5,605,373 Members 40,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wi-Fi Battery Drain Issue Solved (at least for me)

Tip us?

shakuyi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Default Wi-Fi Battery Drain Issue Solved (at least for me)

I thought I would post my findings on here to help people out

Back in the day when the Nexus 5 was on 4.4 there was a bug in Wi-Fi settings related to optimizing wifi. What I noticed was that in BBS I had very very high Kernel Wakelocks for wlan_rx_wake. It was the highest wakelock so I decided to download Network Log which would tell me where the data is coming from. It turns out that my phone was listening for pings from all over my network, it did not matter where it was from.

I saw that Franco had updated his kernel with wifi patches and after flashing it my issues were solved. I noticed that as soon as I unchecked optimize wifi the issue came back so I had to leave that checked.

in 4.4.1 this bug was solved but you need to keep this option checked. If I uncheck it I get crazy Android OS and Wi-Fi battery drain, after checking this the issue is solved.

So in the long run, check BBS and if you see high wlan_rx_wake use Network Log to determine what is preventing your device from deep sleep. Hope that helps.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7512
one of the biggest rx wakelocks stems from listening to the network for DHCP lease renew requests so on home networks its useful to set static ip addresses

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

shakuyi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
one of the biggest rx wakelocks stems from listening to the network for DHCP lease renew requests so on home networks its useful to set static ip addresses

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
I tried all of that still no luck, it was down to this setting. I tested it last night, setting a static IP does not help you need to hve that setting checked in wifi optimization, i also noticed it only happened on certain networks. it happened at my home not at work or school.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7512
I know it was down to this setting for you. You've resolved your issue. I wrote that for other people because it's the most common fix

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

muyoso
Old
(Last edited by muyoso; 12th December 2013 at 07:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakuyi View Post
I tried all of that still no luck, it was down to this setting. I tested it last night, setting a static IP does not help you need to hve that setting checked in wifi optimization, i also noticed it only happened on certain networks. it happened at my home not at work or school.
I still have the issue on 4.4.2 with wifi optimization checked. The only difference is that I havent installed Franco Kernel. On both stock kernel and Faux's kernel this issue is very much still around. Also had a static IP set, and it didn't make much of a difference.

shakuyi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
I still have the issue on 4.4.2 with wifi optimization checked. The only difference is that I havent installed Franco Kernel. On both stock kernel and Faux's kernel this issue is very much still around. Also had a static kernel set, and it didn't make much of a difference.
interesting if you let Network Log run for 30 min while the device is asleep what do you see consuming the network? for me it was all internal IP's in my network (like 2 PC's)

muyoso
Old
Thanks Meter 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakuyi View Post
interesting if you let Network Log run for 30 min while the device is asleep what do you see consuming the network? for me it was all internal IP's in my network (like 2 PC's)
I see like a thousand packets all from my router on random ports.