5,596,128 Members 33,343 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Update to 4.4.1 low network signal

Tip us?

movielover76
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Default My experience T-mobile

I had fairly poor signal in my house normally 1 bar -108dbm which stayed surprisingly stable, pretty much always the same.
Speeds roughly 5mbps down/ 3 -5 up
I checked it quite often, because I'm anal like that.

After 4.4.2 update I never get better than -113dbm sometimes -115dBm, phone drops to reading 0 dbm but LTE data connection is still working.
Occasional drops to HSPA+ , with very similar speeds to LTE
Speeds lowered 2-4 mbps down / 1-3 up

At office where I generally have a great signal --88dbm I'm now at -95dbm
But speeds are identical, if not a little faster
23mbps / 9 mbps. with beat my old record of 22 mbps / 8mbps

The good news is I'm not left with an unusable phone, the data in my case hasn't gone out at any point.
HSPA and LTE has always been about the same speed in my apartment so if it drops to HSPA+ with more bars I don't mind.

Also this is completely subjective, but I used my phone for about 2 hours of calls last night and the voice quality in my otherwise low signal apartment seemed to be better, less audio issues. Don't know if that's a result of the new modem or not.

It seems to me that this only really affects people who already had a poor signal in certain places, particularly T-mobile users.

While I am more than comfortable rooting and flashing the old modem, I used to be a flash addict.
I was too enjoying using my nexus 5 stock and I'm disappointed that this update which improves so many areas of the phones, slightly degrades network performance for me. As it doesn't cause outright dead spots in my usual usage areas. I am going to stick with it for awhile as see how it affects my usual real world usage before doing anything. Because it's nice to just use a phone and not worry about flashing stuff constantly.

Luckily I unlocked my bootloader first thing when I got the phone, because I know that eventually one day I'll get bored and start tinkering with custom roms lol. So if I decide to root, install a custom recovery and flash the old modem I don't have to reset my device.

For those who went back to the old modem on an otherwise stock device, have you noticed any issues using the old modem?
Sometimes using an older modem can mess with voice calls for instance, which are actually still important to me.
I don't want to lose what seems to be superior voice quality from the new modem, but I'll need to do more testing to confirm that suspicion.
Nexus 5 (Personal)
Stock
HTC First (Work)
Stock, Rooted
Retired Phones: AT&T Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, AT&T Galaxy S II,GSM Galaxy Nexus,HTC Rezound, Thunderbolt, Captivate, Focus (WP7), Blackberry Torch, iPhone3GS

mattfox27
Old
Thanks Meter 83

DONATE TO ME
I was using 4.4.2 radio and noticed that i was always in HSPA+ instead of LTE in my usual spots, so i just switched back to 4.4 radio to see if theres any difference, the big kicker for me was when i went to use Tap to Pay at my local Walgreens which i have been enjoying since i got my N5 and were i never had signal issues suddenly i was with no signal at all, so i went back to 4.4 radio i don't notice any difference in my house but we will see on the road...

t0p8uzz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfox27 View Post
I was using 4.4.2 radio and noticed that i was always in HSPA+ instead of LTE in my usual spots, so i just switched back to 4.4 radio to see if theres any difference, the big kicker for me was when i went to use Tap to Pay at my local Walgreens which i have been enjoying since i got my N5 and were i never had signal issues suddenly i was with no signal at all, so i went back to 4.4 radio i don't notice any difference in my house but we will see on the road...
Dont suppose you can offer some instructions for it?

enzippo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same for me. After 4.4.1 update the signal strenght was dropped down in my workplace. Before I had very good signal compare to my Gnex in the same place. My workplace is a good testing area 'cause there the signal is very fluctuating. Anyways i reverted back to .17 modem and the situation is back to normal (very good) reception. I'm on H3g Italy.

t0p8uzz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzippo View Post
Same for me. After 4.4.1 update the signal strenght was dropped down in my workplace. Before I had very good signal compare to my Gnex in the same place. My workplace is a good testing area 'cause there the signal is very fluctuating. Anyways i reverted back to .17 modem and the situation is back to normal (very good) reception. I'm on H3g Italy.
As I asked the guy before, can you link us to the instructions/files you used so we can do it too?

enzippo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up 4810 39523882

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0p8uzz View Post
As I asked the guy before, can you link us to the instructions/files you used so we can do it too?
Very simple: here are the files u need: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2514095
U need unlocked bootloader and custom recovery. Make a backup of your EFS/modem as described in the link above and flash the modem in zip format!

richport29
Old
(Last edited by richport29; 13th December 2013 at 05:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Is it possible to use ADB to go back to an older modem?

Using fastboot flash radio radio.img

Nikon5400
Old
(Last edited by Nikon5400; 16th December 2013 at 04:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Default LTE speed still over 60mbps

Don't know what the signal looked like with 4.4.0, but with 4.4.2 I have 2-3 bars.
On 4.4.0 I got 65 mbps, with 4.4.2 I get 60 mbps. Tested at the same exact spot as before. M8974A-1.0.25.0.23

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/677620331

I guess no problems with LTE here... or am I not looking at the right thing?

Wifi is another story - 3-4 times slower than S3. Looking for a tread on that

Dave08
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by richport29 View Post
Is it possible to use ADB to go back to an older modem?

Using fastboot flash radio radio.img
Yes, that's what I did.

MikeRL100
Old
Thanks Meter 227
I myself am fine with signal, but if you guys are bugged by this feel free to contact Google support. They can help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Help me out and increase my personal space. I mirror for BaNkS. Yep. Those GAPPs. Donate to him and if you don't have Dropbox, tell them I sent you: https://db.tt/67v8jsEq Also help out BaNkS. Click here to donate to him.