Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,899 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

System Update button missing

Tip us?

RoyJ
Old
Thanks Meter 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
you are using a custom rom. you cant update ota when using a custom rom, so it gets removed.
As stated above there was an update to Google Play Services that removed the update button (from stock). He confirmed by uninstalling updates to play services and had his system update button back. I couldn't personally tell you what version does this, but if you read the play services thread in themes in apps, it's there.
*Click for device info

ROM: All of them at least once
KERNEL: Bricked Stable
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.3.6.4
Other Devices: Galaxy Nexus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoyJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

firefiber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Okay so now, I did a factory reset, it works. BUT, I can't sign into Google. Each time I try I get the "There was a problem communicating with Google servers" message. I tried with 2-step AND without 2-step. Doesn't work. So my phone is pretty much unusable now without a Google account. Anyone have any ideas about this?

EDIT: Also, about the Play Services, I did mess with it, but that was a couple of months ago. I tried to do something stupid, and lost the Play Services completely, so I had to manually install the APK for it. The System Update thing went missing only a few days ago.

pakjebakmeel
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Well I'm on 100% stock and locked boot loader but I was stumped to see the same issue on my nexus last week. Also cleared caches and settings but eventually had to do a factory reset which cured the issue.

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakjebakmeel View Post
Well I'm on 100% stock and locked boot loader but I was stumped to see the same issue on my nexus last week. Also cleared caches and settings but eventually had to do a factory reset which cured the issue.
Did you mess with the google play services app? You don't have to be rooted to install apks and you could have reverted play services to original settings.

pakjebakmeel
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDrummer View Post
Did you mess with the google play services app? You don't have to be rooted to install apks and you could have reverted play services to original settings.
Nope, just manually updated gmail apk. Other than that not rly anything special. Solved now so no big issue but I noticed this last week.