Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

BBC iPlayer issues outside UK

Tip us?

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default BBC iPlayer issues outside UK

Hi guys, I am yet to fully enjoy iPlayer on Chromecast. I use Unlocator as my DNS provider and they managed to work out the way to watch iPlayer stuff outside of UK. But the streaming speeds are really bad and so far I didn't enjoy a single show. It seems like it buffers every 10 seconds or so so I am suspecting Unlocator (and their method to unblock it) at this stage. PC, Android, iPad all seems to work fine without any buffering and in full HD.

I would really like to hear some of your experiences but also ideas or feedback about other DNS providers. I also have HMA VPN subscription that I haven't tested yet because that is my absolute last option.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 762

DONATE TO ME
The behavior you describe sound like network latency.
If you can force a specific rate or resolution that can help.
Also make sure Chromecast has a stable WiFi connection.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

irish-sid
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Could be the provider. Try unblock-us for a week trial.
Also, have you set the chromecast up to block access to the google dns servers?

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
Could be the provider. Try unblock-us for a week trial.
Also, have you set the chromecast up to block access to the google dns servers?
Do Unblock-US support Chromecast? I used them some time ago, before I moved to Unlocator. I might give it a go.

irish-sid
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
Do Unblock-US support Chromecast? I used them some time ago, before I moved to Unlocator. I might give it a go.
It's not about supporting Chromecast, it's about having the dns address on your router and then blocking the Chromecast from accessing the Google dns address which it defaults to. You need to do that in static route.
But yeah, I use unblock us, works very well. It has an easy Netflix region switcher without having to change addresses so you can use any Netflix. (Not sure if yourd offers that too?)
The Following User Says Thank You to irish-sid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
It's not about supporting Chromecast, it's about having the dns address on your router and then blocking the Chromecast from accessing the Google dns address which it defaults to. You need to do that in static route.
But yeah, I use unblock us, works very well. It has an easy Netflix region switcher without having to change addresses so you can use any Netflix. (Not sure if yourd offers that too?)
The problem with iPlayer on Chromecast is because BBC implemented an extra step to look up geo location. Are you outside UK? Is iPlayer working for you?

I use Eureka ROM so DNS change for me is trivial.

irish-sid
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
The problem with iPlayer on Chromecast is because BBC implemented an extra step to look up geo location. Are you outside UK? Is iPlayer working for you?

I use Eureka ROM so DNS change for me is trivial.
Ah right, fair enough.
I'm in Southern Ireland and just tested the app and website, both stream fine.

Just to make sure, you don't need to refresh your ip address on the unlocator site? With unblockus, if you reboot your router (with a dynamic ip) you need to refresh your ip address on the site by clicking a link that pops up.
The Following User Says Thank You to irish-sid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Ah right, fair enough.
I'm in Southern Ireland and just tested the app and website, both stream fine.

Just to make sure, you don't need to refresh your ip address on the unlocator site? With unblockus, if you reboot your router (with a dynamic ip) you need to refresh your ip address on the site by clicking a link that pops up.
Thanks, I'll test Unblock tonight. I hope the issue is not network latency, I have no issues streaming Netflix in full HD.