Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,938 Members 49,079 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tronsmart Orion R28 RK3288 Cortex A7 Quad Core TV BOX Discuss

Tip us?

GeekEric
Old
(Last edited by GeekEric; 6th September 2014 at 02:29 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Tronsmart Orion R28 RK3288 Cortex A7 Quad Core TV BOX Discuss

Just saw this from my google+, finally there is reputation brand to release the rk3288 model.

Tronsmart Orion R28 will be the company’s first model to feature a Rockchip RK3288 ARM Cortex-A17 processor, there should be three version for this model. Pro,Meta, Telos. they will release the Pro and meta at first, the following three things make orion r28 unusual:

Fully SDK open for geeks/developers to help improve the software in future;
Built in OTA function (over the air software update ), so customers don't need to worry how to flash the firmware;
4GB Telos is really a plus for the guy who want to run Linux or ubuntu on it.

Now there is the presale on geek buying, you can see it here
http://promotion.geekbuying.com/prom...ini_pc_release

I have grab one, and once i get, will share my first thought with you guys.

Update on 6th Sep:
Antutu screenshot:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-04-03-49-02.png
Views:	293
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	2926169

Tronsmart Orion r28 coming with rooted

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-23-02.png
Views:	177
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	2926172

Output screen resolution. because my TV don't support 4K @60HZ, so i just can see the max screen resolution is 4K @30hz. it will auto detected my TV resolution when i first connect; 1080P 24hz is great

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-15-24.png
Views:	154
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	2926173

About audio output, it support PCM, spdif passthrough, and hdmi passthrough, test the spdif passthrough via xbmc, It can work well.

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-17-02.png
Views:	131
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2926174

and let's keep talking the Tronsmart Orion R28 in this thread, the reviews, the problem feedback, the root method, firmware etc. i will keep updated the post.

Helen Li
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Tronsmart Orion R28

Tronsmart Orion R28 is really a powerful Android tv box which reaches a new level with the strongest quad core CPU - RK3288. But it seems haven't be listed yet.

bluesmanuk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I shall be one of the recipients of the first batch of the R28 Meta, which has just been shipped, so looking forward to testing, evaluation, posting reviews and having a look at the included SDK.

houston_
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Hey there, i am very interested into this box _and_ the prior one too.
To be exactly: Tronsmart Vega S89-H Amlogic S802-H

The Amlogic S802-H CPU has DTS and Dolby hardware decoding, does the RK3288 have this too?
More basically, is this needed? Or can i watch/hear my movies anyway?

I know one big difference between the two is that rk3288 supports H.265, isn't that only a question about installed codecs?

If you could choose, which chip you would prefer? I was about to order the S89-H but then i found the Orion R28 and now i am confused which one i should choose

Another thing (not that important) ... Does the Orion have custom roms or is anyone already working on one?
The S89-H works much nicer after Finless (Bob) made his Finless Rom for it. So I hope that will happen to the Orion as well.

Thanks in advance
HTC Desire HD // ENG S-Off // ViperDHD 3.0.1
HTC One // S-Off // ViperOne 6.2.1 // TWRP-2.7.0.0 build 2.7 4.05.05 // ElementalX 14.11 -Not working right now
If you're tired of tea, then you're tired of life.

If you want to thank me:
Thank me via Dropbox
Thank me via Copy Cloud (5GB for both)
Or just press "thanks" ; )

GeekEric
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston_ View Post
Hey there, i am very interested into this box _and_ the prior one too.
To be exactly: Tronsmart Vega S89-H Amlogic S802-H

The Amlogic S802-H CPU has DTS and Dolby hardware decoding, does the RK3288 have this too?
More basically, is this needed? Or can i watch/hear my movies anyway?

I know one big difference between the two is that rk3288 supports H.265, isn't that only a question about installed codecs?

If you could choose, which chip you would prefer? I was about to order the S89-H but then i found the Orion R28 and now i am confused which one i should choose

Another thing (not that important) ... Does the Orion have custom roms or is anyone already working on one?
The S89-H works much nicer after Finless (Bob) made his Finless Rom for it. So I hope that will happen to the Orion as well.

Thanks in advance
Tronsmart Vega S89 has released for a while, and there are tons of custom rom which support it. also after the develop, now most of bugs have been solved. and the most import the Amlogic chip support XBMC well.

Tronsmart Orion R28 is the new products. Geekbuying just release first bulk for 200pcs for geekers and test, and want them to improve them, so for custom roms, don't worry, i think the developers are already working on it. RK3288 GPU is Mali T764, which is better a lot than Mali 450 which used in amlogic S802. so for 3d gaming, the rk3288 is better a lot than amlogic s802.

If you don't hurry, then wait the factory, and developer to make the Tronsmart Orion r28 better. if you mainly use it for media streaming (xbmc), then you can get Tronsmart Vega S89-H.

houston_
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Well then I will wait for the Orion, especially the Telos version. If the price isn't much higher than the meta I will take that one. Maybe the meta will get a price drop on release of the Telos.

I want the box mainly for watching movies.
(can I even plug a external USB hard drive on the box? Or do I need to create a nas?)

Right now I am sitting with a Netgear NeoTV 550... Piece of crap...
Netgear decided to drop support while there were many bugs and system crashes reported... But playing movies is okay xD

Thanks for your message, that was a nice summary

Br Stimmenhotel
HTC Desire HD // ENG S-Off // ViperDHD 3.0.1
HTC One // S-Off // ViperOne 6.2.1 // TWRP-2.7.0.0 build 2.7 4.05.05 // ElementalX 14.11 -Not working right now
If you're tired of tea, then you're tired of life.

If you want to thank me:
Thank me via Dropbox
Thank me via Copy Cloud (5GB for both)
Or just press "thanks" ; )

Steffe89
Old
Thanks Meter 1
How's the wifi performance? The 5ghz band in particular...

-=Jeff=-
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Does this (or any) Android PC have the USB/Serial driver built in the kernel? that is one thing I need in a Android PC/Stick

ILLESTNOIZE
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Orion r28 meta

so far so good smooth operation remote control is basic however once you get used to it it's better than most other Android remotes the music player is nice Android 4.4 kit kat looks great on here I use it for XBMC there is only one XBMC apk that works petfectly with this box and even the amazon fire tv its KODI Helix alpha version from the great Keyan from team Kodi can be found online it was compiled for the unreleased Android TV box I'll report back with any hiccups but everything is pretty good better than most other Android boxes I've ever tested too early to compare it to the amazon fire tv but im thinking that way still the more testing involved but so far pleasantly surprised I'm using an Ethernet connection so I'll try using the dual WiFi AC with my dlink AC router I'll report back soon

Tags
tronsmart orion r28