Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,799 Members 38,154 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Weak LTE signal

Tip us?

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 323
[QUOTE=mr.r9;49326535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
its the Modem the modem wants you to have network that has the best signal, it doesn't care about your data speed. i have a 1 bar LTE connection in my home often times it switches to edge/2g to save battery since its got a higher signal strength[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

I know why it switches, but my question is why does it the network turn off for 5-10 seconds when switching from LTE to 3G/2G?
My speeds with LTE are excellent, I didn't expect it to be this good (Qatar-Ooredoo [formally Qtel])

Attachment 2508261
I have no idea why it does that but it is what it is
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

tidh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
LTE from movistar Spain
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389567906642.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	2511755

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

markdapimp
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidh View Post
LTE from movistar Spain
Attachment 2511755

How much u pay for that speed?
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

tidh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
How much u pay for that speed?

Movile phone
-Ilimitated calls
-1Gb internet 4G
-ilimitated sms
Home phone
Home ADSL internet 10mb

mdowns989
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Here's my Tmo LTE Central Coast Ca.

By grace and banners fallen, the Last Battle has come.

jgoedhard
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm on Rogers in Canada. I'm reporting my findings and hopefully this could help.

When I forced my Nexus 5 to only use LTE bands and nothing else. I was able to go to places where the phone would switch to 3G 70% of the time and back again to LTE on the Main Floor. I was able to take it one step futher and headed for the basement where LTE would not exist normaly. With no bars the LTE service continued. 10Mb/s down. And so I went further and started covering up the antenna with my hands and I was down to 5Mb/s down. Just as good as 3G. And with my hands covering the antenna I also used my body and the speed went down to 2Mb/s and stopped working as I was curled up to my hands that was covering my Nexus 5 while in the basement but as soon as I uncovered and a few seconds / minute later the LTE service came back while i was still in the basement.

I don't know if it was a consistent speed but better then 3G with no bars on the LTE side of things.

My assumtion.
The Nexus 5 is interpreting the LTE signal wrong and changes to 3G mode too soon.

I used Network by Philipp Mangelow to change my network settings.