Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB Mass Storage not working?

Tip us?

declan8888
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Question [Q] USB Mass Storage not working?

Hi, when I had my SGS3 I was able to plug it into my TV via USB and explore the phones files (helpful to play movies ect without having to transfer it to laptop via USB then to a portable USB pen drive).

However when I plug my Nexus in, it doesn't see it at all so can't go through the files with the file browser.

I noticed when I open 'my computer' this appears - (see screenshot)

My old SGS3 just came up directly with internal storage rather than showing the phone model first, is this related to the issue?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xsda.png
Views:	11112
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	2481707  

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by declan8888 View Post
Hi, when I had my SGS3 I was able to plug it into my TV via USB and explore the phones files (helpful to play movies ect without having to transfer it to laptop via USB then to a portable USB pen drive).

However when I plug my Nexus in, it doesn't see it at all so can't go through the files with the file browser.

I noticed when I open 'my computer' this appears - (see screenshot)

My old SGS3 just came up directly with internal storage rather than showing the phone model first, is this related to the issue?

Cheers!
the Nexus 5 does not mount USB storage by default.

You must either:

1) Buy Nexus 5 media importer (non-root)
2) Use USB OTG Helper or Stickmount from play (Free but requires root)
3) Use a custom kernel (such as Chaos) to enable Automount of OTG
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

declan8888
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Excellent answer, thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,760
No probs.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

matt_not_andrew
Old
Thanks Meter 4
This was one of the annoying things I've found with the Nexus 5. Not sure if the rest of the Nexus line is the same but I can't see why the Nexus 5 doesn't have full USB OTG support like a lot of other phones out there. My S3 and Toshiba Excite 10 but support full OTG but why not the flagship Google device?

That said, my Toshiba supports micro HDMI whereas both the S3 and Nexus use MHL and Slimport respectively. I know this is probably due to space constraints to fit two ports on a phone but its still annoying that you need yet another cable to hook up your phone to a TV without any lag like miracast.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

declan8888
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Indeed it's annoying..

I actually tried the first two options of rootSU's answer however it didn't mount (which is strange as I am on stock ROM)

I will try the kernel tomorrow

declan8888
Old
(Last edited by declan8888; 3rd January 2014 at 10:57 PM.) Reason: delete plz!
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Damnit double post!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by declan8888 View Post
Indeed it's annoying..

I actually tried the first two options of rootSU's answer however it didn't mount (which is strange as I am on stock ROM)

I will try the kernel tomorrow
1) what is the usb stick formatted to? Anything other than fat32 will fail
2) whats the error? With stickmount, it just mounts it to a folder on /sdcard. Nothing happens visually

Kernel is best option though

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Alex240188
Old
Thanks Meter 635
I think you are missing what the op is wanting to do.
What you are describing is allowing the phone to access an external device.
The op wants his external device (TV) to access his phones storage.
Unfortunately this is not possible unless your TV supports the mtp protocol which it looks like it doesn't.
Starting in android 4.0 Google moved away from a physical fat32 sdcard partition and went with a scalable fused ext4 sdcard Mount.
This required a new interface because the new style cannot be mounted as a USB mass storage device.
Thus came mtp. (Media transfer protocol)
Using the fused system is much more beneficial in android (I won't go into the reasons now) but it means you cannot use the device with anything that doesn't support mtp access

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex240188 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex240188 View Post
I think you are missing what the op is wanting to do.
What you are describing is allowing the phone to access an external device.
The op wants his external device (TV) to access his phones storage.
Unfortunately this is not possible unless your TV supports the mtp protocol which it looks like it doesn't.
Starting in android 4.0 Google moved away from a physical fat32 sdcard partition and went with a scalable fused ext4 sdcard Mount.
This required a new interface because the new style cannot be mounted as a USB mass storage device.
Thus came mtp. (Media transfer protocol)
Using the fused system is much more beneficial in android (I won't go into the reasons now) but it means you cannot use the device with anything that doesn't support mtp access

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Oh yes I am missing that.

FYI, sgs3 is an mtp only device

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit