[Jan 5][BOOTANIMATIONS][APP] Nexus 5 home of the Boot Box Project

Tip us?

dbareis
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhauling View Post
The "unwanted space" string has been corrected.
Apart from the spelling there is at least one more bug, with and without spaces I was getting unexpected behavior.

Quote:
The animation installs successfully from the root directory but it doesn't work? Are you able to install animations that have been cached, or saved in the SD by Boot Box?
I tried "\sdcard\BootBox\Animations\Tibuk1080x1920.zip " (I'm amazed this is considered explicit), it has the same "Only .zip files allowed" issue but the animation is displayed on booting.

Quote:
Does the animation work if installed manually?
Probably but not sure how to do so. I tried something just as good though, I used the "Currently installed animation" and it was shown in the preview so its probably its installed OK, just not displaying. I have attached the zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bootanimation.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.75 MB, 2 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to dbareis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dbareis
Old
(Last edited by dbareis; 14th February 2014 at 09:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Hi,

I've got a bigger issue now... I used BootBox to create series of slides which previewed OK. This hangs my phone with the 2nd last picture displaying, I feel a vibrate shortly after.

I can get into ADB at this stage but don't know linux commands or Android internals, from Googling I thought this is what I could do:

Quote:

* ADB SHELL
* su
* mount -o remount rw /system
* cd /system/media
* ls -l
* cp /sdcard/goodbootanimation.zip ./bootanimation.zip
* ls -l
I'm not sure "SU" is doing anything, the shell generally just repeats what I type and the googled solution of copy/pasting instead sometimes works. I'm not sure I need it anyway this is my command prompt "255|shell@hammerhead:/ $". (does that mean I have root access already?)

The mount fails with "mount: Operation not permitted". The copy fails with "cp: ./bootanimation.zip: Read-only file system"

I've now worked out how to install the drivers for ADB for recovery, while the driver loads ADB on windows can't see the device:

Quote:
ADB.EXE shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: closed
I've also Tried Recover->Apply update from ADB", got "device not found".

I'm rooted with unlocked bootloader and stock everything else. I do not wish to factory reset and lose all my configuration..

Help....

overhauling
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 714

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbareis View Post
Probably but not sure how to do so. I tried something just as good though, I used the "Currently installed animation" and it was shown in the preview so its probably its installed OK, just not displaying. I have attached the zip file.
Install the animation on /data/local/ instead of /system/media/
If there's an animation in /data/local/, Android will automatically boot that one and ignore any other animation in /system/media/.

Quote:
Help....
The slideshow should be working fine. How many images did you use?

Do the following http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=11

Please let me know if it works out for you
The Boot Box Project - Boot Animations: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=41827858
Device specific Boot Box threads: Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Galaxy S4

dbareis
Old
(Last edited by dbareis; 14th February 2014 at 10:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Install the animation on /data/local/ instead of /system/media/
If there's an animation in /data/local/, Android will automatically boot that one and ignore any other animation in /system/media/.
I don't seem to have access to that directory once the phone has hung on the animation:

Quote:
c:\ > ADB.EXE shell
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
shell@hammerhead:/ $ cd /data/local
cd /data/local
shell@hammerhead:/data/local $ ls -l
ls -l
opendir failed, Permission denied
255|shell@hammerhead:/data/local $ cp /sdcard/goodbootanimation.zip ./bootanimation.zip
cp: ./bootanimation.zip: Permission denied

It is not possible for me to follow those instructions due to the issues I described in my previous post

At this stage it doesn't appear to be a driver issue (which I resolved yesterday)

dbareis
Old
(Last edited by dbareis; 15th February 2014 at 03:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Do the following http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=11
Please let me know if it works out for you
I'm documenting what I'm doing in EverNote so this is it so far:
Quote:
* Boot into Recovery on phone
* You will see an Android with a red triangle and "no command" this is normal
* Volume Down to select "apply update from ADB" and press power button
* You should probably hear/see Windows loading the device
* On windows try "adb get-state" it should respond with "sideload"). The usual ADB commands do not work!
* adb sideload kitkat_Bootanimation.zip (http://d-h.st/4kc)
* sending: 'kitkat_Bootanimation.zip' 100%
* Fails with messages on phone (MD5 matches and also fails with known good "Tibuke1080x1920.zip"):
* Verifying update package
* E:footer is wrong"
* E:signature verification failed
* installation aborted
* Solution to the above:
* ??????????????

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

It seems the "kitkat_Bootanimation.zip" gets verified against what is expected so perhaps this one is not from Android 4.4.2?

Anyone know where to get these?

overhauling
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 714

DONATE TO ME
@dbareis flash the stock boot animation, the flash should replace the older animation and all issues should be gone. Here it is: http://d-h.st/users/BrianAllred/?fld_id=29585#files (provided by @BrianAllred)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
The Boot Box Project - Boot Animations: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=41827858

dbareis
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
@dbareis flash the stock boot animation, the flash should replace the older animation and all issues should be gone. Here it is: http://d-h.st/users/BrianAllred/?fld_id=29585#files (provided by @BrianAllred)
Thanks but I've already tried that one and it has the same issue (I just confirmed its MD5 to be 100% sure).

overhauling
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 714

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks but I've already tried that one and it has the same issue (I just confirmed its MD5 to be 100% sure).
Did you install the Apple Static animation before experiencing this issue?

To fix similar issues I've installed Phillz Touch recovery (or any recovery with a file manager) and then I've used that file manager to delete the bootanimation.zip via recovery.

dbareis
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Did you install the Apple Static animation before experiencing this issue?
No, it may have been somewhat self inflicted through. The app doesn't allow you to modify a generated boot animation (from multiple static images), from what I could see, I thought I should be able to rename and swap 2 of the images, I did that. The preview worked perfectly (it should be using the same logic as the boot process so as to fail if it was going to at boot...).

Quote:
To fix similar issues I've installed Phillz Touch recovery (or any recovery with a file manager) and then I've used that file manager to delete the bootanimation.zip via recovery.
I used a toolkit to boot into TWRP recovery and that then allowed me to flash the kitkat boot animation. I learnt a lot fixing this

Bye,
Dennis