Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

BBC iPlayer issues outside UK

OP jasenko

1st July 2014, 06:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
165 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Hi guys, I am yet to fully enjoy iPlayer on Chromecast. I use Unlocator as my DNS provider and they managed to work out the way to watch iPlayer stuff outside of UK. But the streaming speeds are really bad and so far I didn't enjoy a single show. It seems like it buffers every 10 seconds or so so I am suspecting Unlocator (and their method to unblock it) at this stage. PC, Android, iPad all seems to work fine without any buffering and in full HD.

I would really like to hear some of your experiences but also ideas or feedback about other DNS providers. I also have HMA VPN subscription that I haven't tested yet because that is my absolute last option.
1st July 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #2  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882
 
2,248 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
The behavior you describe sound like network latency.
If you can force a specific rate or resolution that can help.
Also make sure Chromecast has a stable WiFi connection.
2nd July 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #3  
irish-sid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 181
 
628 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Could be the provider. Try unblock-us for a week trial.
Also, have you set the chromecast up to block access to the google dns servers?
3rd July 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
165 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

Could be the provider. Try unblock-us for a week trial.
Also, have you set the chromecast up to block access to the google dns servers?

Do Unblock-US support Chromecast? I used them some time ago, before I moved to Unlocator. I might give it a go.
3rd July 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #5  
irish-sid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 181
 
628 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko

Do Unblock-US support Chromecast? I used them some time ago, before I moved to Unlocator. I might give it a go.

It's not about supporting Chromecast, it's about having the dns address on your router and then blocking the Chromecast from accessing the Google dns address which it defaults to. You need to do that in static route.
But yeah, I use unblock us, works very well. It has an easy Netflix region switcher without having to change addresses so you can use any Netflix. (Not sure if yourd offers that too?)
The Following User Says Thank You to irish-sid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2014, 12:06 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
165 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

It's not about supporting Chromecast, it's about having the dns address on your router and then blocking the Chromecast from accessing the Google dns address which it defaults to. You need to do that in static route.
But yeah, I use unblock us, works very well. It has an easy Netflix region switcher without having to change addresses so you can use any Netflix. (Not sure if yourd offers that too?)

The problem with iPlayer on Chromecast is because BBC implemented an extra step to look up geo location. Are you outside UK? Is iPlayer working for you?

I use Eureka ROM so DNS change for me is trivial.
4th July 2014, 12:11 AM   |  #7  
irish-sid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 181
 
628 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko

The problem with iPlayer on Chromecast is because BBC implemented an extra step to look up geo location. Are you outside UK? Is iPlayer working for you?

I use Eureka ROM so DNS change for me is trivial.

Ah right, fair enough.
I'm in Southern Ireland and just tested the app and website, both stream fine.

Just to make sure, you don't need to refresh your ip address on the unlocator site? With unblockus, if you reboot your router (with a dynamic ip) you need to refresh your ip address on the site by clicking a link that pops up.
The Following User Says Thank You to irish-sid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2014, 02:06 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
165 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

Ah right, fair enough.
I'm in Southern Ireland and just tested the app and website, both stream fine.

Just to make sure, you don't need to refresh your ip address on the unlocator site? With unblockus, if you reboot your router (with a dynamic ip) you need to refresh your ip address on the site by clicking a link that pops up.

Thanks, I'll test Unblock tonight. I hope the issue is not network latency, I have no issues streaming Netflix in full HD.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes