Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,222 Members 45,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Warranty worth it ?

Tip us?

Closingracer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Warranty worth it ?

Do anybody actually buy warranties like squaretrade for nexus phones and find it worth it ?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9948
It comes with warranty anyway. I don't expect to use it much after warranty expires.

Insurance in the other hand, for me - yes! Accidental damage, theft and loss. Im inlucky so the peace of mind is worth it. Not everyone is the same

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Closingracer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well the one I am considering is the squaretade one which doesn't cover loss and theft and while I am covered currently with one of AT&T I am moving to t-mobile because it is cheaper per month and they don't sell insurance on devices you bring with you and in my case the nexus 5 I bought on the play store

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9948
So you're asking if insurance is worth it? Not warranty (manufacturing defects)... but the insurance doesn't cover loss or theft? What does it cover? Accidental damage only?

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

jeffsf
Old
(Last edited by jeffsf; 8th February 2014 at 04:46 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 975

DONATE TO ME
The "extended warranty" that is sold is one of the highest profit items for a retailer.

Same goes for the "equipment protection plans" or whatever they call them these days.

Figure what the chance of you using the plan/insurance is over the couple of years your phone is worth replacing. Remember that they will probably replace it with a "refurb" and not a new phone. Multiply the chance of you using it by about $200. (A new Nexus is $400, will probably be worth $200 in a year or two, and $100 not long after that.) That $8 a month is about $100 a year. In two years, you could have held onto the cash and, if something happened to your phone, easily bought a replacement yourself, or used the $200 to trade up to your next shiny object.

As pointed out above, even if you do buy it, what does it really cover?
Nexus 5, custom OmniROM builds (don't panic, it means I can brick my SGS4G without fear)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G -- Development version of OmniROM
Fromerly: Development version of Team Acid's CM9 source, Hefe Kernel of Darkness, KG4 modem.
Working on: Cleaning up the build tree for OmniROM and Samsung kernel sources

WiFi Performance, GB vs. ICS, and how to measure it yourself.

FreeBSD, Ubuntu, MacOS X, OpenWRT
Motorola Micro-TAC ("Micro" ) Nokia 2160, 8260, 6681, E70, N900, then had to move on

Closingracer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsf View Post
The "extended warranty" that is sold is one of the highest profit items for a retailer.

As pointed out above, even if you do buy it, what does it really cover?
Covers damage which is what I care about.... $75 deductible is much cheaper then paying $455 after taxes to buy myself another nexus 5(32gb).. Better question is the nexus 5 durable to survive minor drops?

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
...t-mobile...don't sell insurance on devices you bring with you...
Are you sure about that?

ONEPLUS ONE STOCK CM11S TWRP
NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK444 FK XPOSED TWRP

Closingracer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Covers damage which is what I care about.... $75 deductible is much cheaper then paying $455 after taxes to buy myself another nexus 5(32gb).. Better question is the nexus 5 durable to survive minor drops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD View Post
Are you sure about that?

When I went to the website and looked at pricing of plans and picked bring my own device it didn't give me an option to pick jump plan or a equipment protection plan at all

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 361
Quote:
When I went to the website and looked at pricing of plans and picked bring my own device it didn't give me an option to pick jump plan or a equipment protection plan at all
You may want to check it out at a store.

ONEPLUS ONE STOCK CM11S TWRP
NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK444 FK XPOSED TWRP