Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

My wireless TYLT charger almost melted my N5...

6th January 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 52

282 posts
I set my N5 on my charger (it was at 90%) after lunch and then walked away from my desk. I got back to my desk and saw the LED blinking from a text message so I turned the screen on and realized it was SUPER hot and the charge was only at 81% even though it had the lightning bolt over the battery icon as if it is charging.

Has anyone else had this happen and should I be worried it damaged my phone?? The phone was almost too hot to handle, so I turned it off immediately in hopes it would cool down faster/reduce the harm to hardware.

I've been using the charger without any issues for over a month now, but this might be the last time I trust it.
6th January 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 24

83 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekyndnunwind

I set my N5 on my charger (it was at 90%) after lunch and then walked away from my desk. I got back to my desk and saw the LED blinking from a text message so I turned the screen on and realized it was SUPER hot and the charge was only at 81% even though it had the lightning bolt over the battery icon as if it is charging.

Has anyone else had this happen and should I be worried it damaged my phone?? The phone was almost too hot to handle, so I turned it off immediately in hopes it would cool down faster/reduce the harm to hardware.

I've been using the charger without any issues for over a month now, but this might be the last time I trust it.

This is a known issue with the TYLT and the N5: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2571188

You can try turning off Day Dream. This will help some.
Last edited by stbxxl; 6th January 2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added forum link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stbxxl For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 323

1,283 posts
More
my cheap ass 21$ Qi charger never does this check it out
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2585159

youtube video attached
7th January 2014, 12:50 AM   |  #4  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,095

5,243 posts
More
I'm really curious as to what's causing this because I've been using the TYLT daily for a few weeks and my phone doesn't even get warm. Kinda nervous to continue using it though.
7th January 2014, 02:37 AM   |  #5  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 303

1,347 posts
More
Wireless charging already can heat up the phone by a few more degrees then using a wire.

People are then doing things such as Daydream or simply running apps which are causing the phone to have a high current draw which could potentially cause issues such as:

-using more power then is being provided
-getting very hot from being both used and charged at the same time.
7th January 2014, 07:04 AM   |  #6  
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 137

419 posts
More
Welp. Unfortunately, it looks like I can be added to the list of those who have been "burned" by the Tylt Vu. I've been using two different ones for about two weeks now with no issues at all. The hottest my N5 would ever get would be around 37C (but it would usually hover around 34-35C). I've been keeping an eye on the battery temp since reading all these horror stories of overheating. Tonight, it was charging fine when I picked my phone up to check a text and mess around for a couple minutes. When I put it back on, it was probably around 37-38C or so. I was sitting next to it and touched the screen to check the temp, and it felt REALLY hot (only about 5-10 minutes after setting the phone back down to charge). So I took it off and the battery temp was showing 49.5C with "health" saying "overheating". I always make sure the screen is turned off after putting it on the charger, so I know it wasn't in daydream or anything. Kinda freaked me out. I love these chargers, but my faith in leaving them unattended while charging is now shaky at best.
The Following User Says Thank You to charesa39 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 52

282 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39

Welp. Unfortunately, it looks like I can be added to the list of those who have been "burned" by the Tylt Vu. I've been using two different ones for about two weeks now with no issues at all. The hottest my N5 would ever get would be around 37C (but it would usually hover around 34-35C). I've been keeping an eye on the battery temp since reading all these horror stories of overheating. Tonight, it was charging fine when I picked my phone up to check a text and mess around for a couple minutes. When I put it back on, it was probably around 37-38C or so. I was sitting next to it and touched the screen to check the temp, and it felt REALLY hot (only about 5-10 minutes after setting the phone back down to charge). So I took it off and the battery temp was showing 49.5C with "health" saying "overheating". I always make sure the screen is turned off after putting it on the charger, so I know it wasn't in daydream or anything. Kinda freaked me out. I love these chargers, but my faith in leaving them unattended while charging is now shaky at best.

When it happened to me I never turned the screen on during charging either.

And for the record I have never used the Daydream feature :-/

I was excited at first of the premise of wireless charging particularly to cut down on wear and tear to the micro USB port, but now I'm back to the old fashioned way.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread