Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,480 Members 53,205 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Discussion: Best SMS/MMS App

Tip us?

phrequenc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Discussion: Best SMS/MMS App

hangouts - i think its completely out of theme, the way you have to swipe right to do anything is annoying, would be useful if they did an integrated data texting service, such as imessage. i do like the clean chat convo. doesnt show previews of messages.

8Sms, glitchy, colors are terrble, i can never send a video mms. lots of cool features though. factory icon, quick sms, meh, over all not bad.

chaton.... junk.

chomp sms - currently using. looks cool, colors are in consistent, allows themes, not the best options though. kinda buggy when multitasking like 8sm. icon is hideous. i like how it shows message previews in the notifications, i like that is uses iOS emoji by default.

GoSMS - something about it i couldnt stand when i used it on my SGS4 i cannot remember.

---

ive also tried a couple of apps on here.

what are you using for an SMS/MMS app, whats the best themed app to match holo?

giannim24
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Personally I've been using ChompSMS since I've had my Nexus and I tried EvolveSMS when it first came out and it was not bad. It's a little buggy but the dev is constantly updating it. I haven't tried it in a while though but it might be worth a shot. To be honest my favorite texting app was the stock on my old S3 with the TouchWiz features such as registering a number as spam. Just wish there was a way to get something like that on my N5.

TobiS87
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by giannim24 View Post
Personally I've been using ChompSMS since I've had my Nexus and I tried EvolveSMS when it first came out and it was not bad. It's a little buggy but the dev is constantly updating it. I haven't tried it in a while though but it might be worth a shot. To be honest my favorite texting app was the stock on my old S3 with the TouchWiz features such as registering a number as spam. Just wish there was a way to get something like that on my N5.
Evolve has a blacklist feature?!

FuMMoD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,223

DONATE TO ME
Been using chompsms since cupcake and switched to textra when I got my Nexus 5. it's made by the same developers and feature rich while looking very sleek and minimal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

drakexpl
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Im using textra SMS

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka
The Following User Says Thank You to drakexpl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ober/Hydra
Old
(Last edited by Ober/Hydra; 5th February 2014 at 09:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
I'm using and loving 8SMS for texting. The simple AOSP-style interface and quick speeds are perfect for me, and the added LED light control functions are a huge plus. It's true that it could use a bit of correction in terms of some of the colours but I can live with it. I used Hangouts before and liked the interface there but I got annoyed at being forced to use the service, and not having the option to send SMS by default.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ober/Hydra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rameshbitra
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I am using textra..simple and yet does the job
The Following User Says Thank You to rameshbitra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ItzMar
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakexpl View Post
Im using textra SMS

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshbitra View Post
I am using textra..simple and yet does the job
Textra all the way. Love it.

I had to make it "resident" in AppOpps to stop it from going out of memory (after a long period the app reloading itself and not resuming where i left off)

cobyman7035
Old
Thanks Meter 129
GO sms with iphone 7 theme
8gb NeXus⁴ 4.4 kitkat fully stock
16gb NeXus 7 FHD w/ TWRP 2.6.3.1 signed-razor-KRT16S-from-JSS15Q 4.4.2 KK w/ ElementalX v2.6 kernel @1.736 ghz UV800 using ART mode
32gb NeXus 5 white rooted/unlocked TWRP v2.6.4.3 touch , 4.4.2 KOT49H kk stock, franco kernel r32 w/ ART UVing 1.5ghz max cpu vomer
samsung galaxy gear black watch w/ Null v23 rom

Mooncalled
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I've been using Evolve. I liked the look and feel of it out of the gate. The swipe to conversation list is a bit clunky at times, but overall I love the look and feel. I did spend the extra .99 to "unlock" the theme part of the package which helped with the overall look of the app.

I didn't mind hangouts, I just didn't like that I couldn't change the theme without having to use a modded apk.

Nexus 7: Twisted Kat
Nexus 5: Stock, unlocked & rooted