Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

After update to 4.4.3 rear camera option is gone **RESOLVED**

OP Hacky2447

17th June 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I updated using the OTA update and the rear camera option is now gone completely from my phone. It looks like the camera doesn't even see the rear camera.

I have now rooted it and uloaded The latest Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3 rom thinking it was the OTA update, and looks like that wasnt the cause.

I have tried multiple apps, and they just crash immediately. Tried different roms, different Gapps, as well as wiped everything multiple times. I am worried that the OTA update has somehow killed my camera.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Hacky2447; 20th June 2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: resolved notation
17th June 2014, 11:45 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Here are a couple screen shots showing the rear camera is gone from the settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-21-32.png
Views:	44
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	2804184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-20-45.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	2804185  
18th June 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,088

2,877 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacky2447

I updated using the OTA update and the rear camera option is now gone completely from my phone. It looks like the camera doesn't even see the rear camera.

I have now rooted it and uloaded The latest Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3 rom thinking it was the OTA update, and looks like that wasnt the cause.

I have tried multiple apps, and they just crash immediately. Tried different roms, different Gapps, as well as wiped everything multiple times. I am worried that the OTA update has somehow killed my camera.

Any thoughts?

when you say wiped everything, did you wipe system and userdata?

did you restore any apps or anything with TiBu?
18th June 2014, 12:38 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius

when you say wiped everything, did you wipe system and userdata?

did you restore any apps or anything with TiBu?

I wiped everything i could find on the phone. lol

I used the recovery and the factory reset to wipe it all.

Wiped data and cache in the recovery. The only thing i didnt wipe was the Dalvik, as there was no option to do so.

I did restore the apps through the google play store, but i also tried uninstalling the app and re installing it.

I have not wiped everything, and updated manually. I could try that I suppose. I dont see how that would make a difference, as restoring the apps comes from the Google play store doesn't it?
18th June 2014, 01:30 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:

I wiped everything i could find on the phone. lol

I used the recovery and the factory reset to wipe it all.

Wiped data and cache in the recovery. The only thing i didnt wipe was the Dalvik, as there was no option to do so.

I did restore the apps through the google play store, but i also tried uninstalling the app and re installing it.

I have not wiped everything, and updated manually. I could try that I suppose. I dont see how that would make a difference, as restoring the apps comes from the Google play store doesn't it?

I just tried resetting EVERYTHING. reformatted it all, as well as the cache, data, dalvik, and factory reset.

Nothing brings back my rear camera on the phone. I am going to look for a 4.4.2 stock rom and see if that brings it back. If that doesn't bring it back. Its obviously a hardware issue.
18th June 2014, 01:58 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 9

24 posts
More
Flash the 4.4.3 stock images from Google.
18th June 2014, 06:43 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janzen254

Flash the 4.4.3 stock images from Google.

I have flashed back to stock, unrooted,stock recovery, wiped everything multiple times. I uninstalled the updated camera app. used the "factory app" then reinstalled the camera app.

The application Google camera is now back in my application list. However, the phone refuses to see the rear camera. Its almost like the phone decided its no longer there.

I switch the camera to the panoramic or sphere camera setting, and the phone gives the error that the phone does not have a rear camera. I am so stumped its not even funny. I am taking it into T-Mobile tomorrow.
I will update if I get a resolution.
20th June 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Thumbs up Resolution: Hardware issue
Quote:

I have flashed back to stock, unrooted,stock recovery, wiped everything multiple times. I uninstalled the updated camera app. used the "factory app" then reinstalled the camera app.

The application Google camera is now back in my application list. However, the phone refuses to see the rear camera. Its almost like the phone decided its no longer there.

I switch the camera to the panoramic or sphere camera setting, and the phone gives the error that the phone does not have a rear camera. I am so stumped its not even funny. I am taking it into T-Mobile tomorrow.
I will update if I get a resolution.

I had wiped it multiple times, unrooted, flashed stock recovery, got the icon to reappear, and the phone still didn't see the rear camera. It was gone. The camera app finally started giving me the error that the rear camera didn't exist.

So, after speaking with T-mobile and speaking with Google (neither had a clue) they set me up with an hardware exchange.

I got the new phone, updated without any issues, and works as intended.

If anyone comes up with the same issue. Save yourself some time and effort. Get an exchange on the unit if its still under warranty.

Thank you all that tried to help with this issue.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread