Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

How to Play Music From Android Wear – XDA TV

Yesterday, we showed you how to do some advanced things with your Moto 360 quite easily … more

Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more

[Q] True Full screen? (fake hardware buttons)

OP Deathracelord

24th July 2014, 12:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Hi, I haven't been able to find much information about it so... I am trying to run a game - FF IV - in full screen on my Nexus 5. Usually it runs with the soft keys on the edge, but I can get rid of them by forcing immersive mode, however the game remains the same width but is pillarboxed. I have seen videos and images of this game running on other android devices and can confirm it can run in true 16:9 so I am trying to work out a way to do that.

Is there some way to trick the app into thinking the phone has hardware keys? Or to change the default resolution of the app?

Any help would be appreciated if you know anything about thus, or even something similar to this.

Thanks!
DRL
Edit: I am using the Xposed module app settings to force immersive mode for this app(I have also tried universal immersive mode) and have experimented with the DPI settings as well, but with no success. Will keep thread updated as I try new things.
Edit 2: Well, just checked out build.prop, nothing that seemed promising other than the DPI is 480... will keep searching.
Last edited by Deathracelord; 24th July 2014 at 12:37 PM.
24th July 2014, 12:59 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,323

1,219 posts
Donate to Me
My app GMD AHSK (root) will turn on hardware buttons setting. Other than some advanced setting it is free to use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.hidesoftkeys

I don't know if it will help with FF form factor.
24th July 2014, 01:08 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Thanks for the reply! The app is able to hide the soft keys but the game still refuses to remove the black bars... I am wondering if it is some profile based on phone model? Well at least we know it's not a hard key issue.
24th July 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #4  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,115

3,573 posts
More
qemu.hw.mainkeys in build.prop determines whether the device has hardware keys or not, 0 means it doesn't and 1 means it does.

You can add qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 to the end of build.prop to disable soft keys however you'll have to reboot and its not practical to do just for one app lol.
24th July 2014, 01:53 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Thought I'd test it anyway to see if it worked... 3 reboots later and I'm still getting the black bars! I'm starting to suspect the images may have been stretched slightly... I might test on bluestacks or AVD tomorrow. *sigh* This is bugging me more then it should
24th July 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Changed pmy DPI to 160 as per this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=84
However, while everything on my phone is now tiny FF IV still has black bars.
On a hunch I disabled immersive mode on the game, as in tablet mode the soft keys are down the bottom of the screen in landscape mode.
What happened was that the game resized to have larger black bars(maintaining its original form factor) due to the loss of vertical resolution due to the soft keys.
So it appears the game's resolution is set, perhaps it's only the iPhone 5 version that's 16:9? I'm going to switch back the DPI now, before the tiny text destroys my eyes. If anyone else has any ideas, let me know.
24th July 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #7  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 12,365

23,419 posts
More
I just stop using navbar and use Pie instead

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread