XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Weak LTE signal

Tip us?

Android.Addiction
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Weak LTE signal

I have the Google Nexus 5 and in the Dallas, TX area I'm seeing VERY weak LTE signals. Inside buildings, connectivity is completely cut off (no bars). Outside is better, but I can literally wrap both my hands and cover my phone and it kills the signal completely.

I tried various APN changes I found on Google and XDA but nothing helps. Anyone having this problem? I swapped to AT&T prepaid in the meantime and signals are absolutely fantastic. However I have problems with T-mobile connectivity on this phone no matter where I go in the metroplex.

MarcquisDale
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I'll just guess and say T-Mobile suck in your area

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android.Addiction View Post
I have the Google Nexus 5 and in the Dallas, TX area I'm seeing VERY weak LTE signals. Inside buildings, connectivity is completely cut off (no bars). Outside is better, but I can literally wrap both my hands and cover my phone and it kills the signal completely.

I tried various APN changes I found on Google and XDA but nothing helps. Anyone having this problem? I swapped to AT&T prepaid in the meantime and signals are absolutely fantastic. However I have problems with T-mobile connectivity on this phone no matter where I go in the metroplex.
Download an app on the google play store called Signal Check and report to me your DBM in LTE

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

How old is your T-Mobile LTE market for Maui LTE just lit up 3 weeks ago and there still tweaking it so far they replaced only 2 panels on their sites I assume testing. Because I get five bars of hspa+ but LTE is one bar and hspa is serving from the same cell site as LTE

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

Android.Addiction
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
Download an app on the google play store called Signal Check and report to me your DBM in LTE

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

How old is your T-Mobile LTE market for Maui LTE just lit up 3 weeks ago and there still tweaking it so far they replaced only 2 panels on their sites I assume testing. Because I get five bars of hspa+ but LTE is one bar and hspa is serving from the same cell site as LTE

Attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389415860617.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2507929

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 323
You do have a weaker LTE signal, try going settings, more, mobile networks, preferred network type

select 3G, report the dbm
Nexus 5
HTC One

FuMMoD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,223

DONATE TO ME
Here's mine

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuMMoD View Post
Here's mine

excellent results!
Nexus 5
HTC One

Android.Addiction
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I did as you asked and it would rapidly swap between three different connection modes. I have attached corresponding screenshots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389416661005.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	2507943Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389416684416.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2507944Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389416706156.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	2507945

wenyi189
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android.Addiction View Post

Very weak in Frisco area, just use 3G instead of LTE, if you don't really need the speed.

mr.r9
Old
Thanks Meter 46
I have the same issue, LTE is bad, but then the phone all by itself jumps to 3G and I loose the signal for 5/10 seconds while it's changing.
Why is that? Is it because of the modem or because of the infrastructure?

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

I have the same issue, LTE has low signal, but then the phone all by itself jumps to 3G and I loose the signal for 5/10 seconds while it's changing.
Why is that? Is it because of the modem or because of the infrastructure?
Nexus 5 - latest Cataclysm