Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Warranty worth it ?

OP Closingracer

7th February 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Do anybody actually buy warranties like squaretrade for nexus phones and find it worth it ?
7th February 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,837

25,028 posts
More
It comes with warranty anyway. I don't expect to use it much after warranty expires.

Insurance in the other hand, for me - yes! Accidental damage, theft and loss. Im inlucky so the peace of mind is worth it. Not everyone is the same

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
7th February 2014, 11:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Well the one I am considering is the squaretade one which doesn't cover loss and theft and while I am covered currently with one of AT&T I am moving to t-mobile because it is cheaper per month and they don't sell insurance on devices you bring with you and in my case the nexus 5 I bought on the play store

7th February 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #4  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,837

25,028 posts
More
So you're asking if insurance is worth it? Not warranty (manufacturing defects)... but the insurance doesn't cover loss or theft? What does it cover? Accidental damage only?

8th February 2014, 05:39 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 980

1,086 posts
Donate to Me
More
The "extended warranty" that is sold is one of the highest profit items for a retailer.

Same goes for the "equipment protection plans" or whatever they call them these days.

Figure what the chance of you using the plan/insurance is over the couple of years your phone is worth replacing. Remember that they will probably replace it with a "refurb" and not a new phone. Multiply the chance of you using it by about $200. (A new Nexus is $400, will probably be worth $200 in a year or two, and $100 not long after that.) That $8 a month is about $100 a year. In two years, you could have held onto the cash and, if something happened to your phone, easily bought a replacement yourself, or used the $200 to trade up to your next shiny object.

As pointed out above, even if you do buy it, what does it really cover?
Last edited by jeffsf; 8th February 2014 at 05:46 AM.
8th February 2014, 05:42 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsf

The "extended warranty" that is sold is one of the highest profit items for a retailer.

As pointed out above, even if you do buy it, what does it really cover?

Covers damage which is what I care about.... $75 deductible is much cheaper then paying $455 after taxes to buy myself another nexus 5(32gb).. Better question is the nexus 5 durable to survive minor drops?

8th February 2014, 05:44 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 387

1,750 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closingracer

...t-mobile...don't sell insurance on devices you bring with you...

Are you sure about that?
8th February 2014, 05:48 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

Covers damage which is what I care about.... $75 deductible is much cheaper then paying $455 after taxes to buy myself another nexus 5(32gb).. Better question is the nexus 5 durable to survive minor drops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD

Are you sure about that?

When I went to the website and looked at pricing of plans and picked bring my own device it didn't give me an option to pick jump plan or a equipment protection plan at all

8th February 2014, 06:31 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 387

1,750 posts
Quote:

When I went to the website and looked at pricing of plans and picked bring my own device it didn't give me an option to pick jump plan or a equipment protection plan at all

You may want to check it out at a store.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread