Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Is it the wrong time to upgrade?

23rd March 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 89
762 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2007
OK, So I'm a loyal Nexus user, but I felt comfortable with my Nexus 4 so I decided not to upgrade at first. We're now into March, which means we're less than 12 months away from the Nexus 6, so is now the wrong time upgrade to the Nexus 5? There's been no discounts for the Nexus 5 yet so it's not as if I'd be saving money and with the rumours than the Nexus 6 will use an octa core, that could literally render the Nexus 5 worthless to many.

What do you think?
23rd March 2014, 01:34 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 490
2,031 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Originally Posted by skezza

rumours that the Nexus 6 will use an octa core, that could literally render the Nexus 5 worthless to many.

well that's not true. just because it has more cores doesn't necessarily mean much (+ it's a rumour) - definitely considering how much of a powerhouse the N5 is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd March 2014, 01:35 PM   |  #3  
Pain-N-Panic's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Droid
Thanks Meter: 231
914 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
That's a decision you have to make on your own man. In today's technologically driven world, that new, better, faster, sleeker device is always going to be "just around the corner." For me, the Nexus 5 is the best phone I have ever used. Have you seen the development forums (we have TWO by the way!!!! lol), there's enough ROMS for you to flash and play with for well over a year lol. If you feel you've outgrown the Nexus 4 and want something better, then go ahead and pickup the N5. If you're content with your N4 then I guess go ahead and wait..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pain-N-Panic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2014, 01:36 PM   |  #4  
Ubichinon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
231 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Yeah, cause when a new phone comes out, your old one just stops working and gets useless

To be honost, i dont think any processor in the next 2 years will be much better than the one in the nexus 5. Its already powerful enough as it is.
23rd March 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #5  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 16,157
27,703 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
I'd wait for the 6 personally. Only because its not much of a jump for me, 4 to 5.... same as s3 to s4 or HTC one to one 2...

Not jump enough to be out of pocket

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd March 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #6  
903tex's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tyler, Texas
Thanks Meter: 209
1,007 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
Depends on how much you can get for the n4 to me! Just got my nexus 5 and its whole lot better this time around(last one I had had that yellowish tint) I think is it especially if you live in a area that will get you lte speeds

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd March 2014, 02:30 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 91
411 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
I would wait until either the Nexus 6 or the Nexus 5 is reduced in price. Google obviously reduced the Nexus 4 quite heavily at the end of its life-cycle and I would imagine they will do the same in the not so near future.
23rd March 2014, 02:43 PM   |  #8  
Evolution_Freak's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag East Stroudsburg
Thanks Meter: 572
1,106 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Donate to Me
I purchased my N5 on Amazon. Brand new, I paid a total of $37.09 USD. I was eligible for my two year upgrade through Sprint. I'm not sure which carrier you have but I would say it's definitely worth checking out. Also check wirefly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd March 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #9  
galaxys's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vegas & Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 685
8,422 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
Get the N5 now, sell the N4, then later get the N6 and sell the N5........
23rd March 2014, 06:33 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 203
554 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Waiting for a price cut from Google won't make sense in your case since what you care is being up to date. Why wait for a price cut if by then, the N6 will be 2-4 moths away and you will be in the same situation as right now (should I buy the 6 or wait for the 16 cores nexus phone 7)
As galaxys said, sell N4 now and get the 5.
Or don't get the 5 at all because the Nexus 4 performs well on 4.4. and wait for the 6.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes