5,598,086 Members 43,060 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to see photos transferred from Galaxy Nexus into Nexus 5 in Gallery

Tip us?

ZerReaper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unable to see photos transferred from Galaxy Nexus into Nexus 5 in Gallery

Hi, I am not sure if this is an old issue, but I tried to search in XDA and Google but could not find anyone experiencing the same issue as me.

I have used Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3, and transferring photos between them will still allow me to view the photos in Gallery. But recently when I got the Nexus 5, I transferred some photos over from Galaxy Nexus into the exact same folder where the photos will be saved from the camera, but it does not show up in the Gallery.

I was wondering if it is because the Gallery detects that the photo is not taken from the device, and therefore will not show in the Gallery?

Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZerReaper View Post
Hi, I am not sure if this is an old issue, but I tried to search in XDA and Google but could not find anyone experiencing the same issue as me.

I have used Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3, and transferring photos between them will still allow me to view the photos in Gallery. But recently when I got the Nexus 5, I transferred some photos over from Galaxy Nexus into the exact same folder where the photos will be saved from the camera, but it does not show up in the Gallery.

I was wondering if it is because the Gallery detects that the photo is not taken from the device, and therefore will not show in the Gallery?

Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!
No - the gallery doesn't care about that.
Which folder did you copy the pictures into? Can you browse to that folder using an explorer app? (check to make sure there is no .nomedia file in that folder). Take a picture using your camera and verify where that is getting saved - and see if it shows up in the gallery.

ZerReaper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
No - the gallery doesn't care about that.
Which folder did you copy the pictures into? Can you browse to that folder using an explorer app? (check to make sure there is no .nomedia file in that folder). Take a picture using your camera and verify where that is getting saved - and see if it shows up in the gallery.
Thank you for the quick reply.

I copied them into "\DCIM\Camera".. I can browse to that folder using FileExpert, and confirmed that there is no .nomedia file in the folder. I have also taken a few photos and verified that they are saved in the same folder (\DCIM\Camera), and they showed up in the Gallery.

Currently, the only photos shown in the Gallery are the photos taken by the Nexus 5 and the Whatsapp photos which I received.

ZerReaper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply.

I copied them into "\DCIM\Camera".. I can browse to that folder using FileExpert, and confirmed that there is no .nomedia file in the folder. I have also taken a few photos and verified that they are saved in the same folder (\DCIM\Camera), and they showed up in the Gallery.

Currently, the only photos shown in the Gallery are the photos taken by the Nexus 5 and the Whatsapp photos which I received.
Okay, here is another interesting development. I connected the Nexus 5 to my laptop and opened the "\DCIM\Camera" folder, but I can only see the photos taken by the Nexus 5! But another quick check in the same folder via FileExpert can clearly see the other thousands of photos which I transferred. When I transferred a picture from my laptop to the phone via USB cable, it is reflected in the Gallery. I have no idea what is happening. Please allow me to explain how I transferred my pictures over in the first place.

I installed FolderSync and set up to sync with my Pictures folder on my NAS on my local wireless. As I am not sure how this can be the cause of the issue, I will try to copy manually later instead of using FolderSync, and let you guys know how it goes.

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Okay, here is another interesting development. I connected the Nexus 5 to my laptop and opened the "\DCIM\Camera" folder, but I can only see the photos taken by the Nexus 5! But another quick check in the same folder via FileExpert can clearly see the other thousands of photos which I transferred. When I transferred a picture from my laptop to the phone via USB cable, it is reflected in the Gallery. I have no idea what is happening. Please allow me to explain how I transferred my pictures over in the first place.

I installed FolderSync and set up to sync with my Pictures folder on my NAS on my local wireless. As I am not sure how this can be the cause of the issue, I will try to copy manually later instead of using FolderSync, and let you guys know how it goes.
Check the file properties of these pictures, and compare them to the pictures you took using the N5 - there should be something different.
I haven't used FolderSync, so can't really say what's going on.

On a sidenote, instead of loading thousands of pictures onto your device, why not just use some form of cloud storage? Load into G+ and it should show in the gallery too.

ZerReaper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
Check the file properties of these pictures, and compare them to the pictures you took using the N5 - there should be something different.
I haven't used FolderSync, so can't really say what's going on.

On a sidenote, instead of loading thousands of pictures onto your device, why not just use some form of cloud storage? Load into G+ and it should show in the gallery too.
I have checked the file properties, but there are not much difference in how a picture should be. But I have transferred my photos over using USB cable, and although I could not transfer more than 50 at a time (there will be an android media error on the phone), everything is finally transferred and can be viewed via the Gallery. I am still not sure on why they could not be viewed initially.

I would definitely prefer to use cloud storage. I set up a cloud storage on my NAS so that every single picture I took will be immediately uploaded to the NAS. But the telecom operators here in Singapore have reduced the free data bundle from 12GB to 2GB, so that is definitely out of the question now. Now my photos will only be uploaded to the NAS when it is connected to the home wireless network.

Thanks jj14 for your help. Really appreciate it.

drzplaya1121
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Put your photos in a different folder

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Galaxy Nexus
Jelly Bean Stock Rooted

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Glad it worked when you copied with the USB cable. I wonder what caused the FolderSync method to not work - maybe contact the developer to see if they have any suggestions.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7415
No foldersync issues with photos here, though I only sync TO my NAS not from

Someone else created a thread where they had issues with photos transferred over wifi. See if same issue exists using file explorer over wifi
-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.