Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 45,463 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it the wrong time to upgrade?

Tip us?

skezza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Default [Q] Is it the wrong time to upgrade?

OK, So I'm a loyal Nexus user, but I felt comfortable with my Nexus 4 so I decided not to upgrade at first. We're now into March, which means we're less than 12 months away from the Nexus 6, so is now the wrong time upgrade to the Nexus 5? There's been no discounts for the Nexus 5 yet so it's not as if I'd be saving money and with the rumours than the Nexus 6 will use an octa core, that could literally render the Nexus 5 worthless to many.

What do you think?

beaver2233
Old
Thanks Meter 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by skezza View Post
rumours that the Nexus 6 will use an octa core, that could literally render the Nexus 5 worthless to many.
well that's not true. just because it has more cores doesn't necessarily mean much (+ it's a rumour) - definitely considering how much of a powerhouse the N5 is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pain-N-Panic
Old
Thanks Meter 195
That's a decision you have to make on your own man. In today's technologically driven world, that new, better, faster, sleeker device is always going to be "just around the corner." For me, the Nexus 5 is the best phone I have ever used. Have you seen the development forums (we have TWO by the way!!!! lol), there's enough ROMS for you to flash and play with for well over a year lol. If you feel you've outgrown the Nexus 4 and want something better, then go ahead and pickup the N5. If you're content with your N4 then I guess go ahead and wait..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pain-N-Panic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ubichinon
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Yeah, cause when a new phone comes out, your old one just stops working and gets useless

To be honost, i dont think any processor in the next 2 years will be much better than the one in the nexus 5. Its already powerful enough as it is.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10045
I'd wait for the 6 personally. Only because its not much of a jump for me, 4 to 5.... same as s3 to s4 or HTC one to one 2...

Not jump enough to be out of pocket

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

903tex
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Depends on how much you can get for the n4 to me! Just got my nexus 5 and its whole lot better this time around(last one I had had that yellowish tint) I think is it especially if you live in a area that will get you lte speeds

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current Device

Nexus 5

Previous Devices
TO MANY TO LIST!!! LOL

IF I HELPED YOU WITH ANYTHING HIT THAT THANKS BUTTON.......

surrealjam
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I would wait until either the Nexus 6 or the Nexus 5 is reduced in price. Google obviously reduced the Nexus 4 quite heavily at the end of its life-cycle and I would imagine they will do the same in the not so near future.

Evolution_Freak
Old
Thanks Meter 331
I purchased my N5 on Amazon. Brand new, I paid a total of $37.09 USD. I was eligible for my two year upgrade through Sprint. I'm not sure which carrier you have but I would say it's definitely worth checking out. Also check wirefly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

galaxys
Old
Thanks Meter 526
Get the N5 now, sell the N4, then later get the N6 and sell the N5........
LGNexus5(art+purity+codeblue+twrp)&LGGPad8.3(gpe)< LGNexus4sold <HTCSensationsold <HTCNexus1sold <HTCHermessold <LG5250sold <MotorolaStarTacvault.
The XDA Cheerleaders hope your devices are winners! Happy Flashing!

Galaxys Enterprises: Fashion is a Passion - Life in the Cardio Fast Lane - High Energy EDM Mix - Travel is a Universal High!

GUGUITOMTG4
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Waiting for a price cut from Google won't make sense in your case since what you care is being up to date. Why wait for a price cut if by then, the N6 will be 2-4 moths away and you will be in the same situation as right now (should I buy the 6 or wait for the 16 cores nexus phone 7)
As galaxys said, sell N4 now and get the 5.
Or don't get the 5 at all because the Nexus 4 performs well on 4.4. and wait for the 6.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -{()}- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -