XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trying to update to 4.4.2 via TWRP Flash getting error

Tip us?

matthewordie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Trying to update to 4.4.2 via TWRP Flash getting error

I'm new to rooting and android in general. I'm currently running 4.4 rooted with stock I believe. Says ponury kernal in my settings.

I'm trying to flash the update for 4.4.2 via the TWRP install. I get a failed error: error executing updater binary in zip.

I've made sure my zip is the 4.4 to 4.4.2 but still no luck. Any ideas what I can do? Do I need to wipe something before I can put it on there?

tom1807
Old
Thanks Meter 17
On a first thought, you need to get back to the original kernel.
Update from 4.4.1 to .4.4.2. has no problems with different kernels installed, however this won't work from 4.4. to 4.4.2.
The exact error message would be also helpful

matthewordie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1807 View Post
On a first thought, you need to get back to the original kernel.
Update from 4.4.1 to .4.4.2. has no problems with different kernels installed, however this won't work from 4.4. to 4.4.2.
The exact error message would be also helpful
The error was : error executing updater binary in zip. I will look into getting back to stock.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewordie View Post
The error was : error executing updater binary in zip. I will look into getting back to stock.
You need to fastboot flash the system and boot image from 4.4 if you have a custom kernel. Then flash the update

matthewordie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
You need to fastboot flash the system and boot image from 4.4 if you have a custom kernel. Then flash the update
How do I fastboot flash the system and boot image? Can I do that from TWRP or do I need to use the command line with the fastboot? I have fastboot installed on my mac already. I was playing with that as well.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2278
Quote:
How do I fastboot flash the system and boot image? Can I do that from TWRP or do I need to use the command line with the fastboot? I have fastboot installed on my mac already. I was playing with that as well.
You'll need to get the factory image and extract the files. Inside there is another zip file which you'll need to extract. That's where you'll find the images. Use fastboot flash system system.img The Mac command is slightly different, I don't remember exactly what it is. To fastboot boot its the similar format

matthewordie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
You'll need to get the factory image and extract the files. Inside there is another zip file which you'll need to extract. That's where you'll find the images. Use fastboot flash system system.img The Mac command is slightly different, I don't remember exactly what it is. To fastboot boot its the similar format
Is there a method of rooting or a specific kernal that will make it easier to update next time? I'd really hate to have to wipe everything every time there's an OTA update.

Zepius
Old
Thanks Meter 1033
Quote:
Is there a method of rooting or a specific kernal that will make it easier to update next time? I'd really hate to have to wipe everything every time there's an OTA update.
then stop modding your phone if you want OTAs.

its really that simple.

just flash the 4.4.2 factory images.
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2278
Quote:
Flashing the system image won't wipe anything
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1379
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=14

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk