Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more
Post Reply

[Q] Upgrading Nexus 5 rooted with custom kernel to 4.4.4?

OP prnz

25th June 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Currently running Android 4.4.3. I have TWRP installed. To upgrade can I just flash system.img and radio.img within TWRP? I believe that this is how I upgraded from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 but my memory is hazy and this was before I installed a custom kernel. I'm not sure on whether I need to do anything additional such as rolling back to stock 4.4.3 before upgrading to 4.4.4. I've seen people discuss this but I think that's just if one wants to run the OTA update.
25th June 2014, 11:00 PM   |  #2  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,885
 
26,290 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
you can. or you can just dirty flash(no wiping) a stock rooted rom from the android development section, and your kernel, and reboot
25th June 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,262
 
3,158 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnz

Currently running Android 4.4.3. I have TWRP installed. To upgrade can I just flash system.img and radio.img within TWRP? I believe that this is how I upgraded from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 but my memory is hazy and this was before I installed a custom kernel. I'm not sure on whether I need to do anything additional such as rolling back to stock 4.4.3 before upgrading to 4.4.4. I've seen people discuss this but I think that's just if one wants to run the OTA update.

You are correct, except you flash img files with fastboot.
25th June 2014, 11:07 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

You are correct, except you flash img files with fastboot.

Thanks. Is there any way to do it from recovery? I hate having to hook up the USB cable, etc.

Also, this seems a lot easier than what is suggested here (Special Scenario #1) http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...-desk-t2523217

Quote:

1) downloaded factory image from https://developers.google.com/androi...ges#hammerhead
2) extract the tgz, the tar within that, then extract the the zip within that to get the system.img and boot.img files
3) moved these two files into the adb folder (for the fastboot/adb method)
4) downloade SuperSU-v1.80.zip from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
5) put SuperSU-v1.80.zip on your phone's internal storage
6) download the 4.4.1 OTA update zip from http://android.clients.google.com/pa...M.7ed504f6.zip
7) rename it to ota.zip
8) move ota.zip onto your phone's internal storage
9) boot into bootloader
10) open command prompt from your adb folder
11) connect USB cable
12) type 'fastboot devices' to check the connection
13) type 'fastboot flash system system.img'
14) type 'fastboot flash boot boot.img'
15) use volume and power buttons to boot into recovery (TWRP)
16) install ota.zip
17) install SuperSU-v1.80.zip
18) clear dalvik and cache
19) reboot phone

Seems to me like people go to a lot of extra work installing the OTA instead of the factory images.
25th June 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #5  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,885
 
26,290 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnz

Thanks. Is there any way to do it from recovery? I hate having to hook up the USB cable, etc.

Also, this seems a lot easier than what is suggested here (Special Scenario #1) http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...-desk-t2523217



Seems to me like people go to a lot of extra work installing the OTA instead of the factory images.

extra work is done in both those methods. just dirty flash a precompiled rooted stock rom and your kernel. itll take seconds to a minute, and you wont lose anything. and you do that in recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 11:20 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

extra work is done in both those methods. just dirty flash a precompiled rooted stock rom and your kernel. itll take seconds to a minute, and you wont lose anything. and you do that in recovery.

Not to create a flamewar but I'm too afraid of security issues to install a pre-rooted ROM.
25th June 2014, 11:32 PM   |  #7  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,885
 
26,290 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnz

Not to create a flamewar but I'm too afraid of security issues to install a pre-rooted ROM.

have you ever seen or heard(a real one, not just "stories") of a security issue?
Last edited by simms22; 26th June 2014 at 07:58 AM.
26th June 2014, 07:00 AM   |  #8  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 12,264
 
23,261 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnz

Not to create a flamewar but I'm too afraid of security issues to install a pre-rooted ROM.

The ones on XDA are safe. Just as safe as you rooting your stock ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank