Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,073 Members 45,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Way to stream desktop iTunes on Nexus 5?

Tip us?
 
Danub
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 32
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Way to stream desktop iTunes on Nexus 5?

I want to be able to listen to my entire itunes through streaming onto my Nexus 5 and I know there's apps which do this like Doubletwist. But the problem is my desktop does not run through wifi, its a wired connection. So I was wondering if theres an app which doesn't need the same wifi on your Android device as your desktop.

Thanks
 
scissors_cut_paper
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 161
Join Date: Apr 2012
Have you tried the apps? Usually if the computer is connected to the same network by Ethernet it'll work for apps that use it, I know things like WiFi mouse etc do. Or ditch iTunes and upload your music to Google play, it'll take a while but you'll save hours by not having to use the worst piece of software in existence.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
tvBilly
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 54
Join Date: Dec 2009
If your N5 and desktop are on the same subnet, you can control and listen to iTunes, even though the desktop is not on the wireless. My home system is like that (the primary desktop mac is a wired ethernet into my LAN and has its wifi card turned off).

In order for your N5 (any wifi client) to work this way requires your wireless (wifi) router to be in access point mode (which is NOT the default), not in normal router mode. How easy this is to do depends entirely on your particular wifi router, and your skill at configuring it.

(When your N5 and desktop are on the same subnet, you can use AirBubble on your N5 to receive the audio from iTunes on your desktop machine, and you can use Remote for iTunes to control the running iTunes on your desktop. Works very well).
 
ZooBaAr
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 59
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danub View Post
I want to be able to listen to my entire itunes through streaming onto my Nexus 5 and I know there's apps which do this like Doubletwist. But the problem is my desktop does not run through wifi, its a wired connection. So I was wondering if theres an app which doesn't need the same wifi on your Android device as your desktop.

Thanks
You could try subsonic. it wont interfere with itunes ( ugh ) and it will convert your flac and ogg and movie files on the fly too. Then get dSub for your android and you will never use itunes again. Subsonic is a free open source media server you install on your pc that streams to your phone or any device, no clunky uploading to the cloud. Dsub is a pay for app but I have paid for it twice its that good and dev works hard on it, constantly updating it.
subsonic here
dsub on play and forum if you want to see what up with that
forum 4 dsub
Honestly once you try this you will wonder why you havent heard about this before it's so easy.
older apk of dsub
load that up and then stream from the demo server that it comes with , see how good it is. And some interesting music from Norway there too
Njoy
s
The Following User Says Thank You to ZooBaAr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Scallywag1
Old
#5  
Scallywag1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 249
Posts: 467
Join Date: Aug 2010
Subsonic is what ur looking for man. Works like a charm

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Scallywag1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dimebagdan65
Old
#6  
dimebagdan65's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 615
Posts: 2,097
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Las Vegas

 
DONATE TO ME
How about just downloading the Google Music Manager, uploading your library to Google Play Music and stream it anywhere on any network...


Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Razor 32gb WiFi Stock KitKat w/Xposed and Franco Kernel
Hammerhead 32gb same
Gmail/Hangout dime@dimedroidhq.com
Google+Page and Profile
YouTube channel

-You can lead a fool to knowledge but you can't make 'em think
-Be a sponge, not a stain...
The Following User Says Thank You to dimebagdan65 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Danub
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 32
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooBaAr View Post
You could try subsonic. it wont interfere with itunes ( ugh ) and it will convert your flac and ogg and movie files on the fly too. Then get dSub for your android and you will never use itunes again. Subsonic is a free open source media server you install on your pc that streams to your phone or any device, no clunky uploading to the cloud. Dsub is a pay for app but I have paid for it twice its that good and dev works hard on it, constantly updating it.
subsonic here
dsub on play and forum if you want to see what up with that
forum 4 dsub
Honestly once you try this you will wonder why you havent heard about this before it's so easy.
older apk of dsub
load that up and then stream from the demo server that it comes with , see how good it is. And some interesting music from Norway there too
Njoy
s
hmm this sounds like what I'm looking for. I shall try it out and report how it goes
 
Danub
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 32
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooBaAr View Post
You could try subsonic. it wont interfere with itunes ( ugh ) and it will convert your flac and ogg and movie files on the fly too. Then get dSub for your android and you will never use itunes again. Subsonic is a free open source media server you install on your pc that streams to your phone or any device, no clunky uploading to the cloud. Dsub is a pay for app but I have paid for it twice its that good and dev works hard on it, constantly updating it.
subsonic here
dsub on play and forum if you want to see what up with that
forum 4 dsub
Honestly once you try this you will wonder why you havent heard about this before it's so easy.
older apk of dsub
load that up and then stream from the demo server that it comes with , see how good it is. And some interesting music from Norway there too
Njoy
s
So far, the problem I'm up to I think is the port forwarding. Seems the custom URL for your name doesn't connect and possibly due to not successfully port forwarding. I am also using my university's wired connection. Could that be why?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
ldkud50
Old
(Last edited by ldkud50; 11th February 2014 at 04:47 PM.) Reason: incorrect answer
#9  
ldkud50's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 55
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danub View Post
So far, the problem I'm up to I think is the port forwarding. Seems the custom URL for your name doesn't connect and possibly due to not successfully port forwarding. I am also using my university's wired connection. Could that be why?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Go into your router settings > Go to port forwarding > Give it a name Music Streaming > Enter the port and forward it to the internal IP.

example http://www.howtogeek.com/66214/how-t...n-your-router/

Scratch what I wrote. I didn't see you were on a university network. Not sure you're going to have much luck with port forwarding.
Nexus 5 | TWRP Recovery | Faux Kernel | KitKat 4.4.4
Nexus 7.2 | TWRP Recovery | Faux Kernel | KitKat 4.4.4 (Previewing L)
AT&T LG G3 | Rooted | KitKat 4.4.2
 
ZooBaAr
Old
(Last edited by ZooBaAr; 3rd May 2014 at 09:00 PM.) Reason: Dsub ref
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 59
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldkud50 View Post
Go into your router settings > Go to port forwarding > Give it a name Music Streaming > Enter the port and forward it to the internal IP.

example http://www.howtogeek.com/66214/how-t...n-your-router/

Scratch what I wrote. I didn't see you were on a university network. Not sure you're going to have much luck with port forwarding.
Here is the foolproof way to get subsonic up and running easily :
Subsonic for dummies
zoo

PS, then get Dsub for your phone, it is simply the best app out there and worth the 2 bucks, I donated twice its that good. ymmv

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimebagdan65 View Post
How about just downloading the Google Music Manager, uploading your library to Google Play Music and stream it anywhere on any network...


Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Why , Dear deity, would you take the huge time/BW to upload what you already have digitally and could serve up to yourself at a cost of no time at all?? And still stream it anywhere on the net and keep control of it yourself ?

I hate being evangelistic but this is really a no brainer once you understand how Subsonic works
zo0

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes