Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[GUIDE] Nexus 5 apps safe to remove

OP pWEN

8th December 2014, 01:54 PM   |  #11  
Junior Member
Flag Greater Sudbury
Thanks Meter: 2
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
this is awesome
awesome ... phone is a little faster now .. still have the google apps on it .. as i use all of them
17th December 2014, 09:03 PM   |  #12  
pWEN's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 19
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Bump for 5.0.1 update (see original post)
17th December 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #13  
IllogicalKris's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2014
Hey, I am a tad bit confused here..

I currently have two Exchange Services.

1) com.google.android.gm.exchange
(ver. 6.5-1520254)

2) com.android.exchange
(ver. 4.4.4-6936)

I'm sure the second one is the one I can delete but was just unsure about the first one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
18th December 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #14  
howard bamber's Avatar
Senior Member
Southport
Thanks Meter: 185
 
1,360 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
First thing I do is strip this space taking rubbish out. Never once had problems
18th December 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #15  
pWEN's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 19
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllogicalKris

Hey, I am a tad bit confused here..

I currently have two Exchange Services.

1) com.google.android.gm.exchange
(ver. 6.5-1520254)

2) com.android.exchange
(ver. 4.4.4-6936)

I'm sure the second one is the one I can delete but was just unsure about the first one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The first one is the one I have marked as safe to delete. I don't know what the second is, maybe something left over from KitKat? Try freezing them with TitaniumBackup and reboot, see if they give you any issues. If they don't, make backups and remove them.
18th December 2014, 03:59 PM   |  #16  
IllogicalKris's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pWEN

The first one is the one I have marked as safe to delete. I don't know what the second is, maybe something left over from KitKat? Try freezing them with TitaniumBackup and reboot, see if they give you any issues. If they don't, make backups and remove them.

Okay, I didn't think this would have much to do with it but I am using Slimkat 4.4.4, so I didn't think to look in the 5.0 tab. I shall see what happens when I freeze the other EServices.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Well, I have backed-up both Exchange Services and removed them both and nothing seems to have changed *Shrugs* Ahh well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Last edited by IllogicalKris; 18th December 2014 at 04:40 PM.
18th December 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #17  
pWEN's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 19
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllogicalKris

Okay, I didn't think this would have much to do with it but I am using Slimkat 4.4.4, so I didn't think to look in the 5.0 tab. I shall see what happens when I freeze the other EServices.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Well, I have backed-up both Exchange Services and removed them both and nothing seems to have changed *Shrugs* Ahh well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well, generally speaking, you should be looking in the tab for your current Android version. (Or as close as your custom ROM gets.) The list is based on a fresh install of the ROM, so if your apps have updated since, they'll show different version numbers and possibly different locations, too. Something I didn't think to include in my post, sorry!
18th December 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #18  
IllogicalKris's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pWEN

Well, generally speaking, you should be looking in the tab for your current Android version. (Or as close as your custom ROM gets.) The list is based on a fresh install of the ROM, so if your apps have updated since, they'll show different version numbers and possibly different locations, too. Something I didn't think to include in my post, sorry!

Well I flashed the ROM last week, so anything could have updated. Anyway, thanks for the help. I just wanted to have an opinion on the random system app first before I went ahead and removed it.

Cheers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
21st December 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #19  
Senior Member
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 427
 
1,107 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllogicalKris

Hey, I am a tad bit confused here..

I currently have two Exchange Services.

1) com.google.android.gm.exchange
(ver. 6.5-1520254)

2) com.android.exchange
(ver. 4.4.4-6936)

I'm sure the second one is the one I can delete but was just unsure about the first one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The first works with gmail exchange second is for email app exchange. Should be no issue deleting both. I use 1 and delete 2.
24th December 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #20  
howard bamber's Avatar
Senior Member
Southport
Thanks Meter: 185
 
1,360 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Do not remove g+ on lolipop if you want photos to work. They are linked

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps, bloatware, nexus, remove, safe
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes