XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Uninstalling Google system apps...

Tip us?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7402
They do. Its called "custom rom"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

slider112
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
They do. Its called "custom rom"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
They also have "titanium backup". Uninstalled. Done. "Custom roms" aren't for everyone. I've run plenty since my original droid days and just never use half the features included. I want rooted stock, and I have it. Thanks for everyones input.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7402
Yep. Can get custom roms based on stock that have skeleton gapps. To answer your statement earlier

"Google apps really shouldn't be installed as system apps if they're available in the play store"

Well yes they should as that is where they are designed to be. They are on the play store to allow updating outside the scope of OTA.

And of course it's your prerogative to remove apps as system apps and make them user apps, but I do get the feeling you're only doing it to continue using greenify without donating. But then again, it's none of my business whether you donate or not.
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

slider112
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Yep. Can get custom roms based on stock that have skeleton gapps. To answer your statement earlier

"Google apps really shouldn't be installed as system apps if they're available in the play store"

Well yes they should as that is where they are designed to be. They are on the play store to allow updating outside the scope of OTA.

And of course it's your prerogative to remove apps as system apps and make them user apps, but I do get the feeling you're only doing it to continue using greenify without donating. But then again, it's none of my business whether you donate or not.

Yep. Can get custom roms based on stock that have skeleton gapps. To answer your statement earlier.

- Yep. Know that. I only flash core/mini gapps packages on the "custom roms" I've run. But "based on stock" isn't stock. Point was more about not needing/wanting the extra features that "custom roms" provide. Especially on a pure google device like the N5.

- Opinion. They're not designed to be system apps and there is no benefit having them installed as such. They're system apps on Nexus devices because they're made by Google, only reason. They're on the play store to allow for users of non google devices to install/uninstall as they please.

- You get that feeling because that's exactly why I'm doing it. Never implied otherwise. Let's not go down the "you should support all developers for their hard work" road here. I've purchased more apps over the years than I care to admit, and continue to support developers and their hard work. Case in point: Titanium Backup Pro; which I used as the alternative here.