Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Question [Q] USB Mass Storage not working?

OP D33KK

29th December 2013, 07:07 PM   |  #1  
D33KK's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 76
 
573 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
More
Hi, when I had my SGS3 I was able to plug it into my TV via USB and explore the phones files (helpful to play movies ect without having to transfer it to laptop via USB then to a portable USB pen drive).

However when I plug my Nexus in, it doesn't see it at all so can't go through the files with the file browser.

I noticed when I open 'my computer' this appears - (see screenshot)

My old SGS3 just came up directly with internal storage rather than showing the phone model first, is this related to the issue?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xsda.png
Views:	11116
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	2481707  
29th December 2013, 07:10 PM   |  #2  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,860
 
25,071 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by declan8888

Hi, when I had my SGS3 I was able to plug it into my TV via USB and explore the phones files (helpful to play movies ect without having to transfer it to laptop via USB then to a portable USB pen drive).

However when I plug my Nexus in, it doesn't see it at all so can't go through the files with the file browser.

I noticed when I open 'my computer' this appears - (see screenshot)

My old SGS3 just came up directly with internal storage rather than showing the phone model first, is this related to the issue?

Cheers!

the Nexus 5 does not mount USB storage by default.

You must either:

1) Buy Nexus 5 media importer (non-root)
2) Use USB OTG Helper or Stickmount from play (Free but requires root)
3) Use a custom kernel (such as Chaos) to enable Automount of OTG
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2014, 03:44 PM   |  #3  
D33KK's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 76
 
573 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
More
Excellent answer, thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
3rd January 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #4  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,860
 
25,071 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
No probs.
3rd January 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
83 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2004
This was one of the annoying things I've found with the Nexus 5. Not sure if the rest of the Nexus line is the same but I can't see why the Nexus 5 doesn't have full USB OTG support like a lot of other phones out there. My S3 and Toshiba Excite 10 but support full OTG but why not the flagship Google device?

That said, my Toshiba supports micro HDMI whereas both the S3 and Nexus use MHL and Slimport respectively. I know this is probably due to space constraints to fit two ports on a phone but its still annoying that you need yet another cable to hook up your phone to a TV without any lag like miracast.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
3rd January 2014, 11:56 PM   |  #6  
D33KK's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 76
 
573 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
More
Indeed it's annoying..

I actually tried the first two options of rootSU's answer however it didn't mount (which is strange as I am on stock ROM)

I will try the kernel tomorrow
3rd January 2014, 11:56 PM   |  #7  
D33KK's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 76
 
573 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
More
Damnit double post!
Last edited by D33KK; 3rd January 2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: delete plz!
4th January 2014, 12:29 AM   |  #8  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,860
 
25,071 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by declan8888

Indeed it's annoying..

I actually tried the first two options of rootSU's answer however it didn't mount (which is strange as I am on stock ROM)

I will try the kernel tomorrow

1) what is the usb stick formatted to? Anything other than fat32 will fail
2) whats the error? With stickmount, it just mounts it to a folder on /sdcard. Nothing happens visually

Kernel is best option though

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
4th January 2014, 11:09 AM   |  #9  
Alex240188's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 641
 
1,001 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
I think you are missing what the op is wanting to do.
What you are describing is allowing the phone to access an external device.
The op wants his external device (TV) to access his phones storage.
Unfortunately this is not possible unless your TV supports the mtp protocol which it looks like it doesn't.
Starting in android 4.0 Google moved away from a physical fat32 sdcard partition and went with a scalable fused ext4 sdcard Mount.
This required a new interface because the new style cannot be mounted as a USB mass storage device.
Thus came mtp. (Media transfer protocol)
Using the fused system is much more beneficial in android (I won't go into the reasons now) but it means you cannot use the device with anything that doesn't support mtp access


Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex240188 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th January 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #10  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,860
 
25,071 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex240188

I think you are missing what the op is wanting to do.
What you are describing is allowing the phone to access an external device.
The op wants his external device (TV) to access his phones storage.
Unfortunately this is not possible unless your TV supports the mtp protocol which it looks like it doesn't.
Starting in android 4.0 Google moved away from a physical fat32 sdcard partition and went with a scalable fused ext4 sdcard Mount.
This required a new interface because the new style cannot be mounted as a USB mass storage device.
Thus came mtp. (Media transfer protocol)
Using the fused system is much more beneficial in android (I won't go into the reasons now) but it means you cannot use the device with anything that doesn't support mtp access


Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Oh yes I am missing that.

FYI, sgs3 is an mtp only device

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes