Ask a question

No registration required

Update ROM - Data Loss or not

OP anshumangoyal

23rd July 2014, 01:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

106 posts
I am running CM-11 Stable version, which means I am rooted as well as custom recovery. If I update my ROM, will I loose any of my application's data?

e.g. if I upgrade to CM-11 Nightly, will be there any loss of data. Or if I want to install some different ROM's will there be any loss of data.

Is it possible to switch back to Stock ROM (Rooted) without loss of data.

Actually managing phone's data is big pain once you reinstall whole OS, So I am really doubtful here.
23rd July 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,536

2,296 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumangoyal

I am running CM-11 Stable version, which means I am rooted as well as custom recovery. If I update my ROM, will I loose any of my application's data?

e.g. if I upgrade to CM-11 Nightly, will be there any loss of data. Or if I want to install some different ROM's will there be any loss of data.

Is it possible to switch back to Stock ROM (Rooted) without loss of data.

Actually managing phone's data is big pain once you reinstall whole OS, So I am really doubtful here.

Do you mean with data your storage or your apps, settings? If you install a new rom you always need to wipe data (that is not your internal storage). If you update you only need to wipe cache and dalvik. You can backup apps easily with titanium backup for example
The Following User Says Thank You to GtrCraft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2014, 01:39 PM   |  #3  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,483

24,592 posts
More
You should always nandroid backup before flashing roms and always keep a local copy of a titaniun backup.

Flashing custom roms dont wipe data. However, you may have to wipe data yourself to get it to boot.

Rule of thumb is:

Upgrading to a new version of the SAME custom ROM, no need to wipe. If you then find something doesnt work, wipe
Changing to a NEW rom, wipe.

This is all covered in the sticky threads. Please click the link in my signature and read the info threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread