Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,351 Members 41,615 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] TWRP Backup from one Nexus 5 to another?

Tip us?

kev_gordon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] TWRP Backup from one Nexus 5 to another?

Does anyone know, if I create a TWRP backup, can I restore it to a different Nexus 5? Both phones have been unlocked, rooted and with custom recovery installed in exactly the same way.

Just got a replacement phone, and would rather not have to spend the time to set it all up to my liking again!

Thanks
Sony Vaio VGN-FW11ZU (2008 & still going strong!) <> Nexus 5 <> Microsoft Surface Pro

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_gordon View Post
Does anyone know, if I create a TWRP backup, can I restore it to a different Nexus 5? Both phones have been unlocked, rooted and with custom recovery installed in exactly the same way.

Just got a replacement phone, and would rather not have to spend the time to set it all up to my liking again!

Thanks
Yes you can. But DO NOT backup and restore the efs partition. That will make your new device useless. Only backup and restore system and data. That's twrp's default backup.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kev_gordon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Yes you can. But DO NOT backup and restore the efs partition. That will make your new device useless. Only backup and restore system and data. That's twrp's default backup.

That has made my day! Thank you
Sony Vaio VGN-FW11ZU (2008 & still going strong!) <> Nexus 5 <> Microsoft Surface Pro

kev_gordon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post

Oh... just checked and in TWRP, System, Data and Boot are ticked by default. Should I untick Boot as well then?

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3070
Quote:
Oh... just checked and in TWRP, System, Data and Boot are ticked by default. Should I untick Boot as well then?
Boot's ok, especially if you have a custom kernel

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 799
Quote:
It should be fine, it's the kernel.

ANYTHING BUT EFS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.