[Q] Weird Wi-Fi Usage Pattern with Using ART Runtime

Tip us?

teddyji
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Weird Wi-Fi Usage Pattern with Using ART Runtime

Hi guys,

Did anyone else notice this strange result after switching to ART compiler? When I check battery consumption in Settings -> Battery, Wi-Fi power seems to be always on for the whole duration of use. Even though I made sure it has been turned off as I left home for work, Wi-Fi is showing up as running since I've unplugged the phone. It's quite a consistent issue. Reverting back to Dalvik would allow Android to record correct Wi-Fi power pattern so I'm guessing this is probably associated to ART. I'm sure I can't be the only one experiencing this issue? Please someone provide a bit of insight.

I'm using completely stock, unrooted, KitKat 4.4.2.

Other than that I'm very happy with ART, not much of a speed boost considering Nexus 5 is already blazing fast, but I can definitely feel the extra snappiness when switching between apps Weirdly, with the Wi-Fi issue, battery life seems to be just about the same (or even better). By the way, I don't believe Wi-Fi is actually on, it's probably just a recording or reporting bug.

Cheers everyone! Please let the conversations flow!

raul90
Old
(Last edited by raul90; 14th December 2013 at 06:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 12
I think you have the "Scanning always available" setting turned on ( Settings>WiFi>Advanced>Scanning always available).

It's a feature that lets the phone scan for WiFi networks even when you turn it off, just for location purposes. So, even if you turn it off, technically it's still on, that's why it always shows in battery stats.

It has nothing to do with ART, I'm using it and it's great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

teddyji
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul90 View Post
I think you have the "Scanning always available" setting turned on ( Settings>WiFi>Advanced>Scanning always available).

It's a feature that lets the phone scan for WiFi networks even when you turn it off, just for location purposes. So, even if you turn it off, technically it's still on, that's why it always shows in battery stats.

It has nothing to do with ART, I'm using it and it's great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Hi raul90, thanks for the reply! I will try disabling the feature, but I've always had the feature enabled, and battery stats reports correct power pattern when I switch back to Dalvik. The only variable is the runtime, no more.