Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,576 Members 43,796 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

After update to 4.4.3 rear camera option is gone **RESOLVED**

Tip us?
 
Hacky2447
Old
(Last edited by Hacky2447; 20th June 2014 at 08:24 PM.) Reason: resolved notation
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default After update to 4.4.3 rear camera option is gone **RESOLVED**

I updated using the OTA update and the rear camera option is now gone completely from my phone. It looks like the camera doesn't even see the rear camera.

I have now rooted it and uloaded The latest Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3 rom thinking it was the OTA update, and looks like that wasnt the cause.

I have tried multiple apps, and they just crash immediately. Tried different roms, different Gapps, as well as wiped everything multiple times. I am worried that the OTA update has somehow killed my camera.

Any thoughts?
 
Hacky2447
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Here are a couple screen shots showing the rear camera is gone from the settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-21-32.png
Views:	44
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	2804184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-20-45.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	2804185  
 
Zepius
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,078
Posts: 2,849
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacky2447 View Post
I updated using the OTA update and the rear camera option is now gone completely from my phone. It looks like the camera doesn't even see the rear camera.

I have now rooted it and uloaded The latest Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3 rom thinking it was the OTA update, and looks like that wasnt the cause.

I have tried multiple apps, and they just crash immediately. Tried different roms, different Gapps, as well as wiped everything multiple times. I am worried that the OTA update has somehow killed my camera.

Any thoughts?
when you say wiped everything, did you wipe system and userdata?

did you restore any apps or anything with TiBu?
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep
 
Hacky2447
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius View Post
when you say wiped everything, did you wipe system and userdata?

did you restore any apps or anything with TiBu?
I wiped everything i could find on the phone. lol

I used the recovery and the factory reset to wipe it all.

Wiped data and cache in the recovery. The only thing i didnt wipe was the Dalvik, as there was no option to do so.

I did restore the apps through the google play store, but i also tried uninstalling the app and re installing it.

I have not wiped everything, and updated manually. I could try that I suppose. I dont see how that would make a difference, as restoring the apps comes from the Google play store doesn't it?
 
Hacky2447
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacky2447 View Post
I wiped everything i could find on the phone. lol

I used the recovery and the factory reset to wipe it all.

Wiped data and cache in the recovery. The only thing i didnt wipe was the Dalvik, as there was no option to do so.

I did restore the apps through the google play store, but i also tried uninstalling the app and re installing it.

I have not wiped everything, and updated manually. I could try that I suppose. I dont see how that would make a difference, as restoring the apps comes from the Google play store doesn't it?

I just tried resetting EVERYTHING. reformatted it all, as well as the cache, data, dalvik, and factory reset.

Nothing brings back my rear camera on the phone. I am going to look for a 4.4.2 stock rom and see if that brings it back. If that doesn't bring it back. Its obviously a hardware issue.
 
Janzen254
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 23
Join Date: Oct 2013
Flash the 4.4.3 stock images from Google.
 
Hacky2447
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janzen254 View Post
Flash the 4.4.3 stock images from Google.
I have flashed back to stock, unrooted,stock recovery, wiped everything multiple times. I uninstalled the updated camera app. used the "factory app" then reinstalled the camera app.


The application Google camera is now back in my application list. However, the phone refuses to see the rear camera. Its almost like the phone decided its no longer there.

I switch the camera to the panoramic or sphere camera setting, and the phone gives the error that the phone does not have a rear camera. I am so stumped its not even funny. I am taking it into T-Mobile tomorrow.
I will update if I get a resolution.
 
Hacky2447
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Thumbs up Resolution: Hardware issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacky2447 View Post
I have flashed back to stock, unrooted,stock recovery, wiped everything multiple times. I uninstalled the updated camera app. used the "factory app" then reinstalled the camera app.


The application Google camera is now back in my application list. However, the phone refuses to see the rear camera. Its almost like the phone decided its no longer there.

I switch the camera to the panoramic or sphere camera setting, and the phone gives the error that the phone does not have a rear camera. I am so stumped its not even funny. I am taking it into T-Mobile tomorrow.
I will update if I get a resolution.
I had wiped it multiple times, unrooted, flashed stock recovery, got the icon to reappear, and the phone still didn't see the rear camera. It was gone. The camera app finally started giving me the error that the rear camera didn't exist.

So, after speaking with T-mobile and speaking with Google (neither had a clue) they set me up with an hardware exchange.

I got the new phone, updated without any issues, and works as intended.

If anyone comes up with the same issue. Save yourself some time and effort. Get an exchange on the unit if its still under warranty.

Thank you all that tried to help with this issue.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Use Facebook Pictures as a LWP with Facebook View

One of the best things that Android has always offeredits users is the ability to tailor … more

Share Your Thoughts Anonymously with A Minimalist Social Network

Nowadays, almost everyone has a second life onthe Internet. Among the best … more

Enable Heads Up Notifications For The Sprint Galaxy S3

Heads up notifications, in case you didn’t already know, are an experimental … more

Android One Goes Live in India!

Android One is a Google initiative set to bring an AOSP-like experience tosome emergingmarkets like India, … more