[Q] Can't uninstall system apps with Titanium Backup in CM11

Search This thread

Cloonix

Sep 6, 2010
Munich
Hello,

i finally got my Nexus 5 today and first thing I did was unlocking the bootloader, installed TWRP custom recovery, flashed CM11-nightly and Franco Kernel (r31).

Next thing I usually do is to uninstall some apps with Titanium Backup (Pro). But I can't uninstall any system apps (e. g. Browser.apk). Titanium says "successful" but after refreshing the application list, the app is still there.

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong here? Is it a problem with CM11's superuser or with Titanium Backup?

Thanks.

Reactions: blessedsword

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
Hello,

i finally got my Nexus 5 today and first thing I did was unlocking the bootloader, installed TWRP custom recovery, flashed CM11-nightly and Franco Kernel (r31).

Next thing I usually do is to uninstall some apps with Titanium Backup (Pro). But I can't uninstall any system apps (e. g. Browser.apk). Titanium says "successful" but after refreshing the application list, the app is still there.

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong here? Is it a problem with CM11's superuser or with Titanium Backup?

Thanks.

What happens if you delete the file with a file manager and reboot?

Cloonix

Sep 6, 2010
Munich

I used Solid Explorer as a file manager and tried to delete /system/app/Browser.apk. The root-confirmation (CM11 superuser) pops up, asks for superuser (i grant) and Solid Explorer deletes the file without error. But the file is still there (without reboot).

Issue with superuser?

Edit: Stop... I noticed /system is mounted as read-only.

Last edited:

Cloonix

Sep 6, 2010
Munich
I tried to analyze the problem... and the only conclusion is, that my superuser is not working. Also Super SU ist not working. I also flashed Omni ROM instead of CM11 with no success. I used an older version of TWRP without success. Does anybody has an idea?

Edit: Before with Stock ROM and Super SU it was working.

Cloonix

Sep 6, 2010
Munich
I don't know why I'm the only person with this issue... But I solved it with the following steps:

1. Flash CM11 (nightly)
2. Start the OS
3. Reboot to recovery and wipe cache/dalvik
4. Install "Super SU"
5. Start the OS

Titanium Backup is asking for root rights. Other apps also didn't get root in CM11. Whenever I install a new CM11 nightly root rights for TB are gone and I have to do the same steps again.

But why no one else has this problem? I googled like crazy. Is it CM11 or me?

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
I don't know why I'm the only person with this issue... But I solved it with the following steps:

1. Flash CM11 (nightly)
2. Start the OS
4. Install "Super SU"
5. Start the OS

Titanium Backup is asking for root rights. Other apps also didn't get root in CM11. Whenever I install a new CM11 nightly root rights for TB are gone and I have to do the same steps again.

Did you leave out Franco kernel this time?

Cloonix

Sep 6, 2010
Munich

Thanks a lot!

Changing selinux to "permissive" did solve all my problems. I also had issues with other applications.

How can I change the selinux mode directly in the CM11-Zip? Under Redhat/CentOS is a configuration file unter /etc/selinux. In CM11 I can't find something similar.

And how it comes that this issue is not well-known? I think there are more 4.4 KK / CM11 users with problems.

Did you leave out Franco kernel this time?

No I flashed Franco after CM.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Thanks a lot!

Changing selinux to "permissive" did solve all my problems. I also had issues with other applications.

How can I change the selinux mode directly in the CM11-Zip? Under Redhat/CentOS is a configuration file unter /etc/selinux. In CM11 I can't find something similar.

And how it comes that this issue is not well-known? I think there are more 4.4 KK / CM11 users with problems.

No I flashed Franco after CM.

No problem. I know that problem was starting to annoy me. Got the idea from playing with a new Note 3. The newer Samsung 4.3 roms are like that too. If you don't change to Permissive then Xposed and other mods won't work either.

I guess it's possible that it's just something strange with certain CM11 and Franco kernel combos?

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com

Cloonix

Sep 6, 2010
Munich
I'd imagine adding something like this in: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48006307&postcount=65 would do the trick, though I have not had that issue in awhile. I switch roms often.

I tried this. And it was successfully changing selinux to permissive with every reboot. But doing this I noticed that even permissive doesn't solve the problem. CM11 built-in superuser just don't work for me. Only "Super SU" by Chainfire works well. And permissive solves a few other problems besides TiBa.

