XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tunnel Wifi-Tethered Clients through Phone VPN

Tip us?

RebelMD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt Tunnel Wifi-Tethered Clients through Phone VPN

T-Mobile has been shaping traffic and throttling download speeds after a few seconds on downloads on their LTE network. This does not happen if you are connected through a VPN on your phone. However, I have not been able to tunnel traffic from tethered clients through my phone's VPN- this is a much more elegant solution than running the VPN on each of the clients individually.

I have tried doing this on the Nexus 5 in terminal emulator:
Code:
iptables -t filter -F FORWARD
iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
and it allows tethered clients to still access the internet, but the connection is not tunneled through the VPN.

Any ideas?

Han Solo 1
Old
Thanks Meter 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMD View Post
T-Mobile has been shaping traffic and throttling download speeds after a few seconds on downloads on their LTE network. This does not happen if you are connected through a VPN on your phone. However, I have not been able to tunnel traffic from tethered clients through my phone's VPN- this is a much more elegant solution than running the VPN on each of the clients individually.

I have tried doing this on the Nexus 5 in terminal emulator:
Code:
iptables -t filter -F FORWARD
iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
and it allows tethered clients to still access the internet, but the connection is not tunneled through the VPN.

Any ideas?
You're right, the LTE speed is consistent on a phone that's using a VPN. So what you're saying is that it is not the same on a tethered tablet? You're still getting throttled on the tablet, but not the phone, is that correct?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

If you use a separate VPN app on the tablet, is the throttling still there?
I've got a bad feeling about this.

blocman
Old
(Last edited by blocman; 30th November 2013 at 03:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I'm having the same issue, though I suspect mine is a little more complicated by me getting myself into trouble. I also can't connect to the VPN on my wifi only tablet when using the phone as a hotspot, possibly because the tablet has been flagged by Tmob. I used to be able to wifi tether the tablet and browse the internet, do whatever.. but about 5 minutes into a netflix movie that all stopped, with the TMob tethering sales page now appearing in browsers, without fail.

Either way, attempts to connect the phone to PIA and tunnel the tablet through that don't work at all. Haven't tried ping or anything yet, will do that soon.

Any idea if it could be related to this bug found in KitKat by Cisco?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2250185
https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=61948

They did have the good idea of starring the issue on the code.google page so google takes it more seriously. Edit: NOTE, Please don't comment on the google bug page unless you have something substantive to add. A bunch of "me too" comments only email everyone that has starred the issue, and annoy the google people. That's what starring the issue is for.

RussianBear
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocman View Post
I'm having the same issue, though I suspect mine is a little more complicated by me getting myself into trouble. I also can't connect to the VPN on my wifi only tablet when using the phone as a hotspot, possibly because the tablet has been flagged by Tmob. I used to be able to wifi tether the tablet and browse the internet, do whatever.. but about 5 minutes into a netflix movie that all stopped, with the TMob tethering sales page now appearing in browsers, without fail.

Either way, attempts to connect the phone to PIA and tunnel the tablet through that don't work at all. Haven't tried ping or anything yet, will do that soon.

Any idea if it could be related to this bug found in KitKat by Cisco?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2250185
https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=61948

They did have the good idea of starring the issue on the code.google page so google takes it more seriously. Edit: NOTE, Please don't comment on the google bug page unless you have something substantive to add. A bunch of "me too" comments only email everyone that has starred the issue, and annoy the google people. That's what starring the issue is for.
You need to modify "settings.db" to include a new line in it. Do a little search on here.
Post #252 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2512674

scootley
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Also see here