Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Too many unrequired apps

OP kunaltyagii

9th April 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Coimbatore
Thanks Meter: 12
 
102 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Hello
i'm new to nexus 5 community having bought it just a week back. i think there are too many useless apps for me atleast which i'm not gonna use at all (ex: google play books, play games, play movies and specially google+)
i was just wondering if i root the device, delete all these apps from system and then unroot it and unlock the bootloader again, will I still be voiding my guarantee and will i be able to receive OTA updates from google??
please bear with my silly question as i'm completely new to all this stuff.
9th April 2014, 05:46 AM   |  #2  
_jordan_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 89
 
409 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
No, if you delete apps, you won't get otas. Read the general section stickies and they explain this in more detail.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
9th April 2014, 05:50 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 346
 
1,449 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaltyagii

Hello
i'm new to nexus 5 community having bought it just a week back. i think there are too many useless apps for me atleast which i'm not gonna use at all (ex: google play books, play games, play movies and specially google+)
i was just wondering if i root the device, delete all these apps from system and then unroot it and unlock the bootloader again, will I still be voiding my guarantee and will i be able to receive OTA updates from google??
please bear with my silly question as i'm completely new to all this stuff.

You can just disable them if you like. No root even required. They will still take up space but they won't keep updating and OTA will work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
9th April 2014, 06:00 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Coimbatore
Thanks Meter: 12
 
102 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd

You can just disable them if you like. No root even required. They will still take up space but they won't keep updating and OTA will work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

but they'll keep showing in play store to get updates and they keep running in background eating RAM. well if i disable then they wont eat RAM but still. Having them on the phone makes no sense for me. but if i'm not gonna get OTA's then nthng i can really do. thanks guys for the fast response
9th April 2014, 06:04 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 346
 
1,449 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaltyagii

but they'll keep showing in play store to get updates and they keep running in background eating RAM. well if i disable then they wont eat RAM but still. Having them on the phone makes no sense for me. but if i'm not gonna get OTA's then nthng i can really do. thanks guys for the fast response

Disabled apps wont update from what I've seen. I've had a few Google apps disabled including Chrome. Only when I enabled Chrome again did it tell me it needed to update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
9th April 2014, 06:37 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Coimbatore
Thanks Meter: 12
 
102 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd

Disabled apps wont update from what I've seen. I've had a few Google apps disabled including Chrome. Only when I enabled Chrome again did it tell me it needed to update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks man. U r right. i disable google+ and it dsnt show in play store anymore. thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to kunaltyagii For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2014, 08:27 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
unnecessary programs
I also have same observation. There shud b some option where those softwares or programs which r not needed n they don't effect the system as well can b uninstalled. Disabling them just don't show them but still they occupy precious space.
9th April 2014, 10:12 AM   |  #8  
gee2012's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,243
 
8,804 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaltyagii

but they'll keep showing in play store to get updates and they keep running in background eating RAM. well if i disable then they wont eat RAM but still. Having them on the phone makes no sense for me. but if i'm not gonna get OTA's then nthng i can really do. thanks guys for the fast response

You could also root the device and delete the apps you don`t need and flash the (4.4.3 ) new image in fastboot and reroot
9th April 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012

You could also root the device and delete the apps you don`t need and flash the (4.4.3 ) new image in fastboot and reroot

Wat is 4.4.3 new image? From where to download?
9th April 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #10  
gee2012's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,243
 
8,804 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifti31545

Wat is 4.4.3 new image? From where to download?

I meant when it is released. You`ll hear them screaming when it gets released, can`t miss that

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
Last edited by gee2012; 9th April 2014 at 09:21 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes