Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[July 1][BOOTANIMATIONS][APP] Nexus 5 home of the Boot Box Project

OP overhauling

4th January 2014, 09:23 AM   |  #1  
overhauling's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 731
 
562 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More



Boot Box is a boot animation database, manager, creator, and more. The Nexus 5 is supported by Boot Box, this support thread will contain N5 device specific animations that are added into Boot Box, animations that are optimized for the N5's resolution, and device support information.



Boot Box (v2.7) - Open BETA update released
Open BETA testing stage. Expect bugs.

[July 1] Changelog (v2.7)
  • New! Create a flashable zip backup of your currently installed boot animation.
  • If you're running a CM-based ROM, you may have trouble with backups.
  • New! Pre-load GIF previews - this improves the quality and speed of the preview, by far.
  • New! Polished UI and new app icon.
  • Updated Scrambler. The randomizer now works better with no simultaneous choices.
  • New! View animations for all resolutions under one list (lots of duplicates, for now).
  • Fixed bugs with the latest additions menu. Pending animations won't show unless specified under settings. Explicit animations won't show in this menu.
  • Attempted to fix a bug where valid ZIP files are erroneously reported as invalid (please test)
  • More boot animation list sorting methods!
  • More tiny bug fixes and tweaks.
  • Reminder: the Boot Box Factory is meant to create animations with up to 10 images.



Some features of the Boot Box App:
  • Dynamic Database. Animations are fetched and updated dynamically from a database on the Boot Box server.
  • Categories: show/hide certain animation categories
  • Upload your boot animations directly from the Boot Box app. The built-in Boot Box Uploader creates the required resources for you, including the GIF Preview.
  • Scrambler: allows you to play a different boot animation at every boot.
  • Boot Box Factory: create your own boot animations straight from Boot Box! Creating a static animation will allow you to show your favorite picture on boot up. Creating a Slideshow animation will allow you to display multiple pictures on boot up, each for a set amount of time!
  • Animations can be previewed via a YouTube video (if the uploader provides a link), via a GIF preview, or via a ZIP preview (the animation is downloaded and played in a simulated environment).
  • Load up a local animation from your SD Card and preview it, install it, or create a GIF from it (thanks to XDA Developer D4rKn3sSyS).
  • Flexible boot animation and cache locations for different devices.

Download Boot Box, Play Store Link (FREE):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overhaulingmod.bootbox

G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...63140312269110


Boot Animations Collection
To add an animation download Boot Box and visit the Boot Box uploader, or post your animation here.

Nexus 5 branded additions to Boot Box and 1080x1920 animations will be posted here.
No Nexus 5 branded animations exist in Bb at this time.


Hexagonal Tunnel by Admiral Potato



GIF Preview (actual animation is stretched to fit):


Download this animation, and more, from Boot Box (Free, easy installation!):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ingmod.bootbox

or you can get it from here (not flashable! How-to install video by jgandroot).


Follow me on Google+ to receive updates
Last edited by overhauling; 1st July 2014 at 05:42 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to overhauling For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th January 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #2  
voryzen's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 32
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Does this affect any system files?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
4th January 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #3  
overhauling's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 731
 
562 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by voryzen

Does this affect any system files?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Only the bootanimation.zip file. Boot Box allows you to create as many backups of this file as you want.

Boot Box only needs root access to copy from and to the following directories:
  • Installation location, can be set manually. Usually /data/local/bootanimation.zip or /system/media/bootanimation.zip (mounting rw)
  • Cache location, can also be set manually. /sdcard/BootBox by default.

To make sure that all functions will run properly, Boot Box checks for root access before downloading or installing an animation and when the app is launched.
17th January 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
55 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Do you need to root your phone?
17th January 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #5  
DelBoy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 452
 
1,394 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRaunchy

Do you need to root your phone?

Of course.
3rd February 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #6  
dbareis's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
83 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
Hi,

I found an ICS boot animation, the apps INFO button says Projected Resolution: 360x640, Image Format JPG, Number of Frames: 77

It previews perfectly. I click "Install Animation", it syas "Error Copying Files", Please make sure the installation location is accessible. It must be its previewing it. The "bootanimation" file is in the "\\DB-NEXUS5\sdcard\$DB$\media\Boot Animations\ICS BOOT ANIMATION" directory.

I don't have trouble installing the apps inbuilt animations.

Thanks for any pointers, really want the ICS animation
11th February 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #7  
overhauling's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 731
 
562 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbareis

Hi,

I found an ICS boot animation, the apps INFO button says Projected Resolution: 360x640, Image Format JPG, Number of Frames: 77

It previews perfectly. I click "Install Animation", it syas "Error Copying Files", Please make sure the installation location is accessible. It must be its previewing it. The "bootanimation" file is in the "\\DB-NEXUS5\sdcard\$DB$\media\Boot Animations\ICS BOOT ANIMATION" directory.

I don't have trouble installing the apps inbuilt animations.

Thanks for any pointers, really want the ICS animation

Hello!

Please try the latest version of Boot Box. Let me know if you still get the same error.
12th February 2014, 08:23 AM   |  #8  
dbareis's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
83 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhauling

Please try the latest version of Boot Box. Let me know if you still get the same error.

Using the latest version on the play store:
  1. if I use GDRIVE->"Internal Storage" it says "Only .zip files allowed"
  2. Using any other file manager I get an error message mentioning an "unwated space" (I'm assuming "unwanted" was intended). The filename is "bootanimation.zip" (no space), the path has spaces ("\sdcard\$DB$\media\Boot Animations\ICS BOOT ANIMATION").

Moving it to the root directory resolved neither of the 2 problems above. It's happy to preview the animation for the "unwated" space issue.

If I ADD a space to the one in the root directory, it says its removed a space...If I install the animation its thumbs up and I boot. My old animation has been removed, the new one doesn't work.

Bye,
Dennis
12th February 2014, 08:37 AM   |  #9  
TheEijk's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Thank you, looks very promising
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEijk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 07:23 PM   |  #10  
overhauling's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 731
 
562 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbareis

Using the latest version on the play store:

  1. if I use GDRIVE->"Internal Storage" it says "Only .zip files allowed"
  2. Using any other file manager I get an error message mentioning an "unwated space" (I'm assuming "unwanted" was intended). The filename is "bootanimation.zip" (no space), the path has spaces ("\sdcard\$DB$\media\Boot Animations\ICS BOOT ANIMATION").

Moving it to the root directory resolved neither of the 2 problems above. It's happy to preview the animation for the "unwated" space issue.

If I ADD a space to the one in the root directory, it says its removed a space...If I install the animation its thumbs up and I boot. My old animation has been removed, the new one doesn't work.

Bye,
Dennis

The "unwanted space" string has been corrected.

The animation installs successfully from the root directory but it doesn't work? Are you able to install animations that have been cached, or saved in the SD by Boot Box?

Does the animation work if installed manually?

@dbareis @TheEijk thank you for your feedback.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes