Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,025 Members 52,509 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Too many unrequired apps

Tip us?

kunaltyagii
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Too many unrequired apps

Hello
i'm new to nexus 5 community having bought it just a week back. i think there are too many useless apps for me atleast which i'm not gonna use at all (ex: google play books, play games, play movies and specially google+)
i was just wondering if i root the device, delete all these apps from system and then unroot it and unlock the bootloader again, will I still be voiding my guarantee and will i be able to receive OTA updates from google??
please bear with my silly question as i'm completely new to all this stuff.

_jordan_
Old
Thanks Meter 84
No, if you delete apps, you won't get otas. Read the general section stickies and they explain this in more detail.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaltyagii View Post
Hello
i'm new to nexus 5 community having bought it just a week back. i think there are too many useless apps for me atleast which i'm not gonna use at all (ex: google play books, play games, play movies and specially google+)
i was just wondering if i root the device, delete all these apps from system and then unroot it and unlock the bootloader again, will I still be voiding my guarantee and will i be able to receive OTA updates from google??
please bear with my silly question as i'm completely new to all this stuff.
You can just disable them if you like. No root even required. They will still take up space but they won't keep updating and OTA will work.

W32

kunaltyagii
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
You can just disable them if you like. No root even required. They will still take up space but they won't keep updating and OTA will work.

but they'll keep showing in play store to get updates and they keep running in background eating RAM. well if i disable then they wont eat RAM but still. Having them on the phone makes no sense for me. but if i'm not gonna get OTA's then nthng i can really do. thanks guys for the fast response

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 280
Quote:
but they'll keep showing in play store to get updates and they keep running in background eating RAM. well if i disable then they wont eat RAM but still. Having them on the phone makes no sense for me. but if i'm not gonna get OTA's then nthng i can really do. thanks guys for the fast response
Disabled apps wont update from what I've seen. I've had a few Google apps disabled including Chrome. Only when I enabled Chrome again did it tell me it needed to update.

W32

kunaltyagii
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
Disabled apps wont update from what I've seen. I've had a few Google apps disabled including Chrome. Only when I enabled Chrome again did it tell me it needed to update.

Thanks man. U r right. i disable google+ and it dsnt show in play store anymore. thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to kunaltyagii For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ifti31545
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default unnecessary programs

I also have same observation. There shud b some option where those softwares or programs which r not needed n they don't effect the system as well can b uninstalled. Disabling them just don't show them but still they occupy precious space.

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2920
Quote:
You could also root the device and delete the apps you don`t need and flash the (4.4.3 ) new image in fastboot and reroot
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

ifti31545
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
You could also root the device and delete the apps you don`t need and flash the (4.4.3 ) new image in fastboot and reroot
Wat is 4.4.3 new image? From where to download?

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 9th April 2014 at 08:21 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifti31545 View Post
Wat is 4.4.3 new image? From where to download?
I meant when it is released. You`ll hear them screaming when it gets released, can`t miss that

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue