Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[HOW-TO] Theme icons in the Google Experience Launcher/Google Now Launcher!

OP thattypicalnerd

31st March 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Atlantis
Thanks Meter: 8

92 posts
More
I love the GEL/GNL, and my only complaint has been that it doesn't support theming from icon packs. Well, I found a way and I wanted to share!

1) Download and install the Xposed framework.
2) Download and install Unicon from the Play Store. ($2.00 USD)
3) Reboot after selecting the Xposed module and enabling it.
4) Open Unicon from the app drawer, select an icon pack, and enjoy!

The way this works is that Xposed allows Unicon to change the application icons across the entire system, so it'll even show up in the small app icons in places (such as the settings cog inside of the Settings app, at the top). The only con to this method is that it isn't possible to enable ART along with this tweak, since it relies on Xposed. If anyone knows of a way to do this without Xposed, please let me know! I hoped this helped!

(Attached is a screenshot for proof that it does indeed work on the GEL/GNW, icon pack used is Click UI, $2.00 USD)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-31-16-13-15.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	2661354  
The Following User Says Thank You to thattypicalnerd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 01:57 AM   |  #2  
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 159

511 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thattypicalnerd

I love the GEL/GNL, and my only complaint has been that it doesn't support theming from icon packs. Well, I found a way and I wanted to share!

1) Download and install the Xposed framework.
2) Download and install Unicon from the Play Store. ($2.00 USD)
3) Reboot after selecting the Xposed module and enabling it.
4) Open Unicon from the app drawer, select an icon pack, and enjoy!

The way this works is that Xposed allows Unicon to change the application icons across the entire system, so it'll even show up in the small app icons in places (such as the settings cog inside of the Settings app, at the top). The only con to this method is that it isn't possible to enable ART along with this tweak, since it relies on Xposed. If anyone knows of a way to do this without Xposed, please let me know! I hoped this helped!

(Attached is a screenshot for proof that it does indeed work on the GEL/GNW, icon pack used is Click UI, $2.00 USD)

I use Unicon with the stock GNL and love it as well. However, there's one more con you didn't mention that people not familiar with the module should know. It is that you can't change individual icons. So if an icon pack has multiple versions/colors of the same icon, you can't choose which one gets applied like you can with a 3rd party launcher. It's only a small drawback in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to charesa39 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread