Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Volume and power buttons stop functioning after kernel flash.

OP zetorung

5th August 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
I flashed francor 58 through the franco updater on top of mahdi rom 6/70. When I got boot loops I reflashed r57 (had previously worked) and when it came up I no longer had working volume rocker and power buttons. If I hold down power the device DOES power off. I tried flashing other roms as well as stock and the problem persists.

I did an e2fsck on data and a factory reset with the google image and I still have the problem. The power button also fails to activate the screen in recovery. But it allows me to select and enter recovery from the bootloader.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1st September 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetorung

I flashed francor 58 through the franco updater on top of mahdi rom 6/70. When I got boot loops I reflashed r57 (had previously worked) and when it came up I no longer had working volume rocker and power buttons. If I hold down power the device DOES power off. I tried flashing other roms as well as stock and the problem persists.

I did an e2fsck on data and a factory reset with the google image and I still have the problem. The power button also fails to activate the screen in recovery. But it allows me to select and enter recovery from the bootloader.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ever find what the problem was? I'm having the same issue.
5th September 2014, 12:30 PM   |  #3  
Flag Mons
Thanks Meter: 5

41 posts
More
Help, same here...
I flashed yesterday latest LaboDJ's Linaro (62v2) over an older version and this morning my power and volume buttons aren't responding at all.
I flashed back system.img and boot.img from latest ota.zip but the problem persists.
Buttons are working fine in bootloader...
5th September 2014, 01:30 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 575

2,290 posts
More
Did you guys try other kernel? I never heard this problem before. Try to clean flash any rom and see if it solves.
5th September 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #5  
Flag Mons

41 posts
More
No luck, even flashed the whole L factory image...
as soon as my screen goes off, my only solution to bring it back alive is to keep power pressed 15s and let it reboot. Proof that the button press is somewhat registered in hardware I guess
5th September 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #6  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,340

3,812 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito2001

No luck, even flashed the whole L factory image...
as soon as my screen goes off, my only solution to bring it back alive is to keep power pressed 15s and let it reboot. Proof that the button press is somewhat registered in hardware I guess

Holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds is hard-coded to be a battery pull emulation, not affected by ROM nor kernel.

Did you try running the flash-all.bat? (backup to a PC first)
5th September 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 135

720 posts
Do sensors work well?
5th September 2014, 11:34 PM   |  #8  
Flag Mons

41 posts
More
ok, I'm not 100% sure how but got my buttons back
What I last did before they start working again was to boot into bootloader then recovery which was still default (open Robot with red triangle).
I kept volume up while pressing power as I've read on some post (hard reset?) and the phone rebooted to android with both volume and control buttons working.
Did I reset something extra or is it pure coincidence? Guess time will tell

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread