Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,179 Members 41,881 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Volume and power buttons stop functioning after kernel flash.

Tip us?

zetorung
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Volume and power buttons stop functioning after kernel flash.

I flashed francor 58 through the franco updater on top of mahdi rom 6/70. When I got boot loops I reflashed r57 (had previously worked) and when it came up I no longer had working volume rocker and power buttons. If I hold down power the device DOES power off. I tried flashing other roms as well as stock and the problem persists.

I did an e2fsck on data and a factory reset with the google image and I still have the problem. The power button also fails to activate the screen in recovery. But it allows me to select and enter recovery from the bootloader.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

emhorner22
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetorung View Post
I flashed francor 58 through the franco updater on top of mahdi rom 6/70. When I got boot loops I reflashed r57 (had previously worked) and when it came up I no longer had working volume rocker and power buttons. If I hold down power the device DOES power off. I tried flashing other roms as well as stock and the problem persists.

I did an e2fsck on data and a factory reset with the google image and I still have the problem. The power button also fails to activate the screen in recovery. But it allows me to select and enter recovery from the bootloader.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you ever find what the problem was? I'm having the same issue.

Mosquito2001
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Help, same here...
I flashed yesterday latest LaboDJ's Linaro (62v2) over an older version and this morning my power and volume buttons aren't responding at all.
I flashed back system.img and boot.img from latest ota.zip but the problem persists.
Buttons are working fine in bootloader...
My current Android devices:
  • Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.4 + root)
  • HP Touchpad 32GB (Evervolv 4.3.1)
  • Hyundai T7 (Stock 4.0.4 + root)

swat4samp
Old
Thanks Meter 485
Did you guys try other kernel? I never heard this problem before. Try to clean flash any rom and see if it solves.

Mosquito2001
Old
Thanks Meter 5
No luck, even flashed the whole L factory image...
as soon as my screen goes off, my only solution to bring it back alive is to keep power pressed 15s and let it reboot. Proof that the button press is somewhat registered in hardware I guess

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito2001 View Post
No luck, even flashed the whole L factory image...
as soon as my screen goes off, my only solution to bring it back alive is to keep power pressed 15s and let it reboot. Proof that the button press is somewhat registered in hardware I guess
Holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds is hard-coded to be a battery pull emulation, not affected by ROM nor kernel.

Did you try running the flash-all.bat? (backup to a PC first)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

GR0S
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Do sensors work well?

Mosquito2001
Old
Thanks Meter 5
ok, I'm not 100% sure how but got my buttons back
What I last did before they start working again was to boot into bootloader then recovery which was still default (open Robot with red triangle).
I kept volume up while pressing power as I've read on some post (hard reset?) and the phone rebooted to android with both volume and control buttons working.
Did I reset something extra or is it pure coincidence? Guess time will tell