Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 42,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Weird facebook UI = Compromised phone?

Tip us?

coursemyhorse
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Weird facebook UI = Compromised phone?

Hi all. My g/f's Nexus 5 has been having problems with facebook. The skin and user interface suddenly changed and looks slightly different layout. Enough to be noticeable but only just. It only happens on her account though. Also if I clear cache and data and sign her back in, the first time round it all works as normal. It is only until I close the app down fully and then go back in that it does it.

I tried uninstalling all apps and factory resetting but when I try again to install as the first app, it still does it!

Her account was hacked a few weeks ago. It started happening after this. I think a dodgey app has done this. I have fixed her account and resecured but it goes on being a problem.

No symptoms away from her nexus. Only the android face book app does this. Anyone ever seen this?

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to coursemyhorse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OuncE718
Old
Thanks Meter 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by coursemyhorse View Post
Hi all. My g/f's Nexus 5 has been having problems with facebook. The skin and user interface suddenly changed and looks slightly different layout. Enough to be noticeable but only just. It only happens on her account though. Also if I clear cache and data and sign her back in, the first time round it all works as normal. It is only until I close the app down fully and then go back in that it does it.

I tried uninstalling all apps and factory resetting but when I try again to install as the first app, it still does it!

Her account was hacked a few weeks ago. It started happening after this. I think a dodgey app has done this. I have fixed her account and resecured but it goes on being a problem.

No symptoms away from her nexus. Only the android face book app does this. Anyone ever seen this?

As of right now no one will know what you are talking about without screenshots. Please take some before and after screenshots so we can help you.

sent from my neXus 5

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3037
Was her account hacked on her phone? If I thought there might be any malware on the phone I'd flash the factory image and start all over with fresh install of everything. But I'm also a little paranoid when it comes to having my accounts hacked.

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 1999
Isn't FB slowly rolling out a new UI for their app? Could be what it is.
\m/(-_-)\m/

markdapimp
Old
(Last edited by markdapimp; 15th February 2014 at 12:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 320
Facebook app looks the same for me for the past 4 weeks

Try start her phone in safemode then try again https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

coursemyhorse
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
OK I worked it out. Its a new Facebook UI! Its the official android app. They seem to roll it out to certain accounts for some reason. She never signed up to beta test. When k signed in as her on my phone it changed my app layout too. If I then go as me it is changed for me too. If I then clear app data and only ever go on as me then it stays as the old UI.

I thought it was hacked because the UI looks a bit more flat and simple with slight change in tab layout. I prefer the old one myself. I will post screenshots later and I found a YouTube video about it.

Kresshy
Old
(Last edited by Kresshy; 15th February 2014 at 12:05 PM.) Reason: missing info
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coursemyhorse View Post
OK I worked it out. Its a new Facebook UI! Its the official android app. They seem to roll it out to certain accounts for some reason. She never signed up to beta test. When k signed in as her on my phone it changed my app layout too. If I then go as me it is changed for me too. If I then clear app data and only ever go on as me then it stays as the old UI.

I thought it was hacked because the UI looks a bit more flat and simple with slight change in tab layout. I prefer the old one myself. I will post screenshots later and I found a YouTube video about it.

Facebook is abtesting their application. I have got the new UI for few weeks now and before that I had an another slightly different UI.
If you tear the apk apart you can see a lot of interesting abtesting folders etc. Now I have a great flat design and I like it

This is the old UI which I think all of you use:
http://www.androidheadlines.com/imag...re_simrc_0.jpg

This is the new UI for that small user base who is able to test it:
http://www.androidguys.com/wp-conten...i1-630x368.png

At the moment we are at application version 6.0.0.28.28
Google Nexus 5
Google Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to Kresshy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coursemyhorse
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Yeah.
I guess it says a lot about what I think of the new flat skin/UI. I thought it looked so amateur and mickey mouse that it was a redirected hacked app. lol to be fair, it's...alright. I just think it gives no improvement and also the font for the main headings is too large and not a nice font generally.

Glad I got this one cleared up. The hacked account a few weeks prior I think must have just been a coincidence, I guess.