5,603,646 Members 37,246 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ART vs Dalvik Experiment : Suggestions welcome!

Tip us?

es0tericcha0s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 223

DONATE TO ME
Default ART vs Dalvik Experiment : Suggestions welcome!

So, now that ART is becoming more of a stable thing that works on more apps AND dual boot is available... I was thinking of doing an experiment of the same rom with all the same settings dual booting with 1 running Dalvik, and 1 running ART. Looking for suggestions on what kinds of tests on what rom(s) / kernels / mods you'd be interested in seeing?
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / ?
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GavinMazey
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Sounds like a great idea. I'd say test with the stock kernel to get a good baseline then maybe see if there is a difference with custom kernels. Benchmarks don't seem to show any increases with art if anything they're lower. But to me art seems smoother transitioning between apps and basic ui usage. I'd say also throw in the moto x dalvik tweak.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Elisha
Old
Thanks Meter 409
ART was stable since day 1. It were the apps that needed to support it...

es0tericcha0s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 223

DONATE TO ME
Yea, and I was thinking now with screen recording, it might be a good way to see it in action directly. So I guess the first option would be to be completely stock / odexed / etc?

I agree about the ART stability, but the end result for the normal user was the same - issues.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / ?

GavinMazey
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Only thing I would worry about is the overhead of the screen recorder might impact performance. I know on my pc screen recording had a significant impact on performance.

es0tericcha0s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 223

DONATE TO ME
Ahh. Good point. What about screen recording via PC + adb? Haven't looked into it yet so just spitballing...

Sent from my... brain?

tjtj4444
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
ART was stable since day 1. It were the apps that needed to support it...

No, they solved several critical bugs in 4.4.1 (check change log). And I am sure some remains.