5,598,820 Members 32,307 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wireless Charging + Daydream Bizarre Performance

Tip us?
 
NotFromMountainView
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
Posts: 74
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default [Q] Wireless Charging + Daydream Bizarre Performance

This is my first experience with wireless charging so I'm probably missing the obvious here so please, anybody, point that out.

I'm newly using a wireless charger with my N5 & performance just doesn't make any sense to me. It's the Korean/Chinese knock-off of the N4 Orb which others on XDA have used successfully. On basic charging it does work but I can't make any sense of these numbers:

Charging I get roughly 10% per hour -- not great, but okay for bedside/overnight.

Charging with daydream on (Dashclock) on I get a loss of roughly 10% per hour! Yes, the phone keeps indicating it is charging in spite of this heavy drain.

But sometimes daydream just turns off & it returns to charging -- this seems to happen if I start off with the phone (mostly) charged. For the most part though, if I leave the phone on the charger overnight with daydream enabled I'll wake to a nearly empty battery.

As I said, these numbers make no sense to me at all. Part of the problem may be the power source for the orb - it's only 1A but even if it's underpowered I can't see the drop from +10% to -10% /hour.

Second part of my query -- does anyone know if it would be effective (and safe!) to feed 1.2A to the orb & maybe get faster charge. Or maybe that would be enough to keep up with the Daydream drain?

FWIW the the USB charger (1.2A) is very fast, I get better than 1% per minute -- unaffected by Daydream.
 
big_b0sss
Old
#2  
big_b0sss's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 90
Posts: 525
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Belfast
im using this and mine gets full charge within 1 and half hours

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387773165303.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2469566   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387773182782.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	2469567  
GOOGLE NEXUS 4
AOKP
FAUX KERNEL

IPHONE 3GS>HTC WILDFIRE S>LG OPTIMUS 3D>IPHONE 4>XPERIA PLAY>>GALAXY NEXUS>NEXUS 4 >GALAXY S4
The Following User Says Thank You to big_b0sss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mr. Sprinkles
Old
(Last edited by Mr. Sprinkles; 23rd December 2013 at 05:03 AM.)
#3  
Mr. Sprinkles's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 131
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Denver
10% per hour? Something's wrong. A wireless charger shouldn't take much longer than wired.

It's possible your adapter is a dud. Try using the 1.2a adapter, it'll be fine. If it still isn't faster, you might have a bad charger.

Also, if it came with a USB cable, don't use it. The wires are too small to carry a reasonable amount of current.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sprinkles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
GunninZombiesdown
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 46
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromMountainView View Post
This is my first experience with wireless charging so I'm probably missing the obvious here so please, anybody, point that out.

I'm newly using a wireless charger with my N5 & performance just doesn't make any sense to me. It's the Korean/Chinese knock-off of the N4 Orb which others on XDA have used successfully. On basic charging it does work but I can't make any sense of these numbers:

Charging I get roughly 10% per hour -- not great, but okay for bedside/overnight.

Charging with daydream on (Dashclock) on I get a loss of roughly 10% per hour! Yes, the phone keeps indicating it is charging in spite of this heavy drain.

But sometimes daydream just turns off & it returns to charging -- this seems to happen if I start off with the phone (mostly) charged. For the most part though, if I leave the phone on the charger overnight with daydream enabled I'll wake to a nearly empty battery.

As I said, these numbers make no sense to me at all. Part of the problem may be the power source for the orb - it's only 1A but even if it's underpowered I can't see the drop from +10% to -10% /hour.

Second part of my query -- does anyone know if it would be effective (and safe!) to feed 1.2A to the orb & maybe get faster charge. Or maybe that would be enough to keep up with the Daydream drain?

FWIW the the USB charger (1.2A) is very fast, I get better than 1% per minute -- unaffected by Daydream.
So I'm using DashClock also and when it doesn't crash, my phone will charge just fine. Seems like about 3 hours total with daydream on, and about 2 hours with it off just regular charging. Here's my charger: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Seems like you have a defective charger but it is a really weird situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to GunninZombiesdown For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
NotFromMountainView
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
Posts: 74
Join Date: Oct 2013
Thanks guys, the jump to 1.2A made a world of difference! It still seems strange, but I guess there's a minimum threshold for the phone to properly charge. (I am really guessing!) Plugging the OEM charger into my qi orb I finally get a positive charge with daydream -- not fast, but good enough to wake with a charged phone! Without daydream I just got about 36% in the past hour.

A quick scan of eBay and the only 1.2A USB supplies I can find are refurbished LG & cost as much as the full qi orb! (from US with crazy shipping costs on these - I'm in Canada) But there are lots of 1.5A blocks, cheap (and free shipping from China). So... do you think it would be safe to try the 1.5A? According to Play the Google qi comes with a 1.8A supply but I have no idea how much the pad modulates the power or if that is all in the phone itself. It would be nice to have fast wireless charging, but with the dramatic jump with just the .2A increase I may be looking at something too powerful.

My concerns are (in order) 1. Don't want to fry the phone!
2. Don't want to burn down my apartment!
3. Would rather not trash the orb. The orb was inexpensive so I'm willing to gamble on point # 3.

Advice / assurances / suggestions? Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sprinkles View Post
Also, if it came with a USB cable, don't use it. The wires are too small to carry a reasonable amount of current.
I assume you mean USB out from PC since OEM charger is USB and orb power supply is USB as well. Point taken on PC charging though.
 
El Daddy
Old
#6  
El Daddy's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2661
Posts: 3,114
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roseville, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromMountainView View Post
Thanks guys, the jump to 1.2A made a world of difference! It still seems strange, but I guess there's a minimum threshold for the phone to properly charge. (I am really guessing!) Plugging the OEM charger into my qi orb I finally get a positive charge with daydream -- not fast, but good enough to wake with a charged phone! Without daydream I just got about 36% in the past hour.

A quick scan of eBay and the only 1.2A USB supplies I can find are refurbished LG & cost as much as the full qi orb! (from US with crazy shipping costs on these - I'm in Canada) But there are lots of 1.5A blocks, cheap (and free shipping from China). So... do you think it would be safe to try the 1.5A? According to Play the Google qi comes with a 1.8A supply but I have no idea how much the pad modulates the power or if that is all in the phone itself. It would be nice to have fast wireless charging, but with the dramatic jump with just the .2A increase I may be looking at something too powerful.

My concerns are (in order) 1. Don't want to fry the phone!
2. Don't want to burn down my apartment!
3. Would rather not trash the orb. The orb was inexpensive so I'm willing to gamble on point # 3.

Advice / assurances / suggestions? Please.



I assume you mean USB out from PC since OEM charger is USB and orb power supply is USB as well. Point taken on PC charging though.
The official orb charger comes with a 1.8a brick. You should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to El Daddy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mr. Sprinkles
Old
#7  
Mr. Sprinkles's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 131
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromMountainView View Post
Thanks guys, the jump to 1.2A made a world of difference! [...] you mean USB out from PC since OEM charger is USB and orb power supply is USB as well. Point taken on PC charging though.
I mean if your orb uses a USB cable and came with one, don't use the cable it came with. They're often very cheap and add a lot of resistance which will increase charge time.

It wasn't the step up to 1.2A that made a world of difference, it's using a quality adapter that made the difference. Your 1A adapter must have been faulty or grossly overrated. Sounds like it was putting out less than 500mA.

As for a higher amperage power supply somehow damaging things? Not possible. The circuitry in the wireless charger is only going to use what it needs, you could hook it up to a 50A power supply and it'll still draw around 1A. The N5 is also input current limited to 1.2A, so using a crazy high amperage adapter won't have much benefit anyway.

Still, not a bad idea to get a 1.5A - 2A adapter to compensate for whatever current the wireless charger itself uses. This is probably why the official one includes a 1.8A adapter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sprinkles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
NotFromMountainView
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
Posts: 74
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sprinkles View Post
10% per hour? Something's wrong. A wireless charger shouldn't take much longer than wired.

It's possible your adapter is a dud. Try using the 1.2a adapter, it'll be fine. If it still isn't faster, you might have a bad charger.

Also, if it came with a USB cable, don't use it. The wires are too small to carry a reasonable amount of current.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sprinkles View Post
I mean if your orb uses a USB cable and came with one, don't use the cable it came with. They're often very cheap and add a lot of resistance which will increase charge time.

It wasn't the step up to 1.2A that made a world of difference, it's using a quality adapter that made the difference. Your 1A adapter must have been faulty or grossly overrated. Sounds like it was putting out less than 500mA.

As for a higher amperage power supply somehow damaging things? Not possible. The circuitry in the wireless charger is only going to use what it needs, you could hook it up to a 50A power supply and it'll still draw around 1A. The N5 is also input current limited to 1.2A, so using a crazy high amperage adapter won't have much benefit anyway.

Still, not a bad idea to get a 1.5A - 2A adapter to compensate for whatever current the wireless charger itself uses. This is probably why the official one includes a 1.8A adapter.
El Daddy & Mr. Sprinkles thanks, that's just the type of reassurance I needed!
 
Treshy
Old
#9  
Treshy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 168
Join Date: Apr 2013
just use the 2,1A amazon kindle charger with your orb... its cheap, safe and wont fry your phone

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
 
GunninZombiesdown
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 46
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sprinkles View Post
I mean if your orb uses a USB cable and came with one, don't use the cable it came with. They're often very cheap and add a lot of resistance which will increase charge time.

It wasn't the step up to 1.2A that made a world of difference, it's using a quality adapter that made the difference. Your 1A adapter must have been faulty or grossly overrated. Sounds like it was putting out less than 500mA.

As for a higher amperage power supply somehow damaging things? Not possible. The circuitry in the wireless charger is only going to use what it needs, you could hook it up to a 50A power supply and it'll still draw around 1A. The N5 is also input current limited to 1.2A, so using a crazy high amperage adapter won't have much benefit anyway.

Still, not a bad idea to get a 1.5A - 2A adapter to compensate for whatever current the wireless charger itself uses. This is probably why the official one includes a 1.8A adapter.
So from what I heard wireless charging, like a pogo plug can charge at a higher rate than the micro USB port in some devices (I've heard pogo plug can go up to 2.5A where the micro USB in that device is limited to 1.8A). So I'm wondering as these qi chargers get better, will this also be true. Mine is a 1A but seems like it charges around .8A so it's maxed out. I guess this also raises the question as to how fast is good for a battery also.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tags
charging, daydream, nexus 5, wireless charging
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes