Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,308 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Undervolting may affect waking up the phone?

Tip us?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10112
if it cannot get to 300MHz from sleep, the screen won't come on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Undervolting will add minutes only to SoT and next to nothing for overall time. It's not worth the trouble it can cause.

Just my opinion....and experience.
It can help with heat tho if you're having issues in that department

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36 View Post
It can help with heat tho if you're having issues in that department

Yup. Maybe good for gamers....or frequent navigators.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

theesotericone
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Yup. Maybe good for gamers....or frequent navigators.
I'm neither and always UV by a bit. I also revert to troubleshoot if I run into any problems. In this case I'm betting a revert to stock voltages cures the OPs issues.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by theesotericone View Post
I'm neither and always UV by a bit. I also revert to troubleshoot if I run into any problems. In this case I'm betting a revert to stock voltages cures the OPs issues.
I'm all for anyone doing anything to their device.... That's what android is all about.

But undervolting and under clocking is just something I personally never got. I suppose aside from trying to curb heat issues. But not to prolong battery life. It just makes such a minor difference. I've never seen proof showing otherwise.

But, to each their own.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>

theesotericone
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
I'm all for anyone doing anything to their device.... That's what android is all about.

But undervolting and under clocking is just something I personally never got. I suppose aside from trying to curb heat issues. But not to prolong battery life. It just makes such a minor difference. I've never seen proof showing otherwise.

But, to each their own.
True that.

I look it it this way. Less heat equals less stress. Less stress equals longer life. Use any analogy you want but the theory is there. If I ever run into an issue with my device the very first thing I do is revert my UV settings. If it persists, at least I've ruled out UV.

I believe the idea of UVing devices comes from an era not that long ago. IE, inefficient processors. Modern(the last two years) processors don't seem to have that much inefficiency. Could be snake oil on my side. It's habit though.
The Following User Says Thank You to theesotericone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by theesotericone View Post
True that.

I look it it this way. Less heat equals less stress. Less stress equals longer life. Use any analogy you want but the theory is there. If I ever run into an issue with my device the very first thing I do is revert my UV settings. If it persists, at least I've ruled out UV.

I believe the idea of UVing devices comes from an era not that long ago. IE, inefficient processors. Modern(the last two years) processors don't seem to have that much inefficiency. Could be snake oil on my side. It's habit though.
I hear ya! Just see sooooooo many thinking they'll see big battery life gains.... And it seems they usually do this for battery more so than heat.

But yeah, I get the heat and stress part of it. Again, especially for games and GPS and what not.

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]