need them to give me the functions I need. It's no more excessive than having installed 18 apps to do what the OS doesn't

True, I guess it's Android anyways and it won't impact it too much unless you mess something up significantly.
Quote:

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10733
There's no resource overhead

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bretcb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
FYI, I installed ROM Toolbox Lite, which includes, among other things, a build.prop editor. That build.prop editor was able to successfully edit the LCD density. I tried 360 to start with, and it seems decent so far. I really appreciate being warned away from trying 160 right off the bat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bretcb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1349
Quote:
FYI, I installed ROM Toolbox Lite, which includes, among other things, a build.prop editor. That build.prop editor was able to successfully edit the LCD density. I tried 360 to start with, and it seems decent so far. I really appreciate being warned away from trying 160 right off the bat.
Lowest you can really use is 281, as 280 and under goes to tablet UI, and it scales everything down way more. I use a density of 300 with a larger dpi nav bar so it doesn't look small.
Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]