5,605,438 Members 44,070 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: How is your experience with heat and battery
>5 hours screen on time, cool device 1 14.29%
>5 hours screen on time, hot device 1 14.29%
<5 hours screen on time, cool device 4 57.14%
<5 hours screen on time, hot device 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Large variance in reported battery life due to overheating?

Tip us?

JesusFreak316
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Hmm, I dunno if I'd say it is painfully hot (thought when trying to wireless charge and use it it gets pretty bad) but certainly quite noticeable. What was the temp in degrees Celsius? I see 70s on the phone and 40s on the battery quite frequently.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Device history:
Bunch of dumbphones
Samsung SCH-I760
HTC Fuze (Raph 110) O2 Wireless prepaid to avoid paying for data
HTC HD2 Running Americanandroid and YukiXDA WP7
HP Touchpad 32GB (Got it for $150 )

My projects:
Rockbox VGA port

bblzd
Old
(Last edited by bblzd; 11th December 2013 at 09:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 178
Phones that get hot to the touch are actually doing a good job dissipating the heat. Though it may become uncomfortable to be absorbing some of that heat it does have to go somewhere.

Nexus 5 uses aggressive thermal throttling to keep the phone fairly cool and according to Anand has a heat spreader between the SoC and battery unlike the Nexus 4 which caused the two to heat up quicker.

The only thing that will stop me from getting over 4hrs SoT (3.5 - 5 based off usage) is if an application decides to keep the phone awake endlessly. I've seen it happen for Google Search and a few others randomly at times. Reboot or force stop fixes that up.
W32

CyberScopes
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1425
My nexus 5 battery also seems really crap, and the back gets hot very quickly. Everything else on this device is 100% perfect. Ive tried everything i possibly could (Different kernel, undervolting, lower cpu freq, change governors, low brightness, most connectivity settings off, ok google off, and many more battery saving aspects) yet i still can only get around 2-3 Hours sot with light usage (XDA, web browsing, social media). Is my device somewhat faulty? Or is it supposed to be like this? And normally when i play games, it drains at a speed of a percent per 40-60 seconds.

And please dont go about bashing me, im just a bit curious on how people get around 6 hours sot.

Sent from my GN5 [D821]
SimpleX | X-Scope | Candy Theme | Sweetener | CandyShop

Device Info >>

Device > Google Nexus 5
Device Version > D821
Android Version > 4.4.2
Rom > CandyKat
Kernel > Elemental X CM

Device > Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY
Device Version > R800i
Android Version > 4.0.4
Rom > NexPlay
Kernel > NexPlay Kernel

justmpm
Old
(Last edited by justmpm; 11th December 2013 at 10:54 AM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2144
I haven't really had to do this on this phone, but I used to chase Screen on battery drain issues with Cool Tool from the play store. It floats a highly configurable window on the screen that lets you monitor a lot of system parameters including current draw - which is probably what you are most interested in here. I think you can also monitor the temp of the device, the cpu utilization, etc., etc. This lets you play with different settings and what not and get more immediate feedback as to what is happening with your device. In the screenshot, I configured the floating window only to show current draw...should be the pink 182 mA.

Screenie:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-11-11-39-59.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2447841  

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmpm View Post
I haven't really had to do this on this phone, but I used to chase Screen on battery drain issues with Cool Tool from the play store. It floats a highly configurable window on the screen that lets you monitor a lot of system parameters including current draw - which is probably what you are most interested in here. I think you can also monitor the temp of the device, the cpu utilization, etc., etc. This lets you play with different settings and what not and get more immediate feedback as to what is happening with your device. In the screenshot, I configured the floating window only to show current draw...should be the pink 182 mA.

Screenie:

Thanks for that link but am I right in assuming most of it's functionality won't work correctly in KitKat? That has been reported with most battery or CPU monitoring apps so far.

I've been looking for something to show me current draw on stock but have only had battery widgets show me the current battery voltage which I don't understand the significance of. Starts at 4300mV when 100% and drops to about 3900mV when nearing empty.
W32