Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,476 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[CHROME-EXTENSION] Thundercast

Tip us?

bio-xda
Old
(Last edited by bio-xda; 29th June 2014 at 02:48 PM.) Reason: Update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [CHROME-EXTENSION] Thundercast

I'm writing an extension to send various contents from the web to the chromecast. If you are brave enough you can give it a try.

Update 0.8 (the new version is taking shape)
Major changes: new name. : )
Minor changes: the UI is more conventional but is the result of the code simplification and allows avoiding some operations, like javascript injections.

To install the extension you have to drag and drop the crx file in the extensions tab (chrome://extensions)
If you use the stable channel of chrome, google will likely block the extension soon after the first restart of the browser. In that case, to use it further, I suggest installing chrome canary.

dropbox link: goo.gl/kgatdZ

PS: forgive my English
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bio-xda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

albanodesign
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio-xda View Post
Iíve written a chrome extension I use to send various contents from the web to the chromecast. If you are brave enough you can give it a try.

To install the extension you have to drag and drop the crx file in the extensions tab (chrome://extensions)

dropbox link: goo.gl/kgatdZ

PS: forgive my English
What does it do more than google cast?

bio-xda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by albanodesign View Post
What does it do more than google cast?
Basically it forces the use of the cast API so your pc wonít act as the server of the video but only as the remote controller, mimic the behavior of youtube in websites that donít support chromecast.

Flowah
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio-xda View Post
Basically it forces the use of the cast API so your pc wonít act as the server of the video but only as the remote controller, mimic the behavior of youtube in websites that donít support chromecast.
Does that have any advantages? I notice that often, casting the entire tab of a screen playing a video makes it tough on my Chromecast whereas the Youtube implementation works pretty smoothly. Does using your version make it smoother?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 808

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Does that have any advantages? I notice that often, casting the entire tab of a screen playing a video makes it tough on my Chromecast whereas the Youtube implementation works pretty smoothly. Does using your version make it smoother?
It should, as the extension is telling Chromecast to go grab the media directly, rather than your PC trying to encode from the screen and send the (re)encoded video to Chromecast.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amkhafaga
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Did anyone try it ?

ckret
Old
Thanks Meter 183

DONATE TO ME
its working good
but i also have to have the cc extensionn running to cast directly to cc
would be nice if that is automatic

kawaiichi
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I tried at yify.tv, doesn't work, extension always fail to transfer source to chromecast with the red ! sign on the extension icon.

bio-xda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiichi View Post
I tried at yify.tv, doesn't work, extension always fail to transfer source to chromecast with the red ! sign on the extension icon.
Unfortunately youíre right, Iíve never had to deal with video urls like theirs. There are many things that need to be improved, i hope to find the time

smue83
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Awesome extension... exactly what i was looking for... my mother just has an old slow laptop n with this extension streaming simple flash streams works like a charm. With google cast its realy realy laggy.. so thnx n keep on working

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to smue83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]