mm, then i would:

1. factory image (clean base)
2. root & TWRP
3. flashed Chroma Rom, Gapps and CodeBlue
3.a boot rom, configure first boot setup
3.b reboot recovery
3.c wipe caches
4. nadroid backup (/data only)
5. copy backup to PC, renamed "ext4" in data-backup name to f2fs (also the md5 files)
6. converted data/cache to f2fs in recovery, reboot recovery
6.a check it is still F2FS
6.b flash codeblue again
7. copy backup files back to the phone, restore data
7.a check it is still F2FS
7.b reboot recovery and re-check /data and /cache are still F2FS
8. reboot the system
9. after setup of Google account etc. I rebooted to recovery again, and now cache and data were labelled as ext4 in the advanced wipe section.

If that still fails, either your rom, kernel, of the gods, wont do F2FS :p

Thank you for your help and quick answers! I will try that, should I use a specific version of TWRP? like 2.8.5.2 (.3 doesn´t allow MTP) or 2.8.6.0/.1 or some other version? Some seem to be buggy/not correctly working. I just want to avoid another hour of f&f (flash and frustrate)

milestone2mod

Mar 20, 2012
no idea really, i always use the latest i can find, unless i see/hear it has issues.

i am on 2.8.6.1 now, trying cm12.1 caf,without f2fs for now.

Alright, and what do I do, when I wnat to update the ROM? I remember when i tried f2fs the first time (with 5.0), I flashed the ROM update, then a dummy kernel (boot cache&date f2fs), and then CodeBlue.

cocchiararo

Sep 11, 2007
Escobar
http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-chroma-03-31-2015-layers-t3069105

Comes with franco kernel preinstalled, that might cause it, but I heard from others with the same setup (Chrome + CodeBlue) and it seems to work for them.

i see no files touching cache/data partitions there.

As far as i can see, a sure fire way to get F2FS in /data and /cache in that rom is:

1) Flash rom + gapps (And custom stuff if needed)
2) Boot once
3) Nandroid (just in case).
4) Convert partitions and flash custom kernel
5) Reboot recovery and check F2FS remains
6) Reboot system

IF that, for some reason, fails:

1) Flash rom + gapps (And custom stuff if needed)
2) Boot once
3) Nandroid, copy files to pc, rename
4) Convert partitions
5) Reboot recovery and check F2FS remains
6) Copy files (kernel, nandroid backup)
7) Flash kernel
8) Restore nandroid
9) Reboot recovery and check F2FS remains
10) Reboot system

If any of those works, as long as you do not wipe /data, i believe you can normally update the rom.

phyl65

Apr 23, 2010
Brussels
F2FS data partition becomes readonly

Hi,

I am now using F2FS for the data and cache partitions of my Nexus 5.
Everything is OK and my Nexus 5 is snappier!

BUT, from time to time, the /data partition becomes read only... which causes the crash of lots of applications. Most of the time, this happens during the night and I notice it on the morning. This never happened when the /data partition was ext4.

What could be the cause of this problem? How to investigate it?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Phyl

yanni18

Jan 8, 2014
Hi everyone.
I want to convert my phone partitions from ext4 to f2fs. But there are some concerns that I have. I am running cm non caf 14.1 ROM,so is the cm 14.1 compatible with f2fs,if not then is the cm13 compatible with the f2fs.
Also, I have elementalx nougat v7.07 kernel running, so is it compatible with f2fs too or not.

Few more questions about f2fs :p sorry.

-Does the rom and also the kernel both must be compatible with f2fs to convert the partitions and enable f2fs?

-Which custom recovery do I need to have to convert to f2fs? Can the normal twrp for Nexus 5 is compatible or not ? (I have twrp v3.0.2 non caf recovery)

- if I succeed in getting f2fs. Then how to not lose the f2fs format from flashing new ota's of rom or any other flashing tools or dirty flashing or even flashing factory images ?

I read the benefits of f2fs so I thought of giving it a try.

Sorry, for tons of questions. Gave brief details so that I hope everyone understand questions properly and can give me help.
A big thanks in advance.

Reactions: wispp01

phpbb3

Hi everyone.
I want to convert my phone partitions from ext4 to f2fs. But there are some concerns that I have. I am running cm non caf 14.1 ROM,so is the cm 14.1 compatible with f2fs,if not then is the cm13 compatible with the f2fs.
Also, I have elementalx nougat v7.07 kernel running, so is it compatible with f2fs too or not.

Few more questions about f2fs :p sorry.

-Does the rom and also the kernel both must be compatible with f2fs to convert the partitions and enable f2fs?

-Which custom recovery do I need to have to convert to f2fs? Can the normal twrp for Nexus 5 is compatible or not ? (I have twrp v3.0.2 non caf recovery)

- if I succeed in getting f2fs. Then how to not lose the f2fs format from flashing new ota's of rom or any other flashing tools or dirty flashing or even flashing factory images ?

I read the benefits of f2fs so I thought of giving it a try.

Sorry, for tons of questions. Gave brief details so that I hope everyone understand questions properly and can give me help.
A big thanks in advance.
This information is only in my experience:

I converted from ext4 to f2fs using non-caf twrp. I clean flashed a ROM afterwards. All nightlies etc retain the filesystem you've chosen (I think twrp just automatically formats partitions to whatever the current fs is.) Your ROM and Kernel need to be compatible. I'm using elementalx 7.08 and aicp 12.1. So I know the kernel is compatible, not sure about your ROM. Should be though. Its possible that a ROM's compatibility with f2fs is only dependant on the kernel anyway, but that's only speculation on my part.

Reactions: yanni18

yanni18

Jan 8, 2014
This information is only in my experience:

I converted from ext4 to f2fs using non-caf twrp. I clean flashed a ROM afterwards. All nightlies etc retain the filesystem you've chosen (I think twrp just automatically formats partitions to whatever the current fs is.) Your ROM and Kernel need to be compatible. I'm using elementalx 7.08 and aicp 12.1. So I know the kernel is compatible, not sure about your ROM. Should be though. Its possible that a ROM's compatibility with f2fs is only dependant on the kernel anyway, but that's only speculation on my part.

Yes elementalx does support f2fs.
But my concern Is cm 14.1 compatible with f2fs, I didn't find out any source about the support?

Also which partitions are to be converted to f2fs (data system cache etc). For a full f2fs experience.

Could you provide step wise instructions about converting to f2fs ? (All the sources provide very different and confusing steps like flash this script for converting and convert your ROM to f2fs with the f2fs tools) :)

If a ROM and kernel are both f2fs compatible then do I have to do some extra things or just change partions in twrp and thats all ?

Last edited:

phpbb3

Yes elementalx does support f2fs.
But my concern Is cm 14.1 compatible with f2fs, I didn't find out any source about the support?

Also which partitions are to be converted to f2fs (data system cache etc). For a full f2fs experience.

Could you provide step wise instructions about converting to f2fs ? :)
Looks like you just need a compatible kernel. To switch, I followed these directions from @eng.stk

Go to Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> Select only Data -> Repair/Format File system -> Change partition type to F2FS

Go to Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> Select only Cache -> Repair/Format File system -> Change partition type to F2FS

Reboot and profit

Do not change /system.

I just saw the edit to your post. I never used any scripts or tools, I just used twrp 3.0.2 because it's already compatible. With a fresh ROM installation and compatible kernel

Last edited:
Reactions: yanni18

yanni18

Jan 8, 2014
Looks like you just need a compatible kernel. To switch, I followed these directions from @eng.stk

Do not change /system.

I just saw the edit to your post. I never used any scripts or tools, I just used twrp 3.0.2 because it's already compatible. With a fresh ROM installation and compatible kernel

Thanks
So cm14.1 ROM and its own kernel supports it?

& After the conversion. How to flash the new ROM with gapps and kernel. Do I have to factory reset after the conversion. Will it wipe my internal storage also will it remove my ROM too ? Do I have to compulsorily reinstall a fresh ROM and kernel

Beside this, how Is the aicp 12.1 rom in performance, stability and features.
Is it based on cm ROM or aosp. I am thinking of trying aicp 12.1 rom but had some questions so

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts