Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 54,564 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Hotspot Error

Tip us?

GTI6speed
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default WiFi Hotspot Error

So I'm sure many of you are aware of this issue. I've encountered it twice on my Nexus 5 on both 4.4.2 and 4.4.3. Basically, if you enable/disable WiFi and WiFi Hotspot in a certain order, it breaks the tethering option and says error where it should say turning hotspot on after you click the box. Now, the only way I've been able to fix it is by doing a clean install of the factory images. Even writing the factory system, boot etc. does not fix it. Has anybody encountered this issue and found a way to fix it without wiping your phone?

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI6speed View Post
So I'm sure many of you are aware of this issue. I've encountered it twice on my Nexus 5 on both 4.4.2 and 4.4.3. Basically, if you enable/disable WiFi and WiFi Hotspot in a certain order, it breaks the tethering option and says error where it should say turning hotspot on after you click the box. Now, the only way I've been able to fix it is by doing a clean install of the factory images. Even writing the factory system, boot etc. does not fix it. Has anybody encountered this issue and found a way to fix it without wiping your phone?
I ran into this same exact problem on my N5 after I flashed the bootloader, radio, system and boot from the 4.4.3 factory image. It would say "error" under the WiFi Hotspot option when trying to activate it, even though it was working perfectly fine on 4.4.2. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was happening. I'm not aware of any fixes. I ended up just backing up my stuff and flashing the whole factory image (including userdata.img). Then I edited the database file just like I did in 4.4.2, and now it works perfectly once again. It was all kind of a pain though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

CamaloConsulting
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39 View Post
I ran into this same exact problem on my N5 after I flashed the bootloader, radio, system and boot from the 4.4.3 factory image. It would say "error" under the WiFi Hotspot option when trying to activate it, even though it was working perfectly fine on 4.4.2. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was happening. I'm not aware of any fixes. I ended up just backing up my stuff and flashing the whole factory image (including userdata.img). Then I edited the database file just like I did in 4.4.2, and now it works perfectly once again. It was all kind of a pain though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Experianced exact the same thing. Love the new dailer so I don't want to rollback, but I really need my hotspot at work.

Someone any ideas?

/best regards, Carl-Marcus

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaloConsulting View Post
Experianced exact the same thing. Love the new dailer so I don't want to rollback, but I really need my hotspot at work.

Someone any ideas?

/best regards, Carl-Marcus
Oh. My bad. It looks like I didn't explain as best I could. When I said "...flashing the whole factory image (including userdata.img)...," I meant I flashed the factory image for 4.4.3. Then, I edited the database file like I did back when I was on 4.4.2. So I actually am on 4.4.3, and the hotspot feature is working perfectly (like it was on 4.4.2).

Staggerlee66
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I too had this. Switched to CM, as i was thinking of it and its gone. Have flashed a stock ro m and it was OK

# 47386