5,596,235 Members 35,657 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB Mass Storage not working?

Tip us?

declan8888
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Yes you get it. Didn't the s3 ship with jelly bean though?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7405
Quote:
Originally Posted by declan8888 View Post
Yes you get it. Didn't the s3 ship with jelly bean though?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
No. It shipped with ICS 4.0.x but it always had FUSE and MTP. S2 is a different story though.

S3 could mount external sd as mass storage if rooted but not internal (more info here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448070 )
-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gulrezm
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default question about usb mass storage

Not really a computer guy myself but i take it that a lot of people have said the same thing: the n5 and n4 both did not allow the phones to be used as mass storage devices. This was very annoying to me as I just bought my n5 and wanted to transfer my music onto the phone. I don't see the point in this change nor do I see it as a 'step forward'.

What is interesting is that my friend in Canada who also owns a nexus 5 has no problems using her n5 as a mass storage device. I did not believe her so she sent me a screenshot of her storage options which indeed allows her to use the phone as a mass storage device. Is her n5 manufactured completely differently from mine??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140401-WA0009.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2666298  

GUGUITOMTG4
Old
(Last edited by GUGUITOMTG4; 3rd April 2014 at 03:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulrezm View Post
Not really a computer guy myself but i take it that a lot of people have said the same thing: the n5 and n4 both did not allow the phones to be used as mass storage devices. This was very annoying to me as I just bought my n5 and wanted to transfer my music onto the phone. I don't see the point in this change nor do I see it as a 'step forward'.

What is interesting is that my friend in Canada who also owns a nexus 5 has no problems using her n5 as a mass storage device. I did not believe her so she sent me a screenshot of her storage options which indeed allows her to use the phone as a mass storage device. Is her n5 manufactured completely differently from mine??
you just need to enable MTP on the notification bar and will be able to transfer files like music.
make sure that Nexus 5 shows under "Computer" directory. If it doesn't, need to reinstall the driver
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -{()}- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

aramil
Old
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulrezm View Post
I did not believe her so she sent me a screenshot of her storage options which indeed allows her to use the phone as a mass storage device.
That menu allows you to switch between Media MTP & Camera PTP and not Mass storage.

In MTP you should see the N5 as a media device and drag and drop to it in explorer.
LG NEXUS 5
SGS2(i9100)(retired to the draw)

If Someone helped you, but you can still see the Thanks button, you are doing it wrong.

Those who say it can't be done are often interrupted by people who are doing it.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7405
As already mentioned, that's not USB mass storage. I think your friend perhaps doesn't know what mass storage is but here is a thread I wrote explaining it all

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2534010

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.