Ask a question

No registration required

bandwidth hog solution

OP x3shift

24th August 2014, 08:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
is there a solution to the bandwidth hogging CC? i have 30mbps and my internet literally become unusable when someone is using chromecast to stream netflix/youtube. all my webpages dont show up, thats how bad it is. im also on xfinity and MUST use their router since i have phone and cable. the router wont let me change any settings.
Last edited by x3shift; 24th August 2014 at 09:00 AM.
24th August 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #2  
Flag Düsseldorf
Thanks Meter: 1,058

655 posts
Donate to Me
More
In theory you could root it, SSH into it and limit the wifi datarate.
The Following User Says Thank You to TamCore For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 103

308 posts
You shouldn't have that problem with streaming to the Chromecast. Even HD video streaming wouldn't take up a fraction of your internet bandwidth. For example a Netflix HD stream takes about 5.5 mbps. We routinely stream internet video to the Chromecast while downloading and browsing web pages on a 16 mbps connection, and there is no interruption to the video stream nor any delay in loading web pages.

Are the devices you are using for web browsing on WiFi? If so then WiFi bandwidth is more likely to be the problem. In that case you might need to move your xfinity router or invest in a better router of your own.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 05:26 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 313

1,841 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3shift

is there a solution to the bandwidth hogging CC? i have 30mbps and my internet literally become unusable when someone is using chromecast to stream netflix/youtube. all my webpages dont show up, thats how bad it is. im also on xfinity and MUST use their router since i have phone and cable. the router wont let me change any settings.

It is more likely your router that is the problem not the Streaming of the CCast or limits of the Internet connection.

Depending on your router you can usually give priority to various computers and port traffic.

Some call it Media priority, Others more properly call it QoS...

What you want to do is give port 80 traffic priority and that should solve your web page issues without affecting the stream in any significant way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 05:52 PM   |  #5  

308 posts
Unfortunately he has one of those locked-down routers provided by the ISP that doesn't let you access settings like QoS. But in any case, it's unlikely to be a priority problem in the router with the kind of usage he is talking about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
need to be able to tweak router settings, network mode, channel, channel width, security mode etc to get best perfromance.
24th August 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1

You shouldn't have that problem with streaming to the Chromecast. Even HD video streaming wouldn't take up a fraction of your internet bandwidth. For example a Netflix HD stream takes about 5.5 mbps. We routinely stream internet video to the Chromecast while downloading and browsing web pages on a 16 mbps connection, and there is no interruption to the video stream nor any delay in loading web pages.

Are the devices you are using for web browsing on WiFi? If so then WiFi bandwidth is more likely to be the problem. In that case you might need to move your xfinity router or invest in a better router of your own.

All the other devices are running on wifi. Actually im the only one browsing the internet while cc is being used. Internet becomes unusable, webpage wont load. The router is closer to me than to the cc. I cannot invest in a different router because noone makes routers that use phone and cable together thats why im forced to use ****ty comcast router.
24th August 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 313

1,841 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1

Unfortunately he has one of those locked-down routers provided by the ISP that doesn't let you access settings like QoS. But in any case, it's unlikely to be a priority problem in the router with the kind of usage he is talking about.

Ahhh no wonder he is having issues! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3shift

All the other devices are running on wifi. Actually im the only one browsing the internet while cc is being used. Internet becomes unusable, webpage wont load. The router is closer to me than to the cc. I cannot invest in a different router because noone makes routers that use phone and cable together thats why im forced to use ****ty comcast router.

You don't have to replace the ISP provided router at all...(You would be hard pressed to find a router that did Phone anyway)
You could use any Wireless router you wanted but you would have to call your ISP and tell them you need them to put their provided router into Bridge mode (they will do it for you trust me you just have to be insistent). Then your current router would pass a Public IP to whatever router you connect to it and you would have complete control over your router and network settings.
24th August 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #9  

308 posts
Your problem certainly seems to be related to WiFi bandwidth. You could try moving your ISP's router - sometimes even a few feet can make a big difference in WiFi reception. But you can probably do a lot better using your own router.

You don't even have to put the ISP router in bridge mode. My current ISP gives me a combined modem+router where the router section is also locked down in certain ways, and they won't allow bridging. I just attach my own router as a device on the ISP router's LAN, put it in the DMZ so that all ports get passed through, and turn off the WiFi on the ISP router and use my own router's WiFi. You don't even have to disable the ISP router's WiFi really if you aren't using it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread