Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[MOD] [L] [UPDATE 18/10] Apple Emoji Replacement for Android Lollipop (System Wide)

OP JackJoeR

29th June 2014, 04:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 95

86 posts
More
UPDATE: Android Lollipop changed the way that fonts work and so I have updated the mod (installer and uninstaller) accordingly, THERE ARE A FEW EMOJIS DEFAULTING TO THE BLACK AND WHITE STOCK VERSIONS IN NEWEST VERSION OF THE MOD ON LATEST ANDROID L BUILD, I WILL FIX THIS IF I CAN ASAP
[Introduction]
Hello!
This is a mod that will replace Android's Default Emoji (introduced in KitKat I believe) with Apples Default Emoji.

I may be in a minority here but I personally recognize and prefer Apple's iOS themed icons over the Google, and most of my friends have either an android phone with an old version that will not show colour emoji or have iPhones. This means if I try to send a message with Android Emoji it could look completely different on the receiving end.

I found a solution for this by angelsel here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2563757

This worked great, except due to changes in fallback_fonts.xml between KitKat and L, if you flash the KitKat version, the phone will glitch and will not work correctly so I updated a flashable zip posted in the comments by Fusionalex and am sharing it here with you now

[Features Summed Up]
Replaces the stock Emoji with the Apple Emoji (used on iOS and OSX)

[Downloads]
(Also in the attachments)

Installer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4o...ew?usp=sharing

Uninstaller: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4o...ew?usp=sharing

[Old Version]

[Screenshots Before and After (Large, sorry)]

Stock (Before) 1Apple (After) 1

Stock (Before) 2Apple (After) 2

Others:
Stock 3

Apple 3

NOTE
Although the Emoji's seem faded, that is the nature of Google Keep's notes, the actual Emoji's are in full colour, as shown here in Hangouts:
Full colour in Hangouts and all other apps

[Notice]
I am not a dev, I simply updated a mod that came with a guide that assisted in doing so, that being said, I will assist where possible and update this as much as I can.

This should work on Nexus 7 as well but untested, if not I can easily make a Nexus 7 version so let me know

If anybody thinks I am using their work and would like me to remove files please let me know - thanks!
Last edited by JackJoeR; 19th October 2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Updated version
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JackJoeR For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2014, 05:18 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

108 posts
To each his own, but talk about a step backwards. I have friends on iOS who prefer the Android icons - the iOS ones just look outdated and ugly today.
The Following User Says Thank You to CappyQ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2014, 05:30 AM   |  #3  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 2,340

3,812 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyQ

To each his own, but talk about a step backwards. I have friends on iOS who prefer the Android icons - the iOS ones just look outdated and ugly today.

Should be getting people to stop buying iPhones - not changing Android Emoji to iOS ones
29th June 2014, 10:19 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,198

3,311 posts
Donate to Me
More
I personally have been using this mod for months. I feel the difference between Android and iOS emojis are different enough to confuse people texting from Android to iOS and vice versa. My girlfriend of course has an iPhone so it's easier to communicate because I see what she sees. That being said while the Android emojis are lively and colorful, the iOS emojis do provide a nice sense of detail.

Again, this is coming from an anti Apple guy. And Apple didn't make those emojis, Softbank JP did, correct me if I'm wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheLastSidekick For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2014, 11:58 AM   |  #5  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 120

558 posts
More
Exactly what I was looking for......I am used to whatsapp Smiley's and android Smiley's really confused me.....thank you so much.....works on KitKat too.....I'm currently using it with vanir rom

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th June 2014, 11:59 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

86 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyQ

Where most of my friends wouldn't even know Android had Emoji (most of them don't even know what Android is...) It's an optional thing I thought I'd share that I like to use
I personally can't always tell what the Google Emoji is to correspond to the Apple (Softbank) one.

29th June 2014, 12:00 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

86 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

Should be getting people to stop buying iPhones - not changing Android Emoji to iOS ones

Trust me, I'm the first person to recommend a Nexus (or any other Android phone) over an iPhone just giving an option is all

The Following User Says Thank You to JackJoeR For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2014, 12:03 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

86 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSidekick

I personally have been using this mod for months. I feel the difference between Android and iOS emojis are different enough to confuse people texting from Android to iOS and vice versa. My girlfriend of course has an iPhone so it's easier to communicate because I see what she sees. That being said while the Android emojis are lively and colorful, the iOS emojis do provide a nice sense of detail.

Again, this is coming from an anti Apple guy. And Apple didn't make those emojis, Softbank JP did, correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the reason I too use this mod, I'm not fond of Apple but I don't find that the Apple Emojis (Technically Softbank you're right, but people recognise them for their use in Apple devices) don't look out of place within Android and it helps me understand

29th June 2014, 12:08 PM   |  #9  
Flag 4443'25.35"N 1023'55.72"E
Thanks Meter: 260

1,392 posts
More
Wow! Anything for KK, please?
Edit: I can't download uninstaller...
Last edited by gpvecchi; 29th June 2014 at 12:25 PM.
29th June 2014, 12:49 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

86 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi

Wow! Anything for KK, please?
Edit: I can't download uninstaller...

From Mediafire or the attachments or both?

If you're on KitKat flash this:
https://mega.co.nz/#!JU0nRAZY!Pbv9Gy...egHlXD_ImAGXIc

(Not made by me but its what I use on KitKat )

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apple emoji android l replace
Previous Thread Next Thread