[Q] Voice dialing with a PIN lock on Nexus 5

OP randomtechgeek

2nd July 2014, 01:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi All I have just purchased a new nexus 5 (gear live pre-ordered) in a curious attempt to have a go at android from my Iphone 5c.

I am tweaking the handset at the moment to give me some lost functionality from IOS. I have stumbled across a really painful problem that i can not find a solution to. I use a pair of bose wired earphones to listen to music and use as hands free in the car. On my iphone, I am used to to pushing the mic button and activating the voice dial from the locked screen, all good.

When i try doing this on my nexus, i get the "can not use OK Google until the phone is unlocked" message in my ear.

I have to have a passlock on the handset due to work security restrictions.

Does anyone have a work around for this? I am hoping my new gear live will keep the pass lock when in close proximity (A major flaw otherwise - unlocking your phone before you can see anything on your smartwatch!) in the interim though, putting a pass key in the phone every time i want to make a call whilst riving is pretty poor!

currently on stock 4.4.4. not rooted yet -

Thanks all
2nd July 2014, 02:25 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Newnan
Thanks Meter: 1,667

2,518 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtechgeek

Hi All I have just purchased a new nexus 5 (gear live pre-ordered) in a curious attempt to have a go at android from my Iphone 5c.

I am tweaking the handset at the moment to give me some lost functionality from IOS. I have stumbled across a really painful problem that i can not find a solution to. I use a pair of bose wired earphones to listen to music and use as hands free in the car. On my iphone, I am used to to pushing the mic button and activating the voice dial from the locked screen, all good.

When i try doing this on my nexus, i get the "can not use OK Google until the phone is unlocked" message in my ear.

I have to have a passlock on the handset due to work security restrictions.

Does anyone have a work around for this? I am hoping my new gear live will keep the pass lock when in close proximity (A major flaw otherwise - unlocking your phone before you can see anything on your smartwatch!) in the interim though, putting a pass key in the phone every time i want to make a call whilst riving is pretty poor!

currently on stock 4.4.4. not rooted yet -

Thanks all

I'll be honest and say that being able to make a call with the phone being pin locked would be a security risk. Now as for a workaround I can only think of one thing that would work but it requires some time to configure things correctly.

You could us ethe app tasker to automate this. You can set a profile for when you are in your car. When you are driving in the car (e.g. moving over 10 MPH) you can have tasker turn off your PIN Lock. Then when you get out of your car (eg not moving) it would reenable your PIN lock.

If that's too hard to configure (I can show you if you are interested in the above method) You can just set up a much simpler profile in tasker that whenever your BT headset is connected disable your PIN lock. THough this is less secure.

Those are the only options I can think of and honestly I would be surprised if anyone came up with a true solution to this
Last edited by Sandman-007; 2nd July 2014 at 02:36 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread