Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,731 Members 40,824 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Textra.... Beware!

Tip us?

Boonyard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Default Textra.... Beware!

Just a warning that there seems to be no way of backing up or saving your messages from Text's AT ALL!

So if you just back the app up on titanium like I have been your fine... Until you want to switch SMS apps.

Then you'll find you can't export messages from Tetra to anything else. They seem to force you to stay with them!

Just a warning.

DizzC
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonyard View Post
Just a warning that there seems to be no way of backing up or saving your messages from Text's AT ALL!

So if you just back the app up on titanium like I have been your fine... Until you want to switch SMS apps.

Then you'll find you can't export messages from Tetra to anything else. They seem to force you to stay with them!

Just a warning.
SMS backup and restore always worked for backing up my text messages with textra.

Boonyard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzC View Post
SMS backup and restore always worked for backing up my text messages with textra.
It can't find them for me, neither can I using file explorer. Have you backed up and restored using titanium?

I think that's what the issue is and I've seen a lot of people mention on here that that's what they're doing (as I was), so thought I'd warn them.

dannejanne
Old
Thanks Meter 343
You're backing up "Messages (SMS & MMS)" in Titanium Backup and not the Textra app itself, right?

Boonyard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannejanne View Post
You're backing up "Messages (SMS & MMS)" in Titanium Backup and not the Textra app itself, right?
Because Textra keeps all your messages when backed up and restored by titanium, I had been freezing the default meaning app on the last few ROMs I'd tried.

This was fine until I want to swap to something else.

The problem is, all my messages are in Textra, but you can't get them into anything else or back them up.... I'm stuck using it!

krunal1981
Old
Thanks Meter 14
i juse easy backup app which backups my text , call logs etc to either the internal memory , dropbox or google drive . It does a restore as well. handles everything from setting the default app etc .
Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 - Rooted

Boonyard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by krunal1981 View Post
i juse easy backup app which backups my text , call logs etc to either the internal memory , dropbox or google drive . It does a restore as well. handles everything from setting the default app etc .
My point is though, I bet it wouldn't back them up from Textra... Only if you have them in your default SMS.

krunal1981
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonyard View Post
My point is though, I bet it wouldn't back them up from Textra... Only if you have them in your default SMS.
It does backup from the textra app as well. Have been using it since Jan 2014 without any problems. Infact just did a backup and restore last night coz i rooted my phone again.
Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 - Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to krunal1981 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Boonyard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by krunal1981 View Post
It does backup from the textra app as well. Have been using it since Jan 2014 without any problems. Infact just did a backup and restore last night coz i rooted my phone again.
Nope, just tried it. It backs up Textra with messages in it (same as Titanium), but doesn't back up messages FROM Textra so you can put them in another app.

Thanks anyway though!

I think my messages are stuck with Textra.

Boonyard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Confirmed from the developer, there is no way to backup messages or export messages from Textra, so everyone make sure you backup up your sms separately or you will never be able to leave!

The Following User Says Thank You to Boonyard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]