Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,027 Members 48,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Dialer (AOSP) to Google Dialer, works with odexed ROM/ART - NOW also themed!

Tip us?

Thyrus
Old
(Last edited by Thyrus; 12th February 2014 at 12:15 PM.)
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 2225
Default [MOD] Dialer (AOSP) to Google Dialer, works with odexed ROM/ART - NOW also themed!

Community,

As great as the custom ROMs are for the N5 on Kit Kat, the Google Dialer differs from the AOSP one included in many ROMs in certain aspects:

- uses the "old" 4.3 Phone Icon
- Misses the local search from your dialer app.

In order to help, I have put together a number of versions of the dialer and the teleservices (for phone).
These mods work fine on most ROMs (CM11, Carbon, Slim and other AOSP based ROMS), with the exception of PA that deviates way too much from AOSP and therefore PA is not considered to work with these modifications.

Deodexed Version: Included all apps deodexed (dialer, teleservices)
Odexed: Version; Contains APK and .odex files for the apps

Installation(ALWAYS make a backup before you test)

1. Depeding on your ROM, download the ODEX or DEODEX version. I highly recommend the odexed version, that is the one I use currently and normally you can use odexed apps on deodexed ROMs without any issues.
2. Install in recovery.
3. Clear cache/dalvik-cache
4. Reboot
NOTE: Depending on the ROM, you may see a f/c when booting from the com.android.phone apk. If that happens, you may need to WIPE your device and reboot. I have not understood yet why some roms have issues, and others do not. I just recently tested with a dirty wipe from CM11 to another AOSP rom, flashed the ROM, installed the Dialer-mod and it all works fine.
The most common way to overcome this is to flash your ROM of choice, set it up BEFORE you flash the mod. Flashing the GOOGLE replacement versions will NOT work if you flash directly after wiping your ROM. You need to flash your ROM, wipe, boot and set it up. THEN you can flash the Google Dialer. This is not necessary when dirty wiping, you can normally flash the zip directly after the ROM

Google Dialer replacements (replaced AOSP with Google Dialer version as stock 4.4.2 ROMs from Nexus)

Stock versions:

ODEXED Version 4.4
DEODEXED Version 4.4
ODEXED Version 4.4.1
NEW: ODEXED Version 4.4.2

Themed versions:

Themed dark with Blue

I just uploaded the Google Dialer - this time themed dark to compliment my KitKat themes on the market.
Tested and works with CM11 on Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. Also works with ART.

DOWNLOAD for Android 4.4.2 - Google Dialer Themed

Screens:

Dialer Light themed

Dialer Dark (no holo_blue):

AOSP Dialer replacements (replaces AOSP with special AOSP Dialer version as stock 4.4.2 ROMs from Nexus)
- Can be themed by Theme Chooser
- Can be customized (with forward and reverse lookup, full screen incoming calls etc)

UberDialer V6

• Includes GoogleDialer additions to AOSP dialer (CallerID and Local Business Search) but based on CM11 dialer
  • Theme-Chooser themeable
  • NEW: Includes modification for Fullscreen Caller from latest CM11 commit

Will look 100% stock if you only use the zip. If you want it themed like in the screenshots a handful themes only support it for now . I just updated my theme in the market (ThyrusHolo Kitkat black) to theme the dialer properly including the new full-screen incoming screen.

Screenshots

Downloads

DOWNLOAD V6 uberdialer - DEODEXED
DOWNLOAD V6 uberdialer - ODEXED

CarbonROM based Dialer Mod

• Includes Carbon/SlimROMs opensource dialer enhancements, making forward and reverse lookup of callerID and local business search selectable from menu and with a provider of choice.
  • Confirmed to pull images and names to dialer screen from local businesses IF your ROM that you are flashing this on already supports the OpenSource commits (CM11 doesnt for example, SlimRom and Carbon latest nighlites Feb 11 have this commit enabled). If your ROMs doesnt have that commit included, pictures and names will not be displayed in the in-call window.
  • Theme-Chooser themeable
  • NEW: Includes modification for Fullscreen Caller from latest CM11 commit
  • NEW: Includes non-intrusive call additions - themed dark (carbon uses light as standard)

This version will most likely work on SOME ROMs as the non-intrusive dialers require a framework change that some ROMs may not have included. I have tested both with SlimROM and Carbon for the N5 on February 9 nightlies and confirm these work perfectly. On other ROMs such as CM11 I need your feedback - most importantly make sure you can receive calls when having the non-intrusive mod enabled or disabled in the menu.