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
Personally I've always eventually had issues with Superuser unmounting the system as rw causing issues with apps like Titanium. Had it happen many many times on my old phone as well as the Nexus 5 across multiple ROMs. I just stick with SuperSU now.

TangerineTractor

Sep 8, 2006
I find this issue sometimes on varous flashes of CM 11 on different devices.
I use ROM toolbox fo manage apps, and sometimes it just wont delete. The solution is strange: I install adaway - somehow, that "unlocks" something that lets you delete apps. You can uninstall adaway once you have run it!

SeEsAw12

Jan 2, 2010
Houston
Galaxy Nexus

I'm replying just to help out anyone who has this issue, but doesn't have a Nexus 5. I was trying to find a fix for me and my Galaxy Nexus running the latest Paranoid Android beta 4.4.2 because I kept having this same problem.. It wouldn't uninstall... and I would only keep getting directed to this specific post. So....

I tried the 'selinux' fix first, and that alone would not do a thing...

I then tried installing the 'Wanam Xposed' app and it worked perfectly.

Just change selinux to permissive and make sure both selinux and Wanam have SU access and then try to uninstall via Titanium... or whatever method you usually use.

Hope it's okay for me to post here. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Reactions: ganghiss

daniu

Feb 27, 2009
No problem. I know that problem was starting to annoy me. Got the idea from playing with a new Note 3. The newer Samsung 4.3 roms are like that too. If you don't change to Permissive then Xposed and other mods won't work either.

I guess it's possible that it's just something strange with certain CM11 and Franco kernel combos?

Hi,

unfortunately the SElinuxModeChanger seems not to work for me (Samsung Galaxy S2, CM 11 m6) and I do not really get how I should install Supersu (the first described solution). I guess I should not just install it from the play store - right? But were do I get an installable zip-file to install it from the CWM?

Or is there anything else that might be wrong in my system - so that I do not need to install supersu at all?

regards
Daniel

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Hi,

unfortunately the SElinuxModeChanger seems not to work for me (Samsung Galaxy S2, CM 11 m6) and I do not really get how I should install Supersu (the first described solution). I guess I should not just install it from the play store - right? But were do I get an installable zip-file to install it from the CWM?

Or is there anything else that might be wrong in my system - so that I do not need to install supersu at all?

regards
Daniel

If you are already using CM11, then yes, you can install SuperSu from the Play Store. Once you do and open the app, it will prompt you to update the SuperUser binary. You should be able to do the "normal" method, and then once that updates, reboot, then try the SELinux app again and then everything should start to work like you would expect. If the normal method doesn't work, then you can let it download the newest zip for you if you choose the CWM/TWRP method, and then boot to recovery and install the zip it downloads for you.

ganghiss

May 23, 2012
I'm replying just to help out anyone who has this issue, but doesn't have a Nexus 5. I was trying to find a fix for me and my Galaxy Nexus running the latest Paranoid Android beta 4.4.2 because I kept having this same problem.. It wouldn't uninstall... and I would only keep getting directed to this specific post. So....

I tried the 'selinux' fix first, and that alone would not do a thing...

I then tried installing the 'Wanam Xposed' app and it worked perfectly.

Just change selinux to permissive and make sure both selinux and Wanam have SU access and then try to uninstall via Titanium... or whatever method you usually use.

Hope it's okay for me to post here. Thanks for the help, everyone!

No clue why, but this worked for me. Permissive didn't do it (was already permissive using CM 11 for tf201) and AdAway didn't do it. Didn't matter that Wanam Xposed is for Samsung devices, once given root to this app, Titanium got its head out of its rump.

UPD: So, if i uninstall Wanam Xposed then TB sticks its head back up its rump. Whatever giving root to that app does, its fixing usage issues with TB.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Flash CM11 (nightly)
    2. Start the OS
    4. Install "Super SU"
    5. Start the OS

Hello,

Thanks.
    Hello,

Thanks.

I used Solid Explorer as a file manager and tried to delete /system/app/Browser.apk. The root-confirmation (CM11 superuser) pops up, asks for superuser (i grant) and Solid Explorer deletes the file without error. But the file is still there (without reboot).

Issue with superuser?

Edit: Stop... I noticed /system is mounted as read-only.