5,606,530 Members 34,150 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What's a file explorer that can r/w to OTG USB?

Tip us?

zolo185
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default [Q] What's a file explorer that can r/w to OTG USB?

I have the meenova micro SD OTG reader and the only way i can access files from through my phone is from TWRP when i flash roms and such. I want to be able to move files back and forth from my phone using the Meenova but i've only seen peopl;e suggest nexus importer but it doesn't really work for me that well, I'm using root explorer right now and it doesn't let me access my usb otg. Basically i want a file explorer that let's me use the meenova to move files and not have to boot into twrp to have to do it and i dont want to have to pay a fortune for an app that will let me do this.

Hammer_Of_The_Gods
Old
(Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 27th January 2014 at 12:59 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4505
Hi,

Take a look for these apps: https://play.google.com/store/search...t&c=apps&hl=fr.

Apps like Stickmount have a free version, you can test... After that I use Root Explorer without any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
The OP is the best place to keep a secret because nobody reads it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer_Of_The_Gods For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zolo185
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking37 View Post
Hi,

Take a look for these apps: https://play.google.com/store/search...t&c=apps&hl=fr.

Apps like Stickmount have a free version, you can test... After that I use Root Explorer without any issue.

Thanks ! Some great results came out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hammer_Of_The_Gods
Old
(Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 27th January 2014 at 01:08 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolo185 View Post
Thanks ! Some great results came out
Re,

Yes , for my usage I use Stickmount (the free version). Once the USB is mounted I can move, copy, delete the files. With Root Explorer the path is /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
The OP is the best place to keep a secret because nobody reads it.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7520
Depends what you want to do. Apps like stickmount are ok if you just want to read/write data on the card through a file explorer. However since these apps dont mount correctly (mount in sdcard for non-root users), they're useless if you want to move game data onto usb otg. Fir that you need it mounting in /storage so custom kernel like chaos is what you'd need

Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zolo185
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Depends what you want to do. Apps like stickmount are ok if you just want to read/write data on the card through a file explorer. However since these apps dont mount correctly (mount in sdcard for non-root users), they're useless if you want to move game data onto usb otg. Fir that you need it mounting in /storage so custom kernel like chaos is what you'd need

How can I tell if its mounting to storage or not. I'm on purity using stock purity kernel.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7520
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolo185 View Post
How can I tell if its mounting to storage or not. I'm on purity using stock purity kernel.

Im sorry, I don't understand the question. Does purity say it automounts USB otg in its list of features? Most roms / kernels do not offer this.

I only know 1 kernel and 1 rom that does. Chaos kernel and Mahdi rom. This doesn't mean more don't do it but I don't know the features if every rom or kernel.

Browse to /storage on the root of your device to see what's there

Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

zolo185
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Im sorry, I don't understand the question. Does purity say it automounts USB otg in its list of features? Most roms / kernels do not offer this.

I only know 1 kernel and 1 rom that does. Chaos kernel and Mahdi rom. This doesn't mean more don't do it but I don't know the features if every rom or kernel.

Browse to /storage on the root of your device to see what's there

Sorry, and it does not mention it in the ROM features and I don't have the USB otg with me at the moment I'm in school. But here is what it shows me now.

*note* the SDA 1 is what I just added to see if it would mount there later on as vicking said above.

Attachment 2542308

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7520
The attachment doesn't work.

If you use stickmount, it will mount to /storage/sdcard0/usbStorage/sda1

Chaos kernel mounts to /storage/USBdisk

You don't create anything yourself. It creates as and when required