Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,584 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wi-Fi always consuming battery at idle

Tip us?

BirchBarlow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Default [Q] Wi-Fi always consuming battery at idle

I've noticed that despite setting "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "only when plugged in" and disabling "scanning always available" Wi-Fi continues to deplete the battery at idle. According to the details in the battery stats, the Wi-Fi never turns off at idle (the Wi-Fi is shown as being on the entire time the phone is unplugged). I've found the only way to stop the Wi-Fi from depleting the battery is to disable it entirely. Has anyone else experienced this? Does this have anything to do with the kernel I'm using? Is it possibly a bug in Franco's kernel? Does this vary with the stock kernel or other custom kernels? It's not a major problem, but I'd just like to know why Wi-Fi is using up juice when it's supposedly turned off. Thanks.
Current Device

Previous Devices

Samsung Galaxy S4
LG Xenon
Motorola Slvr L7
Motorola T720
Nokia 3360

ElementalX Kernel

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I've noticed that despite setting "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "only when plugged in" and disabling "scanning always available" Wi-Fi continues to deplete the battery at idle. According to the details in the battery stats, the Wi-Fi never turns off at idle (the Wi-Fi is shown as being on the entire time the phone is unplugged). I've found the only way to stop the Wi-Fi from depleting the battery is to disable it entirely. Has anyone else experienced this? Does this have anything to do with the kernel I'm using? Is it possibly a bug in Franco's kernel? Does this vary with the stock kernel or other custom kernels? It's not a major problem, but I'd just like to know why Wi-Fi is using up juice when it's supposedly turned off. Thanks.
It's a 4.4 deal. Pretty certain it's intentional on Google's part.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: jajb

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 293
The setting worked for me. Whenever the screen was off it would switch to my data connection instead. This turns out to use 3x as much battery while idle then WiFi did in my case.

You could disable background data which wouldn't use WiFi or data but also leave your phone unconnected.
W32
Tags
battery, idle, kernel, wi-fi