5,606,465 Members 33,478 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Touchdown "worth it" on n5 compared to Google's stock client? Other alternatives?

Tip us?

rootSU
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7520
Default Touchdown "worth it" on n5 compared to Google's stock client? Other alternatives?

I like the stock client but 2 things are a slight let down.

1) I only want email when I need it. 1 hour refresh is too often. Once a day is better. Never isn't an option because calendar doesn't like that

2) swipe deletes email. I can turn it off. In outlook I use macros to "archive" emails. Would be nice if swipe acted like Gmail swipe but folder programmable.

I've been looking at other apps and touchdown looks great. For those of you using it on your n5, what are your experiences? I have no problems paying for apps and im aware there is a trial. I will be trying it shortly when I have some time. What I really love to hear though, is how much it changed your "lives"

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

netsyd
Old
Thanks Meter 200
I personally haven't used Touchdown, but I have a couple techs in my department who swear by it.

I'm basically 24/7 (sys admin) so all my email is push. I've honestly never even looked at how long you could set sync times for, so I was surprised that the longest most apps will let you go is one hour. That's just crazy.

MailWise has a "never" sync option that might work for you. It also has a bunch of options available when you swipe like delete, move, star. Nothing programmable unfortunately, but still better than just delete.

Current Devices:
Galaxy S4 Mini - SGH-i257m on AT&T LTE
Nexus 5 32 GB Running Kangakat

First Smartphone:
HTC Wizard
The Following User Says Thank You to netsyd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7520
Yeah it was certainly once a day on aosp jellybean, so its a recent change.

I'm the opposite to you. I don't need or get alerts. I just use my personal device if i'm halfway to a machine and i've forgotten where it is exactly... or if I need to contact another user. I'm a really "on demand" kinda guy

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

drunch
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Before you pay for an app like Touchdown, try CloudMagic, it's a fairly new application that is now finally available on Android!

I've tried just about every replacement email out there including Touchdown, and as far as I'm concerned CloudMagic is by far the best one yet (especially for ActiveSynce/Corporate Email). The interface is extremely clean and it has swipe to delete. Also the search function is really good.

It's available on the PlayStore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drunch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scottak
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default Try Moxier Mail

I've been using Moxier Mail (on Play store, I'd post the link but I'm not allowed to do that yet...) for years and have never needed anything else. Not sure about the swipe to delete/archive thing, but syncing is very flexible. I set mind up to do push between 7am-7pm Mon-Fri and to only check once per day on the weekends.

Moxier also does Outlook contact syncing. Last I checked the stock app doesn't, and this was one of the big selling points for me. Because I'm lazy, and don't want to enter all of those email addresses in two places...
The Following User Says Thank You to scottak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7520
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottak View Post
I've been using Moxier Mail (on Play store, I'd post the link but I'm not allowed to do that yet...) for years and have never needed anything else. Not sure about the swipe to delete/archive thing, but syncing is very flexible. I set mind up to do push between 7am-7pm Mon-Fri and to only check once per day on the weekends.

Moxier also does Outlook contact syncing. Last I checked the stock app doesn't, and this was one of the big selling points for me. Because I'm lazy, and don't want to enter all of those email addresses in two places...
The stock app does GAL lookup and activesync does incorporate corporate contacts into contacts. I'd prefer pretty much just lookup though. I don't want contacts

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

EmperorX
Old
Thanks Meter 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunch View Post
Before you pay for an app like Touchdown, try CloudMagic, it's a fairly new application that is now finally available on Android!

I've tried just about every replacement email out there including Touchdown, and as far as I'm concerned CloudMagic is by far the best one yet (especially for ActiveSynce/Corporate Email). The interface is extremely clean and it has swipe to delete. Also the search function is really good.

It's available on the PlayStore.
Doesn't work with calendar so a worthless app for me. Mailwise in where it is at.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to EmperorX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cervantesjc
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Touchdown, is a great mail client, I have been using it for quite a bit, and since my company has a deal with Nitro desk, I don't have to pay for the app.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
YOU WANNA STARS?... I'LL GIVE YOU STARS
The Following User Says Thank You to cervantesjc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jlevy73
Old
Thanks Meter 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorX View Post
Doesn't work with calendar so a worthless app for me. Mailwise in where it is at.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
No option for IMAP push mail on Mailwise is a deal breaker for me. Definitely a nice looking mail app, perhaps they will add that to future updates. I'l stick with Aqua Mail, handles exchange and imap perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlevy73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]