Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 41,525 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Enabling always on Google now voice activation

Tip us?

lui5_torre5
Old
(Last edited by lui5_torre5; 5th August 2014 at 06:05 PM.) Reason: Decided that the title didn't fit the posting quite well
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Talking Enabling always on Google now voice activation

So I've seen that the Moto x has the Touch less Control that allows the user to have the option to use their phone without even touching it. Little did I know that the same could be done with my Nexus 5. Just head to the Settings on the Google Now page at the bottom, then tap on "voice". From there, tap "OK Google detection". Afterwards you just have to train your voice 3 times and can now have the ability to activate Google now fro. Anywhere, including while the phone is sleeping, if you check the lock screen activation box. From there, you should now be able to use Google now from the lock screen without having to press the power button or from any application throughout your Nexus 5 or device that is running the Google Now Launcher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-05-11-11-33.png
Views:	444
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2885139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-05-11-11-45.png
Views:	427
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	2885140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-05-11-11-55.png
Views:	421
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	2885141  
The Following User Says Thank You to lui5_torre5 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by lui5_torre5 View Post
So I've seen that the Moto x has the Touch less Control that allows the user to have the option to use their phone without even touching it. Little did I know that the same could be done with my Nexus 5. Just head to the Settings on the Google Now page at the bottom, then tap on "voice". From there, tap "OK Google detection". Afterwards you just have to train your voice 3 times and can now have the ability to activate Google now fro. Anywhere, including while the phone is sleeping, if you check the lock screen activation box. From there, you should now be able to use Google now from the lock screen without having to press the power button or from any application throughout your Nexus 5 or device that is running the Google Now Launcher.
Only works in US English at present, and I'm sure this is common knowledge by now...
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: Stock | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Stock

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gangrel_82
Old
(Last edited by gangrel_82; 5th August 2014 at 07:10 PM.) Reason: quoted wrong
Thanks Meter 7
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
Only works in US English at present, and I'm sure this is common knowledge by now...
also to use the "while sleeping" feature the device must be plug into a power source

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,612
Theres already a thread for this, and its hardly useful unless you enjoy battery drain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.