Will look 100% stock if you only use the zip. If you want it themed like in the screenshots a handful themes only support it for now . I just updated my theme in the market (ThyrusHolo Kitkat black) to theme the dialer properly including the new full-screen incoming screen.

Screenshots

Downloads

DOWNLOAD CarbonDialer Mod V2 - ODEX
DOWNLOAD CarbonDialer Mod V2 - DEODEX

My themes on Google Play

The Following 95 Users Say Thank You to Thyrus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thyrus
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 2225
Always make a Nandroid before you try

My themes on Google Play

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thyrus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MiZrY
Old
Thanks Meter 921

DONATE TO ME
Works perfect on 4.4 with an LG Optimus G

Thanks buddy!
The Following User Says Thank You to MiZrY For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hv6478
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZrY View Post
Works perfect on 4.4 with an LG Optimus G

Thanks buddy!
It does not work on SlimKat Alpha 1.1 from my testing, including a full wipe afterwards as well as cache/dalvik only, tried twice as well.

If it works on houstonn's AOSP, it will probably work on his PA as well but I haven't tested that just yet.

I'm going to try to manually do it and report.
If I helped, directly or indirectly, a THANKS is always appreciated!

CURRENT DEVICE:
LG G2 D803 (was Rogers, unlocked it, now on Virgin)

MY STUFF:
[GUIDE]: ROOT / BL-Unlock / Install Custom Recovery - LG Optimus G E970/1/3:
E970 AT&T Forum / E971/3 Canadian Forum

PAST DEVICES:
LG Optimus G | HTC One XL | HTC Sensation
HTC TyTN | HTC Touch | Some BlackBerries mixed in

Da Baron
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I have a Sprint HTC One running the latest CM11 build by "kushdeck" and just flashed the deodexed version. Following your steps provided all works flawlessly. Thanks so much for making this available to everyone.
~
Da Baron

Thyrus
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 2225
Thanks you for the reports so far. Glad it works (for most of you).

My themes on Google Play

The Following User Says Thank You to Thyrus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mushan3420
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrus View Post
Community,

As great as the custom ROMs are for the N5 on Kit Kat, the Google Dialer differs from the AOSP one included in many ROMs in certain aspects:

- uses the "old" 4.3 Phone Icon
- Misses the local search from your dialer app.

In order to help, I have put together 2 versions of the dialer, the teleservices (for phone) and the telephony provider.

Deodexed Version: Included all 3 apps deodexed (dialer, teleservices, telephony provider)
Odexed: Version; Contains APK and .odex files for the 3 apps

GAPPS uploaders are considering whether the Dialer is universal and may include it in their GAPPS in the neat future, for now, we need a seperate flashable zip.

Installation Change the dialer only: (ALWAYS make a backup before you test)
1. Depeding on your ROM, download the ODEX or DEODEX version. I highly recommend the odexed version, that is the one I use currently.
2. Install in recovery.
3. Clear cache/dalvik-cache
4. Reboot
NOTE: Depending on the ROM, you may see a f/c when booting from the com.android.phone apk. If that happens, you may need to WIPE your device and reboot. I have not understood yet why some roms have issues, and others do not. I just recently tested with a dirty wipe from CM11 to another AOSP rom, flashed the ROM, installed the Dialer-mod and it all works fine.

Downloads:

ODEXED Version
DEODEXED Version
Now I am flashing it on my Nexus S.
OK. Works well.
THX!

ŽAndroidDoctorŽ
Old
Thanks Meter 30
sadly no lucky on s4 cm11

Showme1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Successfully running in latest slimkat release following the notes instructions in the OP. Just curious if I will be able to dirty flash with next slim release. Thanks for this as I like this feature.

Thyrus
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 2225
Just noticed that BANKS gaaps now include this as well. If mine doesn't work maybe his will help you guys that can't get mine to work.

My themes on Google Play